Poll

Should ladder building be a bannable offense?

Yes
34 (33%)
No
69 (67%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Voting closed: January 25, 2011, 08:32:40 pm

Author Topic: Regarding Ladders  (Read 6642 times)

Offline Xol!

• Earl
  • Renown: 428
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Xol_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Xol
Regarding Ladders
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:32:10 pm »
On the North American servers, people are building ladders into the sky.  Big towers, little towers, forts, all sorts of things.  I am one of those people.  I don't do it all the time, I play regularly for the most part, and might take a couple maps to build ladder contraptions, especially right after retiring.  I try my best not to delay a round, and will happily jump off and suicide if I'm the last player left.

Unfortunately, there's quite a few people that feel very strongly that building ladder towers is detrimental to their experience.  They feel that because we level 8 peasants would better serve the team as sword fodder, meekly holding pikes in hopes of poking something for a half point of damage.  These players were very vocal, but until today, mostly kept their discourse civil.

Today, however, I've been TK'd several times, had several kick/ban polls initiated against me, and the same was done to several of my friends who were participating in ladder construction.  It should be noted that none of the polls passed, and quite a few people on the server commented on how they enjoyed watching us build and jump off.  I've had people spend entire rounds doing nothing but attacking me or destroying my ladders, which contradicts their very reasoning.  Why, if one believes that I am wasting time and team slots, would it be better to waste the whole round TKing and initiating poll bans?

Quite simply, it's not.  Ladder building is not against the rules.  Team killing and team damaging is, and poll spamming is very frowned upon.  Three of the worst offenders were poll kicked or poll banned by other players on the server when they grew tired of the poll spam and TKs.  I personally initiated no polls, though I was sorely tempted to.  When I visited another server later, I was informed by a player (who had been poll banned) that we had poll banned an admin.  After a couple minutes of back and forth, during which I mentioned I was looking for someone, he said, "Well, go look for him elsewhere." and kicked me from the server.  I'm not terribly upset by this, but I am a bit disturbed that this kind of behavior by administrative staff is tolerated.

My question is, what proportion of the playerbase feels that ladder building is detrimental to the game and should be a ban-worthy offense?
boop

Offline Tornkik

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Ladders
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:34:11 pm »
If It's so much that it interfere with gameplay, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 08:36:10 pm »
Make your ladders useful to the team.  You'll find people dislike you far less.

Offline Baddy

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:37:24 pm »
Personally I enjoy the wonderful archers/horse archers that draw rounds constantly. They really help my immersion, however ladders are a serious detraction. I will not stand for this magical wizardry of floating ladders in my pure waifu crpg.

Offline Rokem

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:37:31 pm »
Haters gonna hate. As long as you're not intentionally delaying the round, there's nothing wrong with it imo.

Offline AirPhforce

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:38:13 pm »
I would like to mention this post.

Can we make elaborate ladder towers there?

This is important.

To which the admin of the 100 man server, which we were on, replied with

less someone has a good argument why you can't i see no reason why not.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,776.msg9124.html#msg9124

I honestly fail to see how a ladder tower at spawn is worthy of TKing and pole spamming.

Offline Xol!

• Earl
  • Renown: 428
  • Infamy: 51
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Xol_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Xol
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 08:39:34 pm »
If It's so much that it interfere with gameplay, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Actually, I agree.  There are a few builders that delay rounds repeatedly, and give us all a bad name.  I'd be in favor of them getting some sort of reprimand.

Make your ladders useful to the team.  You'll find people dislike you far less.

Don't get me wrong, I throw down ladders for objectives quite often.  On my last retirement I used ladders to build towers in strategic locations for archers (including myself).  I also bring siege shields to most fights in my spare slots, though I've spec'd out of archery now.
boop

Offline AirPhforce

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 08:42:24 pm »
Take a look at this topic

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,729.0.html

THAT is banworthy? Really?

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 08:43:32 pm »
I think it's funny.
what is the diff between ladder building and leaching?  nothing.  they dont hurt anyone, get anyone else killed, and usually let the other team kill them in the end if they lose.  no biggie, and the ladders are funny to watch.

Whats NOT funny is when archers or xbowman climb up there and duechebaggery results.
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 08:44:29 pm »
That thread is worthy of a ban for crimes against the English language. 

Edit: jspook, leeching is bannable.  Hence why I recommend using your ladders usefully.

Offline Baddy

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 08:49:25 pm »
Is fungineering truely leeching compared to just peasanting it up and dying real fast? If anything, it's a sound strategic tactic to draw attention away from your army (archers).

Offline Baldr

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Baldr?
    • View Profile
    • BALDR
  • Faction: Baldr
  • Game nicks: Baldr & Balder
  • IRC nick: Baldr damnit!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 08:50:56 pm »
Honestly, if you want to leech xp and gold you should be kicked or banned, becouse that is what your doing, Your not playing the game, your leaching xp and gold. You could be fighting, if you are "high" lvl players or veterans you have blocking skills. Contribute to your team. Or go to duel server if you just want to fool around.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 08:51:15 pm »
when we enyway talk about ladders, fix the new ladder system!

Offline AirPhforce

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 08:53:54 pm »
Honestly, if you want to leech xp and gold you should be kicked or banned, becouse that is what your doing, Your not playing the game, your leaching xp and gold. You could be fighting, if you are "high" lvl players or veterans you have blocking skills. Contribute to your team. Or go to duel server if you just want to fool around.

Did you miss the part where we retired and are less then level 10?

What do you want us to do? Go throw rocks? Suicide? Would dying as peasants be playing "right" to you?

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 08:56:26 pm »
The obvious answer to the poll is no. But if the building  that you make looks really bad, then maybe its kick worthy. Make something cool though and you should get extra xp and gold.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project