Author Topic: Performance issue.  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Hydro

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Performance issue.
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:43:52 pm »
Hello, I didn't really know in what category to post this but here goes..
I have a new laptop with i7 processor, 6gb ddr3 ram, and a gt425M 1gb graphic card. While its specs are better then my old desktop with duo core processor, ddr2 ram, 4850 512 graphic card, it lags really bad in mount and blade. I do have 60 fps according to the counter but even at settings low, it is a slideshow. On my desktop I get above 100% scores on very high while on my laptop I get 40%..
Anyone got a solution for this?? I don't have a lot of knowledge of computers so can't fix this myself. Gfx driver is updated.
Although I get 20 ping especially players seem to lag, the fps is good, but other players just go around with 1 fps, like a slideshow.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:15:00 am by Hydro »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Performance issue.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:00:33 am »
is hard drive light on constantly or for extended periods?

tried temporarily turning off anti-virus?

if you are using wireless, have you tried wired connection?

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:01:43 am »
You power saver settings may be restricting how much power it is using. How do other games preform on your laptop?

If you are only getting 40% showing in M&B it looks like some portion of your computers power is not working correctly. Mount and blade is looking at your computer's specs and compares them to your settings. If you are getting such a low rating something isn't working correctly. My guess is the video card.

You have Win7 with that has Optimus? Lots of laptops have 2 sets of video drivers that it can switch to depending on the load. I think you need win7 pro or whatever for it to do it automatically.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:04:43 am by Beans »

Offline Hydro

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:49:06 am »
is hard drive light on constantly or for extended periods?

tried temporarily turning off anti-virus?

if you are using wireless, have you tried wired connection?
`
Yes the hard drive light keeps flashing but isn't that normal? And that shouldn't show in the video option score right?
And I play with a wired connection, so that can't be it. I'll try playing without the anti-virus, but i tried playing single player, and i had the same issue.

You power saver settings may be restricting how much power it is using. How do other games preform on your laptop?

If you are only getting 40% showing in M&B it looks like some portion of your computers power is not working correctly. Mount and blade is looking at your computer's specs and compares them to your settings. If you are getting such a low rating something isn't working correctly. My guess is the video card.

You have Win7 with that has Optimus? Lots of laptops have 2 sets of video drivers that it can switch to depending on the load. I think you need win7 pro or whatever for it to do it automatically.
My laptop performs good with other games and I have my power options so that they allow max performance. I play shogun 2 on high settings without problems.
Maybe it is some software issue, I recently downloaded the newest driver from nvidia to try and fix it but it didn't help. Idk what optimus is, I don't have windows 7 pro. Should I install Optimus? I got some asus software which i think does almost the same as optimus, its called power4gear and you can select different profiles of energy saving or for instance max performance.

Thanks a lot for helping me out I'll look into your suggestions, any other/further possible solutions are more then welcome!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:33:53 pm by Hydro »

Offline Dioxete

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Den Bitre
  • Game nicks: Date
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 01:13:37 pm »
I Think optimus is that you have 2 graphic card, 1 Shitty integrated intel and 1 dedicated nvidia, and nvidia drivers choose what card to use when the program it's hard to run with the intel. Some programs are not used to this 2 graphics configuration. Even mount and blade says that you have 40% performance is because is detecting the integrated intel. Try this my friend.

In te first configuration put: pixel shaders on, fps max to 80. Dissallow the blood. Load textures on demand, and shadows in low. (the rest things desactivated). in the ingame settings, put everything on low/desactivated but Shader to high and textures of your char on 100%. In the bottom option demark the "world shadows" and "character shadows". This option will give you a good performance without lag spikes with your card. (don't put on the HDR mode, and this stuff).

It's really important disallow the blood and the corpses.

Let you some screens how i have this set (for an optimus pc). Hope this help ^^

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:26:49 pm by Dioxete »

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 03:02:39 pm »
Keep your computer in an open location.

Heat buildup gets pretty crazy. I had that with my laptop.

Also, check your fan, and blast it with an air canister.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kursad

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 03:06:00 pm »
I have a similar build, let me guess is it a Dell Inspiron? You can right click the shortcut and choose the Nvidia graphic card so the game doesn't use integrated graphics card. The problem sounds like over-heating though, you can monitor the temparutes with a program like HWMonitor.
"The boar can keep his tusks, and the bear his claws. There's nothing half so mortal as a grey goose feather."

Offline Hydro

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 03:14:18 pm »
I have a similar build, let me guess is it a Dell Inspiron? You can right click the shortcut and choose the Nvidia graphic card so the game doesn't use integrated graphics card. The problem sounds like over-heating though, you can monitor the temparutes with a program like HWMonitor.
It is an Asus N53J. And even when I start my computer after it being turned off overnight it still does the same.. And what do you mean by: "you can right click the shortcut and choose the nvidia graphic card"?
Is that the only way to make the game use the good graphic card?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:17:15 pm by Hydro »

Offline kursad

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 03:36:29 pm »
Gtg 425m has Nvidia Optimus, so your computers uses Intel Graphics for some applications and Nvidia for others to save power. You can change your default settings so it uses the Nvidia card for everything OR you can right click on any application and choose "use Nvidia" or something similar.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:37:50 pm by kursad »
"The boar can keep his tusks, and the bear his claws. There's nothing half so mortal as a grey goose feather."

Offline Hydro

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 03:36:33 pm »
I Think optimus is that you have 2 graphic card, 1 Shitty integrated intel and 1 dedicated nvidia, and nvidia drivers choose what card to use when the program it's hard to run with the intel. Some programs are not used to this 2 graphics configuration. Even mount and blade says that you have 40% performance is because is detecting the integrated intel. Try this my friend.

In te first configuration put: pixel shaders on, fps max to 80. Dissallow the blood. Load textures on demand, and shadows in low. (the rest things desactivated). in the ingame settings, put everything on low/desactivated but Shader to high and textures of your char on 100%. In the bottom option demark the "world shadows" and "character shadows". This option will give you a good performance without lag spikes with your card. (don't put on the HDR mode, and this stuff).

It's really important disallow the blood and the corpses.

Let you some screens how i have this set (for an optimus pc). Hope this help ^^

(click to show/hide)
I did this and it makes the game playable, but I'd rather just play with the good graphic card at good graphic settings if that is possible.

Offline Hydro

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:38:02 pm »
Gtg 425m has Nvidia Optimus, so your computers uses Intel Graphics for some applications and Nvidia to save power. You can change your default settings so it uses the Nvidia card for everything OR you can right click on any application and choose "use Nvidia" or something similar.
I believe I don't have Optimus on my laptop but i'm not sure, how can I see?

Offline kursad

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 03:43:57 pm »
Right click on any application, there should be something like Run With Graphics Card . If you have that option you have optimus. My operating system is in Turkish so I don't know what exactly it is in an English system.

Offline Hydro

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 03:46:33 pm »
I don't have that option.

Offline kursad

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 03:49:59 pm »
Oh ok then, can you open Nvidia Control Panel and click 3d settings? There should be separate General Settings and Program Settings tabs there.

Offline Dioxete

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Den Bitre
  • Game nicks: Date
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »
I did this and it makes the game playable, but I'd rather just play with the good graphic card at good graphic settings if that is possible.

You have to try different settings until you get a good performance with good graphics. Don't follow the % that warband says, because in your case it's not true. The problem with warband is that it's not well optimiced, and with great pcs, you will not be able to play with full settings. It's not matter of your pc.

On the other hand. When I charged the first time warband i plugged on an HDMI screen. (the desktop get charged by the nvidia with this method) then warband located my nvidia and the % get real. With this config and an nvidia 550m i got 140%. When warband located the intel i had 46% performance. So warband lies XDDDDDDDD

PD: god damn, my english is rly bad. Hope you understand most of the text xDDDD

Edit: You don't need to find the optimus options, it's obvious you are running the game on your nvidia, if not it will not run.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:54:09 pm by Dioxete »