Poll

Should submitting a kick/ban poll that fails dock you a multiplier point, just like a failed leecher report does?

Yes
22 (48.9%)
No
23 (51.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Failed Poll = Loss of Multiplier  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Barbas

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • Great President of Hell
    • View Profile
Failed Poll = Loss of Multiplier
« on: August 08, 2011, 03:47:39 pm »
Given that the devs think it appropriate that a failed leecher report should result in a multiplier loss to dissuade people from rampant, illegitimate leecher-reporting, I think it reasonable that the same should apply to failed kick/ban polls.

Polling doesn't really work right now.  Perhaps in them most egregious cases, as if someone just goes on a TK rampage, there tends to be a successful ban.  But in general, polling is often so ridiculously frequent that players simply have no time to seriously evaluate the legitimacy of a poll.  Many ignore it, or automatically vote '2', or just vote randomly.  No doubt this is exasperated by the fact that many pollers don't explain the reason for their poll - or at least not until well after it has been submitted.  And in any case, how am I to know if the poller is correct in calling a tk intentional, or that they themselves did not first attack a teammate?

A penalty for failed polls should 1) reduce the number of polls, and 2) encourage poll-submitters to state their reasons before submitting the poll, so the poll is more likely to be successful.  With fewer polls and better polling etiquette, more players would take voting seriously and polling could become a more useful tool rather than the annoyance it is now.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Failed Poll = Loss of Multiplier
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:49:13 pm »
No, I've seen ban/kick polls fail numerous times even for justifiable kicks/bans. People just press 1/2 without reading what it was for.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 04:06:39 pm »
Vibes right. I do it myself. People just automatically press a number most of the time. Even for the obviously kickable/bannable offences and when people actually give reasons. Most people either don't pay attention to the chat, or just don't care.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 04:13:00 pm »
I always press 1 so this intrigues me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 04:22:00 pm »
No, thank you. Would punish the good and just pollers.

Offline Barbas

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 05:00:10 pm »
Like I said, I don't pay attention to the polls either - but that's because there's a bloody poll every 60 seconds.  If people didn't carelessly spam them out of anger - because there was some cost if the poll failed - there would be less of them, and I'd be far more likely to pay attention.

Besides:  If I QML a naked leecher who is hiding off in the corner of a map, I still lose my multiplier if they notice and press 'M' despite the obvious legitimacy of my leecher report.

Offline Myltinous

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: Rhemus_Myltinous, Pippin_McGee
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 01:46:09 am »
I vote 2 unless I know. "Innocent untill proven guilty"  :mrgreen:
"One who thinks is one who conspires"
Ryan Myltoft
1992-present

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 11:29:21 am »
I vote 2 unless I know. "Innocent untill proven guilty"  :mrgreen:

I do the contrary. "Guilty until proved innocent"  :lol:

Anyway, punishing failed leech report is already bad because only people that have no multi do it (so on average a little bit more than half the server). Even if I see clearly afk people, I never report them if I have a multi. Doing the same for kick and banpolls would lead to even more impunity.

Offline Barbas

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 05:01:14 pm »
Even if you're only at x1 multi, a failed leecher report will take you to x0 - no gold/xp at all.

Anyway.. I'm just saying, for whatever reason the devs think that is reasonable, so it should be even more clearly appropriate for failed polls.  Polls are even more disruptive than leecher-reporting since they show up for everyone on the server.  And of course, if someone makes a false leecher report against you, you can just hit 'M' and it's no big deal - whereas it is possible you may be kicked/banned even by an illegitimate poll.

Offline Adalwulf

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Adalwulf
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:48:59 pm »
I'm quite annoyed by polls all the time...that's what admins are for. Just press "i" and type to the admin...Most people also just poll people without stating why until people ask why. They should state they are sending a pole and people will know why. When I get a vote poll pop up I just press 2 because it's annoying.

Offline Myltinous

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: Rhemus_Myltinous, Pippin_McGee
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 02:22:49 am »

I do the contrary. "Guilty until proved innocent"  :lol:

Anyway, punishing failed leech report is already bad because only people that have no multi do it (so on average a little bit more than half the server). Even if I see clearly afk people, I never report them if I have a multi. Doing the same for kick and banpolls would lead to even more impunity.
"Kill him before he prove's his innocence" is even better  :mrgreen:
"One who thinks is one who conspires"
Ryan Myltoft
1992-present