Author Topic: The Two Handed Swordsman R.I.P.  (Read 5727 times)

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
The Two Handed Swordsman R.I.P.
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:11:55 pm »
+1
There seem to be fewer and fewer people playing with two handers, apart from katanas. There are polearm users, but hardly anyone with a two handed sword. There's no-one left to fight: the majority of players are turtling up behind Huscarl shields (see the Balance Philosophy thread) which results in a stalemate or a guessing game - now the Great Maul has been nerfed into uselessness there's no way to counter the shield unless you're a Str build with very high PS, so you throw away your sword for an axe or switch to a polearm. The usual two hander build feels like it's no longer viable: pre-patch I could sometimes top the kills table and still did well enough at first after the patch but now the ground has shifted and I generally get more deaths than kills these days (don't bother saying "Learn to manual block LOL" that isn't the issue) and get the impression I'm a battlefield dinosaur.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
Re: The Two Handed Swordsman R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 01:13:44 pm »
Strength build barmace. There's your two-hander!

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:41:08 pm »
2h is viable, only abit harder with all the projectiles flying around. Which means more turtlers, who can be a pain. But it's definitive not R.I.P yet.

Offline Jaakko the Sire!

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:49:37 pm »
+1
I carry two two-handers, a great axe to break shields, and a long sword or another two-handed sword when I face a skilled blocker.

Offline Guts

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 01:59:50 pm »
i do fine with just running around with a danish sword (or for the old players sword of cookies ) i have no problem fighting a sheilder usaully i can get around to their back or feint my way in also the kickslash is tons of fun and i do run around as a ninja just for fun lol with a nodachi and katana but the game has changed so ur tactics as a 2h have to as well no more spamming sheilds but i will say its alot harder post patch but i do like how it weeds out those weak 2h who relay on spam and little to no skill

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 02:51:08 pm »
i do fine with just running around with a danish sword (or for the old players sword of cookies ) i have no problem fighting a sheilder usaully i can get around to their back or feint my way in also the kickslash is tons of fun and i do run around as a ninja just for fun lol with a nodachi and katana but the game has changed so ur tactics as a 2h have to as well no more spamming sheilds but i will say its alot harder post patch but i do like how it weeds out those weak 2h who relay on spam and little to no skill

The problem is throwers, not other melee.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 03:09:49 pm »
There seem to be fewer and fewer people playing with two handers, apart from katanas. There are polearm users, but hardly anyone with a two handed sword. There's no-one left to fight: the majority of players are turtling up behind Huscarl shields (see the Balance Philosophy thread) which results in a stalemate or a guessing game - now the Great Maul has been nerfed into uselessness there's no way to counter the shield unless you're a Str build with very high PS, so you throw away your sword for an axe or switch to a polearm. The usual two hander build feels like it's no longer viable: pre-patch I could sometimes top the kills table and still did well enough at first after the patch but now the ground has shifted and I generally get more deaths than kills these days (don't bother saying "Learn to manual block LOL" that isn't the issue) and get the impression I'm a battlefield dinosaur.

(click to show/hide)
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:30:36 pm »
but i will say its alot harder post patch but i do like how it weeds out those weak 2h who relay on spam and little to no skill

Was it even easier before patch? I started 2handing postpatch and I still find it much easier than 2h polearming. Maybe its because i play siege mostly but I dont have that much trouble with throwers. And ninjaing with a katana is just too much fun.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 03:38:41 pm »
2h works well with heavy equipment and a str build or with light equipment and an agi build. I also carry a shield and have some shield skill, going pure 2h is a suicide with that many projectiles.

Offline Deathwind

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anarcho-syndicalism
  • Game nicks: Deathwind, Morsventus, Zelos
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 03:42:14 pm »
I've seen plenty of two handers, and they usually carry a shield for getting close to an archer. Every melee infantry should have a shield, really. (Which is why I liked the fact that shields did not have any skill requirement in Native SP and anyone could equip one.)

Either, I suck at shielding (which is totally plausible), but I don't like the idea of "turtling up" unless I'm being mobbed by 6 foes at once.

Offline Ache

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 03:44:32 pm »
Im playing with Longsword and i top the scoreboards most of the time,it all about skill,learn to block and feint and u will slaughter everyone with a 2 handed sword.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 04:58:07 pm »
The replies confirm my opinion really - as I've seen on the battlefield, people have either gone for all Str and crushing people with big, heavy axes and/or Bar Maces or gone for all Agi and speed with the lighter swords. I found my typical pre-patch 18/18 build, mainly two hand but with a sideline in throwing javelins has done worse and worse. I think I'm going to have to start Andamaglas from scratch and work my way up again, which is a bit of a pain in the neck...
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 05:07:16 pm »
there's no way to counter the shield unless you're a Str build with very high PS (...) The usual two hander build feels like it's no longer viable
That's where you're wrong. I have quite balanced build - 18 str 21 agi - and after patch with my lovely s of tears I have better scores than previously. In spite of removing lolstabbing and nerfing s of tears.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:08:30 pm by Falka »

Offline Nogar

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nogar, Aethril, Devorath
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 05:15:54 pm »
yea i dont know why would two hand be dead... i kill alot with my 2hand character :D

Offline danrex

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 05:20:23 pm »
Man, I carry a pole without shield and I dont really feel owned by arrows and things like that...