Poll

Is weight of shields OK?

Yes, a Kite shield need to have the same weight as a great maul. :-P
23 (51.1%)
No. Shields weight should be lighter.
22 (48.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Weight of shields.  (Read 2466 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Weight of shields.
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 03:52:57 am »
I think the mobility reduction with shields hinders them a lot (moreso than the lack of range/damage, I believe). It's easier to take on two players at once if one is a shielder since the shielder can't chase as well.

I rarely see consistently successful shielders with any of the heavier shields. Turtle up and people can just surround you or outspam you easily. Most of the time when I see top level shielders die, it's because they were going for a swing and barely missed, getting killed by the backpedaling/circling opponent. They're all more offensive/dangerous with the lighter shields for a reason.

I pretty much have to use an awlpike as a secondary weapon to make up for all of my build's faults, so I can be more useful in a 2v1 situation and against cavalry. Heavier shields protects against some things, like crushthrough and block stun, but I'd much rather have a light, yet durable shield.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 08:19:10 pm »
+3
I'm a shielder and I'm happy with the way things are.  That said, I'd be even more happy if shields were, on average, about .5-1 point lighter.

Offline Cumulonimbus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Spettro, Berlic
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 07:51:08 pm »
Once again, a better scoreboard with stuff like horse kills, assists and such would go a long way to changing peoples cooperation, teamwork and priorities imo.

Agreed.

Offline Daergar

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daergar_the_Tank
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 11:24:24 pm »
+1
Just a few cents;

Crushthrough does not stun long enough to land a second overhead if you play your shielder right. Plenty of time to sidestep and slash the mauler.

Plenty of variants to the shielder, same as any class. 15/21 plays way different than 21/15; dashing with short pierce/blunt + light shield VS juggernaut with sword + huscarl. The former relies on getting behind the enemy by movement, the latter fits teamwork better due to the frequent 1-2 hit kills.

As for shielders being defensive, not even the mightiest 2her can consistenly face two to four enemies and emerge victorious without a single hp lost. Try it, it's fun.  :)

And yes, if possible, the scoreboard would be sexier with a points column instead of a kdr, based on damage dealt/absorbed, horse kills and so on. Though I reckon if it was indeed feasible, it'd been done by now.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 11:28:58 pm »
As for shielders being defensive, not even the mightiest 2her can consistenly face two to four enemies and emerge victorious without a single hp lost. Try it, it's fun.  :)

BkS_Tyrian, that crazy bastard... I say he gets away with it about 80% of the time.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 02:51:56 am »
BkS_Tyrian, that crazy bastard... I say he gets away with it about 80% of the time.
He's better in battle than rhade for sure. I bet they'll love that comment.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 03:02:22 am »
He's better in battle than rhade for sure. I bet they'll love that comment.

He honestly is, much better battlefield awareness.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.