Author Topic: My take on why the siege became so popular after the xp boost  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
My take on why the siege became so popular after the xp boost
« on: January 04, 2011, 01:16:45 am »
Disclaimer: This post may contain biased views!

Back in march 2010, when i started this game (on the 22nd server) i was completely drawn in by the magic. The big fields with two opposing armies facing off in fight of biblical proportions. Most people were decked in misc gear and there were almost zero knights, horses were rare, few snipers (1-2), some range and a massive amount of melee players. There were debates about the best skill-route, armors, players etc.

Then drama ensued and cRPG changed,

Now instead of the 222 slot server the 22nd clan provided, we had a small 60 slot server ( got upgraded fast tho). Maps changed from open fields to more infantry friendly. Gold & experience gain was slow, and there was a soft-cap to level. Some started to power-level and in a few days/weeks more knights emerged. Medium armor became the norm. The game was still awesome fun, and there was a much larger quantity of melee players as opposed to ranged & cavalry. People were still unsure about the class-routes as there was quite a bit of math behind it all.

Then some shitkid decided to ddos cRPG, which resulted in a database-wipe.

chadz improved much in cRPG, but the players had gone from casuals to power-gamers. Ill admit i was once counted among them, playing for hours upon hours, caught in the mindless hunt for the next level and new armor.

Now everyone was looking to maximize their exp & gold gain. After a few days some people had heavy armor (which had earlier been reserved for a few dedicated gamers, among them BNCshrek, the first to reach black-armor). A week passed, and just like that, heavy armor was now the norm. But it did not stop there; horses, xbows and archers emerged in massive numbers.

Now a few months laters, there are hardly any people not following one of the cookie-cutter builds. Maps has changed to cater for increasing population of cavalry & range. It has been days, if not weeks since i last played a battle on a map that favored infantry. 

Q: What does the above text have to do with the current siege phenomena?

Nothing and everything. 

You see, in this gaming era everyone feels entitled to be the hero. No one will settle for the side-kick. In the start people were more relaxed towards this game, but as it became more and more popular, the min-maxing started. Now we have a influx of range & mounted players, in addition to the tin-cans. You can no longer play the game as you see fit, if you intend to make a name for yourself (there are of-course exceptions to every rule). Even skilled Mount & blade vets are using the most overpowered armors and weapons, even in duels. After some of the custom made weapon & armors made it into this mod, the old weapons have seen little to no use. Tears are a perfect example of this; It got range, speed and damage, why would anyone use anything else? AFAIK the ninja clan is the only clan still using some form of equipment code for their members. Im happy with my choice of being a ninja, but sometimes, when i lose to worse players because everyone else is using the most ridiculous weapons & armors,  i get frustrated.

Thrown into this mix of crazed power-gamers are the casuals and the people refusing to play the min-max game. After dying repeatably to projectiles and horse-bumps for months now, i think people have finally found a sanctuary, still somewhat untouched by the taint thats plaguing the rest of the game. Its so relaxing not to be forced to spin 360 degrees all the time, to look for incoming cavs in additional to dodging arrows. And even if you get shot to pieces, you only have to wait a maximum of 30 seconds before you are up and running again.

I have no clue what future lays ahead of cRPG..

Only chadz and a handful of people really have a clue on how the future cRPG will look like. I doubt the players mentality will change for the better, min-maxing is here to stay. However steps can be taken to ensure a fair and fun game for everyone.

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
Re: My take on why the siege became so popular after the xp boost
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:43:06 am »
I know it's overused, but still: the patch will make short work of most of the cavalry and tincans with the upkeep system.
However, I can certainly agree with you: I rarely ever play battle. My nord-themed character gets owned very-very fast. I took up throwing to be able to defend myself from cavalry. Then comes a plated horse, I dodge every single charge, hurl two stacks of heavy throwing axes at the beast, and it's still not slowing down.
Archers don't concern me much (Huscarl shield), but I can relate: big, open fields without any cover are not the best environment for infantry. Rejoice: the patch will nerf the ranged guys too. Slower bows, more WPF-dependent crossbows.
All in all, I think good times are coming.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:54:47 am »
+1
I agree with above post.
the ninja clan is the only clan still using some form of equipment code for their members.
And proud of it.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 02:03:07 am »
Tbh, battle maps are one of the worst "fun killers" for me - having to, for the 100th time, attack some village with a machinegunarcher on every roof... what's the point? Might as well play siege where I have respawns at least.

And siege is great for leveling peasants without going the tedium of playing battle as a peasant (where you have to stick near the melee, and everyone really likes to get +1 kill).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:04:23 am by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 02:07:42 am »
I actually notice more deaths by machinegunsassholesbastardsum, oh yeah, archers on siege servers than the battle servers tbh.  And the NA siege server is almost always empty though the few times I was in douchebag mode on my archer on the siege server I had a blast playing CS.   :twisted:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 02:09:31 am »
I actually notice more deaths by machinegunsassholesbastardsum, oh yeah, archers on siege servers than the battle servers tbh.  And the NA siege server is almost always empty though the few times I was in douchebag mode on my archer on the siege server I had a blast playing CS.   :twisted:

But you respawn, and if you're a attacker then you have infinite respawns - so it makes it less annoying.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 02:12:24 am »
Also, there's more cover in siege.

Offline TomMyyY

• Earl
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 17
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_TomMyyY
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 03:58:08 am »
AFAIK the ninja clan is the only clan still using some form of equipment code for their members.

Templars have an equipment code too, we don't use ninja equipment. (some guys still try but they get shouted at so much at ts that they don't really enjoy it)

Offline Ghimel

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 06:30:43 am »
In my opinion, the quickest way to lower the population of archers and left-click spammers is simple:

Raise the team-kill penalty

I swear, if I'm not getting arrows in the back, I'm getting sideswiped by a teammate tin can in a tear/bec frenzy.

Offline LLJK_DirtyCajun

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Death to Infidel City
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Broback_Mantan Brobike_Motorman
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 08:54:56 am »
LLJK has an equipment code: use what the fuck you want and kill some pubbie weeaboos

Offline Helrekkr

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_Helrekkr
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 08:56:21 am »
what's a weeaboo ? :P

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:00:34 am »
I had to smile when i read your post. Thats exactly what i am feeling every day.
Im only playing Battle if i really need lots of gold fast because you get it a bit easier there.

You can play funny builds on siege without lying in dust the whole time.
I always played battles with my first char never liked sieges but in the last weeks im playing it most of the time.

Tbh its so much easier to work on your manual block if you dont have to wait 2-3 minutes every time you die.

Pro Siege because of:
- more playtime
- more fights
- less cav :p and if there is cav its restricted to some areas where its useful.

Contra Siege:
- I cant see the maps anymore. Please add Siegemaps.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:14:33 am by Camaris »

Offline Nrzloork

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • King of Hessen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: slave_of_doom_HRE
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 09:11:49 am »
AFAIK the ninja clan is the only clan still using some form of equipment code for their members.

HRE also has a code, only stuff related to the holy roman empire times
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 10:24:46 am »
- I cant see the maps anymore. Please add Siegemaps.
Maybe upcoming patch add some maps. I hope so.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 10:29:45 am »
Eloquently written. It seems to me you prefer the relatively quick respawn of siege.

I prefer the long breaks and intense all or nothing action streaks that battle offers. For me, that's just more exiting. Siege feels too much like a grind.

I love dying early and getting a break. Sometimes, i don't die early and i end up having a bit of a kill streak. Sometimes, i'm the first one rushing in and get promptly put down for my foolish courage.

To each his own. The game is what it is. Make the most out of it.  :)