Author Topic: The Risen vs Shogunate  (Read 8092 times)

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: The Risen vs Shogunate
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2011, 04:08:09 pm »
Ok. We will not spend our time to Strategus. We will just apply for the battles.
But WHO will create those battles then? If all of us will just relax in this beta testing?

You're right, if there is a wipe then you should stop playing cause you will lose all of it.

What about making battles for the game?
What i mean is playing for fun, make a war against somebody but you're not forced to spend hours, not forced to make drama, not forced to whine about "fail" game mechanics, not forced to insult your opponent (don't talk of you but in general).
Ofc, i understand that you could be upset, but if you lose because of external factors, well you have nothing to reproach yourself.
So yeah, you can play the game, create battle but in a relaxed state of mind.

For spawn rape, i'm sure chadz is working on something, but you should understand that without testing, he would never know that this system is a fail, meaning next system could be even worst until he finds something good and fair.
I agree some clans lose a lot of "work" but as i said, there will be a wipe, so ultimately, they would have lost everything anyway

About faction reputation, well i guess dices are rolled since a long time, there is a few big clans, all other will be vassals, some are respected, some not. When you have to prove something, you make it to prove it to yourself, not to others.

btw, Mercs didn't have to prove anything, i guess ppl attacked you because they hated you even before strat started again, they should have know that Mercs are hardcore players (like few clans in cRPG, i say Native clans have better chance), they should have know that it will be a fail...

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player
  • Please respect all admins and thier decisions.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Solo
  • Game nicks: Lordark
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 04:17:14 pm »
chadz is such a bad ass.. GO chadz!
Never forget the day Dragons came to Calradia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLxHJY0lQI&feature=related
My personal theme song, We will never surrender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1xqAjQ5e4

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA
  • Game nicks: CSA_Gen_Robert_E_Leet
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2011, 06:01:48 pm »
Rollbacks, pausing, reimbursement ... That's not just a click of a button, that's a lot of manual work. Several hours, often.

Right now all spare time goes into bug and security holes fixing, and I know many things I'd prefer to doing this. But it has to be done.

Just giving back stuff that was lost would not help, it would just delay. Everything.

Time (and eventually motivation) is a rare resource for the dev team and we have to ration it carefully. Just doing a rollback or reimbursement - or even just pausing strategus - could actually take an entire day of our spare time. So developing halts, totally.

Even if it does take a day to freeze strategus its still worth it. Hundreds of players are already upset over the current state of strategus and that number is only going to keep growing as more people are hacked and more effort is wasted because of broken mechanics. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, strategus is unplayable in this state. The only thing that keeping it up is going to accomplish is to increase the number of disgruntled members of the community.

I say freeze it, and then you can focus 100% of your time on what needs to be fixed instead of trying to keep this train on the rails and fix things at the same time.

Believe it or not, I understand that we need you for the existence of this mod, but that goes the other way too. Without a community to play, test, and give suggestions you'd just be a lonely dude on an empty map, playing by yourself. You need us too, and a lot of people are very unhappy about how this whole situation has been handled.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:02:55 pm by SPQR »
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 06:16:39 pm »
It's already freezed...

no more battles...

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2011, 06:25:02 pm »
+1
Without a community to play, test, and give suggestions you'd just be a lonely dude on an empty map, playing by yourself.

I'd be a guy with a hellofa lot of free time.

Offline Rubicon

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • perfect & modest
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rubicon, COCKY, Rubicav
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2011, 06:58:09 pm »
+1
maybe a suggestion subcat for strategus could seperate whiny posts and ppl who actually wants to help?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2011, 07:15:19 pm »
maybe a suggestion subcat for strategus could seperate whiny posts and ppl who actually wants to help?

Yes this please!
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Razzen

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Razzen
  • IRC nick: Razzen
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2011, 07:30:53 pm »
+1
Yes this please!

There would be too few posts :D

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA
  • Game nicks: CSA_Gen_Robert_E_Leet
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2011, 07:46:06 pm »
+1
You can play whack-a-mole with hackers from now till the end of time, they'll always find a new way in if they're determined enough. Especially considering crpg/strategus security is not exactly state-of-the-art. Meanwhile the game will be completely ruined.

But we can help deter future attempts by reversing the damage hackers do. What is the point in hacking, after all, if any damage you do will be reversed? As of now, the hacker(s) are achieving exactly what they set out to do, and so they will probably continue going about it. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing counter-hacking attempts as clans begin to feel like playing by the rules is a recipe for failure and that cheating is the only way to win.
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2011, 08:37:19 pm »
+2
Any clan that hacks I don't want to be apart of.  Winning through hacks in a buggy beta of a player-made mod for an indie game is not my idea of a good time.  I don't play to win, I play to have fun.

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 08:40:29 pm »
rollbacks don't stop people from hacking, hell its just another reason to continue hacking...

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011, 08:42:08 pm »
You can play whack-a-mole with hackers from now till the end of time, they'll always find a new way in if they're determined enough. Especially considering crpg/strategus security is not exactly state-of-the-art. Meanwhile the game will be completely ruined.

But we can help deter future attempts by reversing the damage hackers do. What is the point in hacking, after all, if any damage you do will be reversed? As of now, the hacker(s) are achieving exactly what they set out to do, and so they will probably continue going about it. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing counter-hacking attempts as clans begin to feel like playing by the rules is a recipe for failure and that cheating is the only way to win.

People DDOS the servers repeatedly, there was no point to that. No one gained anything, yet it still happened multiple times for days.

Rollbacks every time there is a hack could just slow down the eventual fixes. Hopefully with these numerous hacks they will have to make their security more serious.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2011, 08:52:19 pm »
Pretty much apparent that this version of strat is mostly a joke. There will be no rollbacks, battles have been won that would have decisively changed the entire playing field by poor mechanics or hacking alone. Basically at this point there's no reason to give any care to actually treating this like it's going to have any effects at all. Hell might as well just throw armies around there is no room for gloating as battles are no battles at all, and playing battle mode is more fun than any strat battle thus far has been.

The order of the day seems to be extreme patience until the next one comes out. This one is a wash. Can't claim your clan is the best, can't claim you "claimed" anything really, can't really get any sort of bragging rights, can't really play a full match. Best to just accept that this is the way it's going to be for a while and have fun on the battle/siege servers until later and occasionally take a few minutes out of your day to check to see if strat battles have been modified for a higher enjoyment factor.

I hate to be the guy to say it but the beta is showing, we're just incredibly used to battle/siege being relatively well polished and many have been looking forward to strat for a very long time. If these issues are fixed newstrat will be amazing, and we're all assuming that they will be fixed (even if seemingly on Valve time). Devs keep pretty much saying "shut the fuck up we'll do it when we do it" so perhaps we should start listening. Ironically the people with the least ability to affect the game (players) are the most vocal in our concern for it's direction and future, but honestly it is nowhere near in our hands.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:58:43 pm by Ylca »

Offline Tanreall

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2011, 08:56:51 pm »
What chadz doesn't realize is this  is   our   lives!

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2011, 09:04:37 pm »
Pretty much apparent that this version of strat is mostly a joke. There will be no rollbacks, battles have been won that would have decisively changed the entire playing field by poor mechanics or hacking alone. Basically at this point there's no reason to give any care to actually treating this like it's going to have any effects at all. Hell might as well just throw armies around there is no room for gloating as battles are no battles at all, and playing battle mode is more fun than any strat battle thus far has been.

The order of the day seems to be extreme patience until the next one comes out. This one is a wash. Can't claim your clan is the best, can't claim you "claimed" anything really, can't really get any sort of bragging rights, can't really play a full match. Best to just accept that this is the way it's going to be for a while and have fun on the battle/siege servers until later and occasionally take a few minutes out of your day to check to see if strat battles have been modified for a higher enjoyment factor.

I hate to be the guy to say it but the beta is showing, we're just incredibly used to battle/siege being relatively well polished and many have been looking forward to strat for a very long time. If these issues are fixed newstrat will be amazing, and we're all assuming that they will be fixed (even if seemingly on Valve time). Devs keep pretty much saying "shut the fuck up we'll do it when we do it" so perhaps we should start listening. Ironically the people with the least ability to affect the game (players) are the most vocal in our concern for it's direction and future, but honestly it is nowhere near in our hands.

I suppose you've never played a single strategus battle besides the 1 sec spawn cap or ai village 1 minute cap?

And I suppose you haven't worked 2-3 weeks to get a big army ready and armed and lose it within a second because of a hacker?