XP on the duel servers?

Yes
29 (76.3%)
No
8 (21.1%)
What's a duel server?
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: XP gain on duel servers  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
XP gain on duel servers
« on: August 03, 2011, 04:38:28 pm »
+4
So after calculating my average time per gen, which is about 2,5 months for me. I started thinking why a generation takes me so long. It is because I duel, a lot. I want to be good at this game and I think the best way to achieve this is duelling. But sadly there is no xp gain when duelling, and I think there should be. Some people prefer playing battle, some prefer siege and others prefer duelling. Why doesnt the third group get xp?

I'm not asking for the same amount as in siege or battle, I'm fine with less, but just some. Like before the upkeep patch. Ofcourse no gold gain on the duel server so we can keep trying out or fancy armors and plated chargers.

I've recently actually got xp on the duel server. It was just x1 and you only got when you were active, not when afk. I think that worked pretty well and I don't actually understand why it dissappeared again.

If people have other suggestions for xp on duel or can state reasons why not, I'd be glad to hear them.

EDIT: I support the system I mentioned above by the way. A constant x1 but only when you are not afk. Which I have experienced already so it's there, but it's just not activated currently.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:55:24 pm by SgtTeeh »

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
Re: XP gain on duel servers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:44:22 pm »
One of the reasons you go to duel serv is to avoid the xp/goldhungry mob, and to find likeminded people to train with (also: potential recruits)

I say "nay!"

And please use le search function before making a thread  :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:49:24 pm »
Wouldnt it be leechers heaven, as you could just stay around on the duel servers never accepting a duel? I also like the duel servers just to try out new equipment for its looks and usage without the need to fight anyone. And you wont even loose money this way like in DTV for instance.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:53:41 pm »
One of the reasons you go to duel serv is to avoid the xp/goldhungry mob, and to find likeminded people to train with (also: potential recruits)

I say "nay!"

And please use le search function before making a thread  :wink:
Thats why you should get less than in battle and siege, and no gold. So the gold hungry mob would still stay away. Also I think making a new thread would garner more attention than that half assed attempt of Ottomansniper in which he also demanded gold gain.

Wouldnt it be leechers heaven, as you could just stay around on the duel servers never accepting a duel? I also like the duel servers just to try out new equipment for its looks and usage without the need to fight anyone. And you wont even loose money this way like in DTV for instance.
As I said, there was recently xp on the duel server, but when you didnt move you didnt get it. And why would you move around without accepting a duel, thats not fun and you would always have x1, so you could avoid fighting in battle for more gain.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 05:50:33 pm »
As long as it gives a small bonus for kills for XP and does not give gold (nor track upkeek) I would be OK.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 05:53:08 pm »
+2
Leecher heaven. Give bonus per tick and people will idle. Give bonus per kill and people will trade kills all day. No Upkeep? Don't even need to trade kills, just put on black armor and rarely lose. No admins want to sit on a duel server for long periods of time babysitting. The reward from duel servers is the experience in fighting you get, not everything has to hold our hands and give us a pat on the head.

You want xp fight in the servers in which battles occur. You want to train, fight on a duel server. System is fine as is.

Also, this thread comes up every other week and always ends exactly the same way.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:54:11 pm by Ylca »

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 06:29:29 pm »
+3
Leecher heaven. Give bonus per tick and people will idle. Give bonus per kill and people will trade kills all day. No Upkeep? Don't even need to trade kills, just put on black armor and rarely lose. No admins want to sit on a duel server for long periods of time babysitting. The reward from duel servers is the experience in fighting you get, not everything has to hold our hands and give us a pat on the head.

You want xp fight in the servers in which battles occur. You want to train, fight on a duel server. System is fine as is.

Also, this thread comes up every other week and always ends exactly the same way.

The duel server used to give xp and gold per kill, it wasn't abused because it wasn't worth it, battle servers gave way more xp. As long as that's the case, what's the problem with xp on the duel server?

And you're right, this thread does come up often and does end the same way: Most people vote yes or +1, then the thread dies out through lack of responses. I for one would quite like a dev response to this issue, at least then whenever these threads pop up we could just quote the dev and be done with it.

I've also gotten xp on the duel server before, so I can't really rule out the possibility that maybe there is some reward system in place that we just don't know about.

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 06:43:37 pm »
Give exp for those dueling, but not enough that it would be worth it to just stand there trading kills. No gold though, since there's no upkeep.

For anyone who actually wants exp, siege and battle would be much better options, but for those who just prefer duel, they can still gain some exp, even if it's not a lot.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 09:40:30 pm »
Leecher heaven. Give bonus per tick and people will idle. Give bonus per kill and people will trade kills all day. No Upkeep? Don't even need to trade kills, just put on black armor and rarely lose.
Thats why the bonus per tick should only be given to players that are active, and that system has already been used. No idea how they did it,  but when I didnt touch my mouse or keyboard I didn't get xp, I specifically tested that. Also, you put on your black armor and go duel, armor doesn't make you win duels at all.

So no xp per kill, just a x1 tick every minute as long as your active, I just can't see the flaw in that.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 09:56:08 pm »
Thats why the bonus per tick should only be given to players that are active, and that system has already been used. No idea how they did it,  but when I didnt touch my mouse or keyboard I didn't get xp, I specifically tested that. Also, you put on your black armor and go duel, armor doesn't make you win duels at all.

So no xp per kill, just a x1 tick every minute as long as your active, I just can't see the flaw in that.

The flaw is that there are any of a dozen programs that will move your mouse at set intervals. Not that big a deal at x1 but if the thought process is that people need to be actively participating to earn xp duel servers are going to be an amazing way to circumvent that system.  As to armor doesn't win duels, sure it doesn't, but having a 15 hit soak advantage over everyone else surely helps unless everyone else is also wearing black armor, which with no upkeep would probably eventually be the case.

Offline Panoply

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:32:28 pm »
W-what...? Just give a small amount of exp when you win a duel, just not enough that trading kills would be more profitable than battle or siege.

What are you guys talking about armor for? There's already no upkeep in duel servers and few people run around in plate. Just don't give gold for duels.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 10:44:01 pm »
few people run around in plate.

I'm not sure what duel servers you're playing on.

Offline Panoply

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 11:14:44 pm »
I play on the NA ATS duel server, and I play there a lot. Before my two week hiatus, from which I've just returned, I had the most deaths in duel according to Ecko's stats, which is a dubious honour to be sure, but I think it makes me qualified enough to say that most duelists use medium armor.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 12:25:31 am »
The xp and gold rewards we had during a short period worked very well. If you get constant x1 as long as you accept at least one duel and finish it (either winning or loosing) per tick, it's fine for me. That way it can't really be abused.

Constant x1 is less profitable than battle servers with very poor personal performance anyway.

Furthermore, at least in my case, winning xp (and maybe gold) on the duel server would actually make me play it. I like duels, it's probably my favorite game mode, but I don't play it often because it's pointless regarding my char progress, and I value it as much as my own player progress or my direct fun of playing. Battle mode has those three reasons why I play it, duel lacks one.

Rewards like constant x1 would make me play duel much more often even if the xp is way slower than battle.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 12:37:27 am »
If you wanna get better, you should play on the Native duel servers.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.