Author Topic: FXAA antialiasing shader injection/ hook for DX9/10/11 based games (Update)  (Read 13684 times)

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
Re: FXAA shader injection/ hook for DX9 based games
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 01:01:06 am »
+1
It does, although sloppily. I don't know of any cRPG server that runs it.

Offline Delusianne

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wolves_Delusianne, Delu, Delusianne, Crux
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 09:36:04 am »
It does, although sloppily. I don't know of any cRPG server that runs it.

Yep. As mentioned maybe because of the not exactly easily controllable enviroment with all it's mods (might be prone to false positives).

Fourth beta has been released btw, so far only tested it on smaller cRPG maps and couldn't notice any jitters:
http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=8865493#post8865493

Offline Delusianne

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 02:23:20 pm »
Beta 5, now with even more awesome, namely,... wait for it,... DX10 support
so far confirmed to work in Bioshock 1 and Unigine Heaven 2.5 DX10. How cool is that!
He also fixed some DX9 stuff, so give it a try.

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=8866336#post8866336
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:28:45 pm by Delusianne »

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
Re: FXAA shader injection/ hook for DX9 based games (Update)
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 03:20:02 pm »
+1
Impressive. Good job!

Too bad i'm an fps whore that played doom and quake 2 too much, back in the day. So i'm used to pixels and jagged edges. I like em.
And i'm a complete 'framerate hypochondriac'. I want, nay, i need to know i have a stable 120+ fps.  :wink:

Offline Delusianne

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: FXAA shader injection/ hook for DX9 based games (Update)
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 03:25:09 pm »
Hehe I prefectly understand, back in the old days I was playing Quake 3 like crazy competitive, I specially tweaked it to look like shite to get more frames out of it, nowadays this borders on cheating in modern titles with scripts and shader stuff (not this tho) and I lost interest and now just play for fun and epic battles ;D

But you might want to take a look anyway, cause depending on your hardware in some cases it has almost zero performance impact and might just be in a 3-5 fps range.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:39:08 pm by Delusianne »

Offline Zorato

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
    • BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: ZORATO_BIRD
  • IRC nick: BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN
Re: FXAA shader injection/ hook for DX9/DX10 based games (Update)
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 05:59:26 pm »
+1
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks for the heads up, Delusianne!
BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN BIRD CLAN
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline spaceoden

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 09:51:18 pm »
+1
Just tried the dx9 version with warband and crpg. It rocks! It looks great and seems to have no impact on performance. No problems with steam either. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Delusianne

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 10:26:24 pm »
Heya glad u find it usefull. Personally, besides warband,... just in Bioshock 1 and ME2 alone for me it's really,.. just priceless awesome.

The last few days I mentioned this neat hook ingame, while we know the chat is a bloody minefield most of the time, it's especially bad when some kids run amok when no Admin is on, anyway,..

I got a few "dude I didn't see any difference, it's useless", well there is no way to say this nicely but in that case someone is either blind, did place the files in the wrong folder or pressed the wrong key for activation thus not actually activating anything (laptops often have less key and thus some fuctions are double assigned to one key with a different key to switch between both, so this could have been one potential issue on the user end). So if it ain't working please read this thread more carefully before giving it up, otherwise it's your loss really.

Ok so here are some updates:

Some more feedback on these bugs: http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=8866916#post8866916  [solved]

Quote from: wasteomind;24116656
Can confirm [apparently some remained and just now got fixed with beta 8] solves the darkening problem [of a few Unreal 3 Engine Games]. Thanks for your effort and please relay my thanks to the developer. I'll keep using it to see if any other issues arise. Thanks again.

info on how to get certain games to work with it at the bottom of this post.

Beta 6, 7 and 8 have been released, since 6 there even is experimental DX11 support:

Quote from: Gast;8869029
[some dude]
Minor changes in d3d9 mode, no changes in d3d10 (due to no bugreports with small demos and my lack of d3d11 hardware).
Additionally I gave Anarki_Hunter's suggestion some attention.
Beta 7 gives you the possibility to add a sharpening pass [you don't have to bother with this at all for now- delu] in DirectX 9 prior to fxaa execution.
The readme contains how.

Quote from: Gast;8869098
[some dude][beta8]
Sorry guys, I tried to consider all the different game engines I encountered so far and sometimes a new version creates and breaks compatibilities at the same time. [talking about the 1 pack for 3 renderpath hook approach for lots of games]

However, I think to have found a good solution for the "darkness" problem which also fixes Crysis 1 -dx9 (Thanks Ronny145). From how I expect GTA4's engine to work, it also may fix the lights.

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=8869098#post8869098

Don't expect much from the sharpening pass. I just took some random sharpen shader and did not tune any parameters. You can experiment with own sharpening shaders if you can work with hlsl. Let me know if there is a good one.

beta version 8 notes

beta version 8! directx 9, directx 10, directx 11, x86 binaries only! may be incompatible with any other form of antialiasing! can be combined with downsampling!

Install:
 If the game uses DirectX 9, put all files from the d3d9 directory into the directory containing the game executable.
 If the game uses DirectX 10/11, put all files from the d3d10 directory into the directory containing the game executable.

Uninstall: Remove the files.

Notes:
 Do not mix d3d9  and d3d10 the files.
 Install the latest DirectX runtime.
 A "log.log" file is created to log behaviour/ bugs.
 If the "log.log" file is not created then you use the wrong "*.dll" or you put it into the wrong directory.
 If the "log.log" is created but the game crashes or FXAA is disabled, look where the "log.log" is created. Usually the shader files go into that particular directory.
 Try to put the files into different directories before saying it doesn't work.
 In some games (e.g. Portal 1 or Halo 1) refuse to accept the alpha channel. A general workaround (lower quality) for those is to add the following line at the beginning of shader.fx :
   #define FXAA_GREEN_AS_LUMA 1
 There is a way to experiment with sharpening. I added an example. To activate additional sharpening filter change edit the line "//Replace this line with #include "Sharpen.h" to add a sharpening pass" in shader.fx.
   Note that right now sharpening is only an example that it can be done. I more-or-less copypasted a random sharpen filter to show how my mod can be modded.

Keys:
 Insert : Enable/Disable FXAA
 Del : Screenshot
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:26:53 pm by Delusianne »

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
Re: FXAA shader injection/ hook for DX9/10/11 based games (Update)
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 12:22:54 am »
I have a problem, when i use DX10 or DX11 my resolusion gets raped and is forced into a 1280x720, this happens with every game that dosnt run in DX9.I have a 5970 though so i dunno wats the problem.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Delusianne

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: FXAA shader injection/ hook for DX9/10/11 based games (Update)
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 02:16:40 pm »
I have a problem, when i use DX10 or DX11 my resolusion gets raped and is forced into a 1280x720, this happens with every game that dosnt run in DX9.I have a 5970 though so i dunno wats the problem.

Odd one indeed, not sure what's going on either, reported it and we'll see if someone else is having this. Try to make sure you don't use it combined with other (forced through the driver, or ingame enabled) Antialiasing (AA) methods and are not using anything else "forced" through the drivers control panel.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:16:34 pm by Delusianne »