Author Topic: (Suggestion) Hoplite Guide  (Read 2516 times)

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
(Suggestion) Hoplite Guide
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:23:21 pm »
I was just wondering and it'd be pretty nice if somebody compiled a guide to being a Hoplite, it'd be nice to learn from other players, and maybe I'd learn something new from it. And it could also help newer players too. So if anyones up for it, I'm sure theres a number of people who would probably chuck in their two pence.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: (Suggestion) Hoplite Guide
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:34:33 pm »
hoplites is not something I'd recommend for newer players.  You are pretty much support only and wont be getting many kills as spears take 1/3 dmg & speed penalty when used with shield.  You are useless and deadmate if separated from teammates.

Offline Prosed

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Raawr
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Prosed
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:20:39 pm »
... you could try to write a guide yourself?
I just can't wait to be King.

Offline Socrates

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Philosophy is a way of life
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ascended Order
  • Game nicks: Socrates
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:23:08 pm »
+1
The act of justice is not determined by the state.

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 01:02:15 am »
Thank you very much comrade.

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phalanx
  • Game nicks: Phalanx_Griffin
  • IRC nick: Phalanx_Griffin
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 11:11:55 am »
Hoplites are great fun to play, though admittedly if you are Spear/Shield only and don't want to go 2 handed in 1v1's then you have to do some learning!

The guide pretty much explained the two most important moves:
1. The shovel, aim low then drag high as your arm extends. Gives you the speed and power to do some damage even from close range.
2. The spin, (my favourite), I often open with this by pretending im not looking at you then spinning. Alternatively this can work in 1v1 duels as you circle around the enemy quick stabs and spins will often find the back of the enemy.

I have for the most part focused many of my Hoplite builds around a secondary weapon. So at the moment I have throwing as secondary to allow me that something different in combat. However, a broad short sword always works a treat. If you have to go 1v1, you may as well be equipped for it right?

Obviously the biggest strength of the Hoplites is in numbers. 2 of you can cause a serious annoyance to even the best of players, if you engage enemies one Hoplite retains his spear the other takes on a short sword and acts as the main blocker.  Hoplite 1 (spear/shield) attacks from behind Hoplite 2 (sword/shield) as soon as the enemy tries to swing or loses concentration.   Timed well with your partner you can lunge with the spear and strike with his sword at the same time preventing anyone but a shielder from taking a nasty hit.

One of the ATS videos actually demonstrates this quite well, I forget the video link at the moment.  If your using a Hoplite, keep going, one day they will make us balanced :D. (*Cough* Two attack animations, everyone can tell the difference between someone trying to stab with a Jarid and a throw a Jarid - Because grip turns to overhand)
There is no truth only a series of interpretations.

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:13:14 am »
Equiptment:

Spears: Awl Pike / War spear / Red Tassle / Short spear / Fork
Sword: Broad short sword (or any short sword alternative).
Shields: Heavy round / Cav / Huscarl
Throwing: Jarids, spears, Pilums.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:37:49 am »
+1
Equiptment:

Spears: Awl Pike / War spear / Red Tassle / Short spear / Fork
Sword: Broad short sword (or any short sword alternative).
Shields: Heavy round / Cav / Huscarl
Throwing: Jarids, spears, Pilums.

Shortened spear, round steel buckler and an agility build turn you into a portable sewingmachine.

Something like this build:

(click to show/hide)

I only chose 5 shieldskill and 3 more IF, since the steel buckler is allready sturdy enough as it is vs normal weapons and even with 8 skill it will still break in 3-4 hits from a shieldbreaker.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:42:56 am by Spawny »

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:16:34 pm »
Shortened spear, round steel buckler and an agility build turn you into a portable sewingmachine.

Something like this build:

(click to show/hide)

I only chose 5 shieldskill and 3 more IF, since the steel buckler is allready sturdy enough as it is vs normal weapons and even with 8 skill it will still break in 3-4 hits from a shieldbreaker.

Never tried one of these looks interesting, how does it perform vs tincans?    +1 Spawny's build

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 12:37:29 pm »
Never tried one of these looks interesting, how does it perform vs tincans?    +1 Spawny's build

I'm currently using a 12/27 build with a shortened spear without a shield and it's so fast you can continuously stab people. The shortened spear has 26 pierce damage, which isn't bad and will hurt.
Strength builds will take a few stabs to take down, especially in heavy armour. You make up for that in speed and when you put away your buckler for a 1v1 fight you can easily stun someone with a sideswing and then poke them to death.
It's tricky vs skilled blockers though, cuz you have to get a hit in first.

Best part imo about this build is the shortness of the spear. Allows for much easier close range stabs. Combined with the speed of the shield/build/weapon and proper footwork you can stab twice and hit with the second one as the enemy tries to hit back.

It's good for teamwork, because the 8 athletics let's you dance in and out of range when the enemy is fighting your teammate. Also, you can easily surprise an enemy by lunging forward and stabbing them in the face.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 09:05:50 pm »
I once played a hoplite build/cav (they mesh well, cav being polearm users). It was very fun, but also extremely frustrating. Your damage output is very small, and you will find that you will not get many kills, despite the fact that you may regularly stab individuals four or five times.

It is possible to go 1 v 1 with spear and shield. It's difficult as balls, but doable. Much easier if you switch to normal polearm mode, though.

If you're not going cav, I'd suggest splitting your wpf between 1h and polearms. In a 1v1 situation, or if you actually want kills, you can drop your war spear and start chopping some faces.

Spear and shield users excel in group fights, and are fantastic support players. It's amazingly fun. But as I've said, the problem with this build is frustration--you will hit people many times, but they will not die.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 09:09:04 pm »
I'm currently using a 12/27 build with a shortened spear without a shield and it's so fast you can continuously stab people. The shortened spear has 26 pierce damage, which isn't bad and will hurt.
Strength builds will take a few stabs to take down, especially in heavy armour. You make up for that in speed and when you put away your buckler for a 1v1 fight you can easily stun someone with a sideswing and then poke them to death.
It's tricky vs skilled blockers though, cuz you have to get a hit in first.

Best part imo about this build is the shortness of the spear. Allows for much easier close range stabs. Combined with the speed of the shield/build/weapon and proper footwork you can stab twice and hit with the second one as the enemy tries to hit back.

It's good for teamwork, because the 8 athletics let's you dance in and out of range when the enemy is fighting your teammate. Also, you can easily surprise an enemy by lunging forward and stabbing them in the face.

the problem with gimmick builds like this is you get 1 shot if you make a mistake.  Plus you are pretty much throwing protection from ranged out the door...which defeats the entire purpose of a hoplite build

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 12:37:57 am »
I have to admit that I enjoy 7 power strike. And my favourite build so far uses a short sword and spear. But sometimes I miss the Huscarl shield and rock a shortened spear instead.

Throwing weapons fit the theme perfectly and make you into a kind of Hoplite come Peltist.  I'm experimenting with throwing lances to use throwing / polearm and sword together with a shield, it may be to weak in certain areas.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:40:28 am by TheGriffin88 »

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 01:41:59 am »
I've been playing with a War spear and Elite Cavalry shield in light armour at the moment, with 6 Athletics and it really helps compensate for the lack of length that the war spear has(Having learnt the length of my spear very well) I can quickly move in and stab then sneak out. If the situation is looking dire, I switch to my Soldier's cleaver and engage the opponent in a more personal fashion. I'm having alot of fun with the build and I find it rather useful for Strategus(For Strategus I normally use the longest/shield spear I can get, because that extra distance can do alot for my survival rating, especially when the battlefield moves so rapidly at times).

I've also got about 5 powerstrike at the moment and soon I'll reach 6 powerstrike in the future, it seems to be doing me quite abit of good as I am able to at times strike an opponent with my spear and nab a kill, and I can general kill a guy with 2/3 hits with my Soldier's cleaver. I'm not really bothered with the fact that my character is heavily reliant on the help of allies, because again this is a build I've decided to stick with for Strategus and if I do feel like alittle independence, I've got a handful of Alts to play with.

Anyways, this is all very great. Its nice to see everyone discussing, this could be a very important topic for people looking to play as Hoplites themselves. Personally I would recommend it. Though beware as many of the top tier players will rage when they are defeated by your teamwork!  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:47:17 am by The_Angle »