Author Topic: Long spears aka pikes  (Read 32362 times)

Offline Lange

• Baron
  • Renown: 128
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Long spears aka pikes
« Reply #390 on: August 09, 2012, 04:44:31 pm »
What is the purpose of pike couch? Can someone explain this to me? Put one end of a pike in the ground and then wait for some moronic cav to impale itself? Or what?
Hmm.... remove horse rearing from all but... :D
(Might be interesting if horses were less maneuvrable and more "chargy". As it is, pike bracing would be useless.)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #391 on: August 09, 2012, 05:47:18 pm »
They are cav deterrent weapons.  Also, they can kill cav sometimes.  That's why they are called "anti cav."

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #392 on: August 09, 2012, 06:45:02 pm »
They are cav deterrent weapons.  Also, they can kill cav sometimes.  That's why they are called "anti cav."

Yes, but they're still worse anti-cav weapons than bill, awlpikes, bamboo etc.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #393 on: August 09, 2012, 06:53:39 pm »
+5
Pike/LS are fine. If someone chooses to give away their 1v1 abilities in order to 2v1 you they shouldn't be penalized. I mean, you did make the same choice when you favored dueling over teamplay by picking a GS didn't you?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:57:22 pm by Zanze »

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #394 on: August 10, 2012, 08:13:29 am »
*sigh*
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lange

• Baron
  • Renown: 128
  • Infamy: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 10, 2012, 02:00:38 pm »
If someone chooses to give away their 1v1 abilities in order to 2v1 you they shouldn't be penalized.
Pikes have underwhelming support capability by now (low damage, only one attack direction, slow and unbalanced) yet are still capable of duels. It's balanced, but it's less fun than it could be.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #396 on: August 10, 2012, 07:28:09 pm »
+3
pikes need sideswing!!

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Ikaguia

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Smurfs_Kaisengr, ShintoRyu_MB
« Reply #397 on: August 10, 2012, 09:30:56 pm »
pikes need an overhead thrust

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 10, 2012, 10:30:21 pm »
Pikes have underwhelming support capability by now (low damage, only one attack direction, slow and unbalanced) yet are still capable of duels. It's balanced, but it's less fun than it could be.

Pikes are fantastic at support, you just have to know how to use them.  :P

And yes, they can duel, but it's not exactly easy against an opponent that understands the concepts of "Down Block" and "Thrust Stun".

I enjoy the hell out of my Pike, don't change it!

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player
  • Please respect all admins and thier decisions.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Solo
  • Game nicks: Lordark
« Reply #399 on: August 17, 2012, 09:58:55 am »
pike is like fucking uber long tree spear yet you can move it like a fucking wand baton! FUcking BS! FIX THAT SHIT!
Never forget the day Dragons came to Calradia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLxHJY0lQI&feature=related
My personal theme song, We will never surrender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1xqAjQ5e4

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 18, 2012, 04:33:02 am »
yeahh look, as much as i hate jump swing and jump stab abusers, there is a really easy way to counter the long spear.

all you need to do is stand still and hold your block down. if he gets close to try and kick slash just back away.

see who loses their patience first.

if he tries to run just follow him.

You forgot the part where it's 2 v 1 and one of them has a pike.

Player A: Random meleeist
Player B: Pikeman

Situation 1: You successfully dodge Player A, go for Player B in the back because he can reach you from a mile away, he blocks your swing, player A catches up, swing at your back, you're dead.

Situation 2: You decide to focus on Player A before engaging Player B, Player B stabs you through his teammate from a very safe reach, you're dead.

Situation 3: You decide to play defensively, Player A swings at you, you block, Player B swings at you at the same second Player A swung at you, you get stabbed through Player A because he used his mana to become ethereal while Player B was stabbing through him with his long reach.

Situation 4: You decide to play defensively again, Player B is the first one to engage you, you block, your stuck in that needlessly long down-block animation compared to the other blocs, Player A overheads you, can't block because you're stuck in that down-block animation. Assuming you didn't die, go to Situation 3, Player A swings at you, Player B stabs your guts while you're busy blocking Player A.

Now, change all these situations with 2 or hell, even 3 meleeist that doesn't have any pikes and it's suddenly much easier because you don't have someone with a weapon almost thrice as long as most weapons effortlessly controlling the tip to stab through his now ethereal teammates by just wiggling his camera around.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 18, 2012, 11:45:12 am »
+1
^

That's uhh... the whole point of taking a pike.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #402 on: August 18, 2012, 01:04:56 pm »
You forgot the part where it's 2 v 1 and one of them has a pike.

Player A: Random meleeist
Player B: Pikeman

Situation 1: You successfully dodge Player A, go for Player B in the back because he can reach you from a mile away, he blocks your swing, player A catches up, swing at your back, you're dead.

Situation 2: You decide to focus on Player A before engaging Player B, Player B stabs you through his teammate from a very safe reach, you're dead.

Situation 3: You decide to play defensively, Player A swings at you, you block, Player B swings at you at the same second Player A swung at you, you get stabbed through Player A because he used his mana to become ethereal while Player B was stabbing through him with his long reach.

Situation 4: You decide to play defensively again, Player B is the first one to engage you, you block, your stuck in that needlessly long down-block animation compared to the other blocs, Player A overheads you, can't block because you're stuck in that down-block animation. Assuming you didn't die, go to Situation 3, Player A swings at you, Player B stabs your guts while you're busy blocking Player A.

Now, change all these situations with 2 or hell, even 3 meleeist that doesn't have any pikes and it's suddenly much easier because you don't have someone with a weapon almost thrice as long as most weapons effortlessly controlling the tip to stab through his now ethereal teammates by just wiggling his camera around.
Bro, give two guys danish greatswords and some slight brains and the same thing will pretty much happen 'cept they don't stab 100% through their teammates.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 18, 2012, 01:49:12 pm »
Bro, give two guys danish greatswords and some slight brains and the same thing will pretty much happen 'cept they don't stab 100% through their teammates.

True, they'll just swing through them instead.  :lol:

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 19, 2012, 01:26:20 am »

124 reach is infinitely more manageable than 300.

^

That's uhh... the whole point of taking a pike.

I can understand that, I just wish footwork and positionning meant shit against pikes and longspears skills is almost nullified in situations like that. My footwork is literally nullified, I go out of my way and do my best to go in a line with the Pikeman and guy I'm fighting but it doesn't work jack shit.

My problem isn't the pike itself but the fact that this fucking thing has such fucked up hitboxes and collisions that you can't fucking adapt to it at all.

For exemple, I'm fighting a random melee dude, I see a pikeman coming, I try my hardest to get them in a straight line which I usually can since I play with 8 athletics, you'd figured being in a straight line with a melee guy and a pikeman would be helpful unless the pikeman wanted to kill his friends. Oh wait oops, he just used his wizardry shit to stab THROUGH his teammate despite us being in a straight line that I forced specifically so that wouldn't happen.

That also applies to walls, there's so many times I was hiding around short walls that still covered my head, drinking my water bottle thinking that guy on the other side couldn't hit me unless he ran to the other side to actually fight me but nope, just stabs above wall, curve the pike around the wall, stab everyone even remotely close to hiding behind that wall.