Author Topic: Upkeep Solution - Hear me out  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Deracination

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Upkeep Solution - Hear me out
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 05:57:37 pm »
I can't see anything wrong with it.  One thing: I'm not sure if it'd be a problem coding-wise, but if you could increase the difficulty of the bots depending on the average/total gear cost of the players, then it might encourage people to not wear full plate all the time.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 07:44:28 pm »
I like this idea. I see nothing wrong with it. You get barely any gold/xp in it so it wouldn't give any one an excessive amount unless they had the time to grind on it all day. But then you may as well of just gone and played battle in peasant gear and got double the xp/gold even with upkeep.

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • I swear to drunk ossifer I'm not god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aleskander, Alesoy Varsov
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 03:22:48 am »
No. Keep upkeep for DTV. Just increase the reward so that you can get something out of it. I wear around 20k gear and I still loose money on an average round.

"Die in Turkish Penis"-Grabber, 14-6-12
Never forget

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 03:44:59 am »
This has been mentioned before. I would like to see it no upkeep yet also no gold either, but you still get xp (at a rate that makes it worth it). I can't think of any good reasons to play DTV right now. Notice how few people play it as well. If the bots need to made harder and or more numerous so be it but give the players some good reasons to play at least.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 03:47:21 am »
suggesting people play the LEAST popular (for good reason) game mode in order to subsidize other modes is not a solution by any means.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 02:22:27 pm »
I was pretty surprised to find that DTV had upkeep.

I play it now and then - not so much as i used to play defend the village but I like to have some fun vs bots now and then.

Like another poster mentioned - if someone wants to grind for gold they can do it on any official server just by going naked + wooden weapon.

IMO The way virgin is played right now you need your best gear to stand a chance vs the higher level waves (nords +)

If no upkeep at all is too much to ask then perhaps a lessening of upkeep costs etc (atm i find dtv is the biggest money sink of all modes)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:29:55 pm by RandomDude »

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 09:56:28 pm »
suggesting people play the LEAST popular (for good reason) game mode in order to subsidize other modes is not a solution by any means.
What is the reason in your mind for it being the least popular?

Never forget

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 09:57:16 pm »
Why do you say it's the least popular?

Because you fight bots not people, and the server pop is low, and you lose money, and it is the exact same stuff every time you play using the exact same tactics on the exact same map, and you get the satisfaction of beating a lump of program not another human being.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 10:46:42 pm »
+1
Because you fight bots not people, and the server pop is low, and you lose money, and it is the exact same stuff every time you play using the exact same tactics on the exact same map, and you get the satisfaction of beating a lump of program not another human being.
For a very short time after a patch upkeep was disabled temporarily and it was great. It was actually fun when people got to use all their best stuff and face the horde of bots.  Kinda like a 'party' mode where you get to enjoy all your stuff and let loose. I don't see any downside to no upkeep + no gold unless 'fun' is a downside, lol.  Just give people enough XP to make it worth playing and people will play it. Also I actually strangely PREFER fighting bots very often for 1 main reason: they don't bitch, whine and cry when they get killed. It's refreshing to not have whine filled chat on your screen about (insert whatever it is that killed them or tactic they don't 'approve' of).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:10:29 pm by Lichen »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 12:28:08 am »
I actually strangely PREFER fighting bots very often for 1 main reason: they don't bitch, whine and cry when they get killed. It's refreshing to not have whine filled chat on your screen about (insert whatever it is that killed them or tactic they don't 'approve' of).

Sounds like whining to me.  Turn off in-game text if you dont wanna see the whine, or better yet just dont read it.  Its pretty easy to do.  If you want to kill pathetic AI, go play any number of the crappy MMO's out there

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 02:16:29 am »
Sounds like whining to me.  Turn off in-game text if you dont wanna see the whine, or better yet just dont read it.  Its pretty easy to do.  If you want to kill pathetic AI, go play any number of the crappy MMO's out there
I enjoy playing against bots from time to time. I played it when it was upkeep free for that short time and people had lots of FUN. The mode has a lot of potential.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:17:40 am by Lichen »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 05:29:44 am »
I enjoy playing against bots from time to time. I played it when it was upkeep free for that short time and people had lots of FUN. The mode has a lot of potential.

and by 'potential' you mean the bots get stuck on map and you sit there racking in free money for doing nothing. victory against bots is meaningless.  bots should be removed completely or controlled by human commanders

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 06:18:43 am »
and by 'potential' you mean the bots get stuck on map and you sit there racking in free money for doing nothing. victory against bots is meaningless.  bots should be removed completely or controlled by human commanders
Like I said, no upkeep and no gold is fine with me.

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 04:24:22 am »
No, actually the bots had a clear path to us. We were doing it in a doorway about 5 people wide with teamhitting turned on. There were only about 4 or 5 archers out of 40-50 people.

Never forget

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 04:32:59 am »
I support OP's suggestion. Nothing to be lost, much to be gained by way of fun.

And yes, it really does seem like a "party mode" this way. You get to use your best gear and slaughter hordes of mindless AI with some human comrades. And, you wouldn't be financially crippled by it (ie: no hangover)!
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG