Author Topic: Sure is nice  (Read 9142 times)

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
Re: Sure is nice
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2011, 07:03:05 pm »
Would you people stop teasing me by moving your servers to Dallas extremely briefly before shutting them down or moving them back to Chicago?  It's really starting to piss me off. 

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2011, 07:10:08 pm »
Coming from a member of the community who's goal is to completely shit on games and their communities.   :rolleyes:

You all think it's me trolling when I say that the community was 1000x better, nicer and friendlier before all the goons showed up but it's just the truth.  The community here was WAY fucking better before ya'll invaded.

gorath you're an awful fucking poster, ctrlaltdel is worse than you but not by much, jesus christ shut the fuck up

all of your posts are some HURR GOONS BAD but in half of them you brag about how you're an original goon or something, what is wrong with you

goons might troll but at least we post about the game, all you post about is how bad everyone but yourself is.
FREE ALLERS

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2011, 07:20:39 pm »
Well, goodbye easymode 30s ping. I'll have to play with Chicago ping now, but hopefully it's like TFO server where I got 50s ping instead of the ATS 70s-100s.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2011, 07:24:22 pm »
This move back to chicago sucks.
I was really looking forward to those ofiicials coming back on line, seeing as the Dallas server gave me a sub 30 ping from San Diego.
Oh well.  The week that they were up was actually a really fun experience with the low latency.
Back to 80 ping in Chicago, I guess.

You guys do realize that people pretty much abandoned the chicago servers to play on the Official NA ones when they were in Dallas.... right?  just saying....
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2011, 07:31:08 pm »
Average human reaction time, 215ms.

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/stats.php

However, by no means does that mean humans cannot tell the difference between 0 and 215 ping, or even smaller intervals like 100 or 50. Sometimes the difference can make all the difference. I don't know how fast attacks come at you, or how big of a window you have to block or chamber, but say you have 300 ms to react to an attack, and you have a 200 ms reaction time. A ping of over 100 or under 100 can make all the difference in whether or not you block in time in this case.

Just because you might not be able to consciously "perceive" the difference in ping, it doesn't mean that there is no difference. If you had to slam the brakes on a car, a difference of 50 and 100 "ping" might not be consciously noticeable, but at 55 mph, it means 4 extra feet traveled before stopping, which can make all the difference.

I'm good with the change though. :D

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2011, 07:42:22 pm »
Average human reaction time, 215ms.

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/stats.php

However, by no means does that mean humans cannot tell the difference between 0 and 215 ping, or even smaller intervals like 100 or 50. Sometimes the difference can make all the difference. I don't know how fast attacks come at you, or how big of a window you have to block or chamber, but say you have 300 ms to react to an attack, and you have a 200 ms reaction time. A ping of over 100 or under 100 can make all the difference in whether or not you block in time in this case.

Just because you might not be able to consciously "perceive" the difference in ping, it doesn't mean that there is no difference. If you had to slam the brakes on a car, a difference of 50 and 100 "ping" might not be consciously noticeable, but at 55 mph, it means 4 extra feet traveled before stopping, which can make all the difference.

I'm good with the change though. :D

"Average human" =/= "Average Gamer."

I bet if you did the exact same study among 15-35 year old gamers, the reaction time would be a lot lower.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2011, 07:46:33 pm »
0-50 ping is easymode, 50s-60s is good, low 70s is ok, 80 and above sucks - attacks go right through your blocks, impossible to see your feints.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2011, 07:47:35 pm »

I bet if you did the exact same study among 15-35 year old gamers, the reaction time would be a lot lower.

Yup, my university clocked my physical reaction speed peaking at 140-ish (somewhere between 140 and 150 I forgot) milliseconds. I was 21 at the time. This did not count adrenaline.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2011, 08:03:19 pm »

Yup, I would agree. I just gave that figure because I don't know what it would be for the average gamer. It was more to get an sample number to demonstrate my point.

It's also important to note that the test they use is just a "Press button when light turns green" test and so the reaction times for that are probably faster than "Upblock the overhead". I say probably, because with the amount of hours many players have put into this game, that might not be true at all.

Conceivably, one could backward engineer their reaction time in Warband if we knew the typical time windows for blocks, chambers, etc for a given match-up of weapons, wpf, and ath. To use Miley as an example, I'm assuming her reaction time categories correspond to decreasing windows for blocks, such that at 60ms ping she might only miss fast, high wpf, speed bonus attacks on the correct side, and then at some threshold, say 150ms ping, she has trouble blocking even straight up standing attacks from average speed and wpf attacks. If the former condition has a time window of roughly 225ms and the latter has a time window of roughly 300 ms, then we could postulate that her reaction time to Warband is on the order of 150-165 ms.

Offline AzureSkys

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • per aspera ad astra
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Azure, Nihilanth
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2011, 09:17:47 pm »
80 and above sucks - attacks go right through your blocks, impossible to see your feints.

That makes me feel better since I sometimes see 70ish ping on the Official servers but 110+ on the ATS ones. I think it's just my rural 1.5mbs down/40kbs up DSL though. Any other Pacific NW folks doing better?

Regarding reaction time, sure it may be an average number higher than ping ms we're talking about. So then folks on low ping connections are reacting in that amount of time relative to each other. However higher ping folks are sort of shifted over and delayed since their initial reaction time comes after the initial reaction time of the low ping fellows.  Sadly it's the hindrance for fast-reaction games on the internet leading to poor global competition.

Offline Gumdrawp

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: dolphin fan club
  • Game nicks: Gumdrawp_dfc
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2011, 09:19:24 pm »

I remember there being a study done at the first CPL i attended by a college student measuring the average reaction time of professional gamers in contrast to the average human reaction time. It had something to do with environmental influences on humans. Most of the people attending to play fps games reactions were between 70-120 ms; iirc the fastest average was ~60 after 25 consecutive tests and that was method. Granted pretty much everyone taking the test had above average reaction times compared to the average gamer, I would say that its safe to assume the average gamer is somewhere between 130-180 ms.

EDIT: On topic, stop whining about the servers going down, from what I understand from this thread its got nothing to do with Zealot personally. It seems like the fuckup was solely caused by some tech dude at the hosting center. And for those of you complaining about the relocation, while texas may be better for some its not for others. All in all chicago is a more central location especially if you include canadian players and not just the US, these are North American servers not US servers.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:22:16 am by Gumdrawp »

Offline Classical

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:12 pm »
Change of plans, I'm moving them to China because it's cheaper.

The servers did not shut down because of the move, in any way shape or form. They shut down due to a semi-fatal OS error, which was fixed by reformatting the entire box. The downtime of the servers due to a switch, would most likely be about an hour, or less considering all you have to do is bring down the old one, and start up the new ones and you're done.

They are not down because of the planned Chicago move, the servers will remain at Dallas for another two weeks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:48:43 pm by Classical »

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:55 pm »

Thank god
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:19 pm »

I support this 100%.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2011, 10:11:51 pm »
The argument that Chicago is a more central, therefore better location for the server, seems counter to the fact that the Dallas server was the only one populated by any real amount of people at any given time the past week I've been around, especially if you consider the fact that there were Chicago servers up concurrently. As far as open and shut cases go, this one seems pretty easy. So there must be some other reason for the move, monetary or otherwise, but hey at least we get another two weeks out of it (or whatever is left of it after it's back up).

Oh, and numbers and maths are fine and dandy, but I know what my experience is with the difference of 30 ping, and it matters. Laugh at me crying.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:12:55 pm by Dooz »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login