Author Topic: Armor, Weight, Movement Speed  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
Armor, Weight, Movement Speed
« on: January 17, 2011, 07:25:45 pm »
       It doesn't seem like weight affects movement speed. I don't understand why it would affect weapon skill (thus affecting one set of movements) but not run speed. This would help create some balance between lighter equipped fighters and tincans running around with 2handers, sometimes with great shields on their back. Seriously, even though knights could run in armor its still heavier and more taxing than running around in leathers or chain.

Yesterday when I was playing siege a guy in full plate with a 2handed mace ran across an entire section of rampart and cleared the entire defense of its archers before any of them even noticed my warning in team chat. I'm getting tired of the dogma that this is supposed to be a game of teamwork and tact, when asshats with 2handers don't have to play by those rules at all. Picking a particular weapon shouldn't be the reason they can do that. They're getting too much of the skill of the game taken care of by mechanics.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Armor, Weight, Movement Speed
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:15:49 pm »
You know, there are tincans with 8 athletics...

Weight DOES affect your movement speed. Clad yourself in full plate and carry a great maul and 3 siege ladders and you will notice.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:41:27 pm »
A tin can with 7 athletics was regularly running me down with light armor and 8a thletics, it was ridiculous.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:48:38 pm »
Did you have your backpack stuffed with ladders?

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:49:34 pm »
Speaking as someone who switches armours and characters often, I have to say that it does affect movement speed.

What I do believe allows for things like tin cans catching up to you even when you've got 8 athletics and light armour is terrain differences. They seem to be even more common these days, and it's weird as fuck. Just like all those stupid ass invisible walls, phasing ladders, and matrix-like float spots.

Offline Mak33

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 10:19:36 pm »
You know, there are tincans with 8 athletics...

Weight DOES affect your movement speed. Clad yourself in full plate and carry a great maul and 3 siege ladders and you will notice.

I think the main point here is that weight doesn't affect movement speed or weapon speed enough.  This is also my opinion that I have - That armor weight and weapon weight doesn't affect movement speed or weapon speed like it should to make the game more balanced, and less about leveling.

Maybe someone should do some outdoor tests on a football field?  Run a 40 yard dash in a track uniform (light jersey, shorts, and sprint shoes).  Time this run and scale it in-game to use as "Speed 100."  I have to believe that even football players can run a 40 yard dash quite a bit quicker in track uniforms than in full football uniform.  Now we're talking about light weight poly here... Next level up is leather, then chain, then plated.

To me, there just isn't enough difference in weight.   Don't get me wrong, someone who is overall more "fit" and can "lift" more weight than another person will be less fatigued by additional weight, but the scale in which cRPG is setup is very unrealistic, which is why the main "appeal" is more armor, rather than less weight.

I also think that weight should have more affect on weapons than it does running speed.  Running speed for the most part deals with velocity, and not acceleration, while weapon speed is much more depend on acceleration than velocity.  Weight should affect acceleration much more than it does velocity, thus weapon speed should see more affect due to weight increases, when compared to running speed.  I understand, by nature, that weapons will have certain speeds at which they are used.  That's due to acceleration as well (Force/Mass).  It should be the armor/overall weight that affects weapon speed more than the weapon itself (in most cases).

Offline BenMoonlight

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ben_Moonlight, Tumet, Benelos
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:25:08 pm »
i read in archer's guide that you haven't any penalty if your total armor's weight was less than 6. According to the following formule :

Head x3 + Hand x2 + Armor + Legs <6

I respected this with my archer, so, with 7 in athletics, i think i'm faster than anyone in my team on the battlefield (always the first). By the same way, i can easaly run away when ennemy is getting closer.

Anyway, archers couldn't aim correcly with plate armors, or even chain mails. Respecting this formule makes the game more realistic. You'll never see an archer in a big armor.

Moreover, when i carry my strong bow, and switch to my great axe, i think i'm slower. But between my bow or without weapon, i don't really feel a difference... but i'm not sur.

Offline Sofa_King

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TS
  • Game nicks: Sofa_King
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 05:12:12 am »
dude, just go naked, u will be the fastest running freak in ur team.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 05:32:40 am »
There's certainly a difference and it is quite noticeable if you play a speed-based character.  My lightly armoured 1h+shield changes from the fastest player on the battlefield to one of the flock when I don my metal armour set.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 06:51:40 pm »
Ok, HERE IS THE ANSWER TO YOUR ISSUE:

I'm fairly certain that weight is not on a graduated scale when it come to movement speed. From my experience, it works like this; You are either a.) Unencumbered, or b.) Encumbered.

Most people who play this game play encumbered, including many archers in "light" armor. The formula for encumbrance from native is as follows: You can carry up to 5 + (2 x [Weapon Master skill]) + ([Strength above 10]/2) kg without encumbrance.

If you use this formula, apply your skills/stats, and compare it to your equipment, you will likely find that you're playing encumbered. If you are, then you are probably being slowed down just as much as that tincan chasing you. So if you both have similar athletics, he will keep up.
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline sami1337

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 07:00:56 pm »
Ok, HERE IS THE ANSWER TO YOUR ISSUE:

I'm fairly certain that weight is not on a graduated scale when it come to movement speed. From my experience, it works like this; You are either a.) Unencumbered, or b.) Encumbered.

Most people who play this game play encumbered, including many archers in "light" armor. The formula for encumbrance from native is as follows: You can carry up to 5 + (2 x [Weapon Master skill]) + ([Strength above 10]/2) kg without encumbrance.

If you use this formula, apply your skills/stats, and compare it to your equipment, you will likely find that you're playing encumbered. If you are, then you are probably being slowed down just as much as that tincan chasing you. So if you both have similar athletics, he will keep up.

That seems quite accurate.

Also i think there's a couple levels of encumbrance. Probably 3 as far as i can tell. First level is what most people are used to. When you stop running you don't stop right away when you stop pressing the keys. Second level it takes longer and you run a bit slower. Last probaly has the same slowdown but your run speed is really poor.

I could be mistaken about the levels of encumbrance though.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 07:16:25 pm »
Also i think there's a couple levels of encumbrance.

That is possible. However, if that IS the case, it is much more noticeable to go from unencumbered to the first "level" of encumbrance than it is to proceed to further levels from the first.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 08:32:16 pm »
I'm not sure. According to your formula, my level for encumbrance should start at 5 + (2 * 6 + (15 - 10) / 2) = 34 kg, but I'm only carrying 25 kg and still feel pretty slow with agi 18 and athletics 6. Certainly slower than with lighter equipment.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 09:47:32 am »
I'm not sure. According to your formula, my level for encumbrance should start at 5 + (2 * 6 + (15 - 10) / 2) = 34 kg, but I'm only carrying 25 kg and still feel pretty slow with agi 18 and athletics 6. Certainly slower than with lighter equipment.

I think you should do your math again. With the numbers you input, the result is 19.5 allowable kg. Not 34 kg. Anything over 19.5 and you'll be encumbered. I still can't figure out how you came up with 34.

Anyhow, to make things more clear, your formula should look like this: 5 + (2 * 6) + ((15-10) / 2) = 19.5
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:52:00 am by Heroin »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 11:28:34 am »
Ah, I see it now, mixed up some of the brackets. Thanks.