Author Topic: Old upkeep back  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Old upkeep back
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:24:55 am »
+1
As you all know the latest patch increased upkeep even further. I'm interested in what were the reasons to do that.

I believe the old repair costs were just fine, you didn't see people running around in plate all the time and those who did use expensive gear are still doing it after the patch.

Why give 10 customization options and "force" players to choose between 3 out of those 10?

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
Re: Old upkeep back
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:03:33 am »
upkeep is fine, I can afford to constantly use the most expensive polearm in the game and I make money, I'd actually increase upkeep further, and increase the cost of bows/xbows as well :P (so like longbow=cost of elegant poleaxe/flamberge etc)
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:43:59 pm »
Most people now have x3 loomed mid tier armors and gloves thus infact everyone is wearing a light version of the black plate armor just without the huge weight.  :mrgreen:

Just think about it for a sec the upkeep now prevents low gen characters to not get the armor bonus of the vets without having to pay shitload of upkeep for a slower and expensive counter part being none heirloomed plate armors.

Just saying...

Infact all the upkeep is doing is preventing new comers to wear high lvl´s of body armor and screwing with people that dont have a full set of heirlooms and cant sell their loom points.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:47:27 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:19:40 pm »
although it is harder for new players to earn money, as a semi-vet thats been playing for 2 months...I can no longer wear anything I want, especially with a x5.  I DO have to decide when I want to break out the good stuff.  Repair on a plated charger costs 3 maps worth of x5

I've even seen vets that wore plate 24/7 downgrade to more affordable gear.  The change IS doing its job...given even more time and most everyone but the richest players will fall in line.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:03:49 pm »
I've even seen vets that wore plate 24/7 downgrade to more affordable gear.  The change IS doing its job...given even more time and most everyone but the richest players will fall in line.

Wrong.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,12364.0.html

I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:10:28 pm »
I really liked the old system and I dont get whats wrong with it.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:11:38 pm »
+1
Wrong.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,12364.0.html

yep and having them constantly retire basically nerfs them just like wearing decent gear would have done

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:26:42 pm »
I am heavily testing the latest patch with a bunch of newely created alts just to see how bad this is from a new-players perspective (though obviously I will have an easier time since I already know the dos/do-nots of upkeep and other such things like how the play the multiplier/gear game of what to use when).

My latest experiment is a shielder who is going to wear 43K worth of gear 24/7 (Never higher nor lower regardless of the multiplier, and play battle and siege only no DTV, and no grinding in low gear either), my highest yet (Normally I hover at 41K or less) and see how that goes. Due to the way upkeep is now negated for low level Gen 1 characters, I shall see how exactly this works out by the time I hit level 31. If I find that I am still making money slowly but surely over the long run then I shall increase the amount I wear until I, in theory, break even at the theoretical 46K-ish number for sustainability.

So far though I like the new upkeep system besides what it does to Cavalry players, but then again I suppose it was an effort to make them more rare, but still I am a little dissapointed.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:28:05 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 09:05:49 pm »
So far though I like the new upkeep system besides what it does to Cavalry players, but then again I suppose it was an effort to make them more rare, but still I am a little dissapointed.

Maybe it was an NA-only trend just like the bec, but iirc cav wasn't that common before the upkeep increase.

Anyway, I make gold out of trading heirlooms so it's not really my problem anymore. However, this is really sad for newcomers and people that don't want/don't have the time to play the marketplace. And I don't even mentioned that we need people to loose money on the market in order to have traders that do profit and can pay incredible upkeep bills thanks to it, so in fact the average non-trader player can sustain less than the theoritical break-even equipment value simply because on average he looses money by interacting with traders. To spell it differently, the market is a zero-sum game, when some people earn money (gold and heirlooms) with it, others loose the same. tl;dr out of the 90% poorer players, the overall (market, loot and upkeep) cash flow allows them to wear less than the theoritical 46k ish equipment value (if they interact with the market).

And I can reasonably say that the 90% poorer players aren't traders if I don't count locked money (heirloomed items you use, and a minimal gold buffer) as being part of the player's capital.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:36:09 pm »
 :idea: heirlooms are the problem, removF