Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 162736 times)

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #705 on: November 18, 2011, 01:27:28 pm »
About voices: just FYI Jarl of Stormcloaks - whatever his name was - is played by Vladimir Kulich. You know, the classic viking archetype from 13th Warrior, minus the plate armor in the movie.

Anyways... Elder Scroll games are dull and shallow when it comes to actual quest depthness and the possibility of the only substitute of actual roleplaying in a computer game - making moral choices. It might be that my guy didnt have enough speech for it buts its rather idiotic that the skill which allows you to actually roleplay some type of a character requires you to sell shitload of stuff to level it up enough for anything worthwhile.
95% of quests are pretty much D&D edition 1, go there, kill the bad guy, bring something back. Look at the main quests line. Bad guy threatening the world, the chosen hero cant defeat him without an artifact, learn artifacts location from a sage, go grab the artifact and kill the bad guy. And thats it. Classic heroic fantasy story stereotype, unfortunatelly.

Skyrim is really good looking, has epic (although really short and straightforward) storyline and semi-open world. Not much of actual RPG game in here to be honest, it's more an adventure game. Oh, right, about open world - what really pisses me off is that some of the NPCs are immortal. You cant kill most of the quest givers. You cant kill children either. I know it's a console game and PG12+ but seriously, it could've been handled better than just invulnerability.

I'd really like to see Planescape Torment remade with this engine. That would be something. Even Baldurs would do.

Summing up Skyrim, I liked Dragon Age more. More actual roleplaying, even if it was all scripted and linear.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:48:29 pm by Tot. »
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #706 on: November 18, 2011, 01:43:35 pm »
+1
Dragon age was so fucking stupid.How dare you even compare it to Skyrim!

And of course are the most quests about going in a dungeon and recovering something/Killing somebody and then returning.There isnt much else you could do.
Oh and about the immortality: How would you like it if Dragons ate the Guy you just made a Quest for?Oh and the next Guy you wanted to do a Quest for is eaten, too, Sorry Lad!Not to forget the Guy who gives you al the quests inside a guild.Dead.Take a break from that Quest line.

That would suck so unbelievably.All NPCs that arent important for Quests are killable.Even some that ARE.Happened to me countless times that I killed a Guy or a Girl going with me with a Fireball, accidentaly.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 18, 2011, 01:46:31 pm »
Oh and about the immortality: How would you like it if Dragons ate the Guy you just made a Quest for?Oh and the next Guy you wanted to do a Quest for is eaten, too, Sorry Lad!Not to forget the Guy who gives you al the quests inside a guild.Dead.Take a break from that Quest line.

That would suck so unbelievably.A

Do better to save the next ones then. You obviously never played Fallout*. Unfortunately Skyrim is exactly such kindergarden which doesnt allow you to get hurt in any way or to actually fuck up something for good.

*clarification: Fallout = Fallout 1 and 2, not these new ones which are Elder Scrolls in Fallout world.

PS. Perfect example why npcs immortality sucks. While going through mountains at night I encountered some sort of scouting party next to a bonfire, I ambushed them, shot all before they realized where I even was. Or at least they all were laying down with arrows in them. I had absolutely no desire to get involved in anything, just to kill them, grab the gear and move on. Unfortunately, gods of Skyrim in their wisdom saw fit not to grant me that little rogue wish and made one of these soldiers An Immortal Questgiver. Right now he's in front of me on his knees, recovering from dozens of arrows I put in him. I'm wondering if when he gets back on his feet he's going to attack me and kill me because I can't kill him or if he's going to ignore that I killed seven of his comrades and still will be eager to share His Important Quest with me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:07:42 pm by Tot. »
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline SepChu

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 18, 2011, 02:29:32 pm »

:rolleyes:

(click to show/hide)
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 18, 2011, 02:34:01 pm »
You cant kill most of the quest givers. You cant kill children either. I know it's a console game and PG12+ but seriously, it could've been handled better than just invulnerability.

It's actually rated 18+. Equivalent of M in America, AFAIK, which is basically 17+.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 18, 2011, 02:40:52 pm »
:rolleyes:

(click to show/hide)

513 damage wut? Is it because of level scaling?

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • Renown: 470
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
  • I solve practical problems
    • View Profile
    • I never drank a six pack of warm beer
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #711 on: November 18, 2011, 02:42:18 pm »
Fuck Nords, Fuck Empire, Fuck Thalmor

(click to show/hide)

Orcs ftw

"Orc armor Ugly and strong, like the people who forged it. "
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 18, 2011, 02:50:14 pm »
513 damage wut? Is it because of level scaling?
No, it's because weapons and armors get horribly broken if you (ab)use 100 alchemy and 100 smithing to make a "bonus to smithing" loop..

I'd recommend against it, takes all the fun out of combat when you 1 hit your enemies. To each his own, though.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #713 on: November 18, 2011, 02:51:58 pm »
I'd really like to see Planescape Torment remade with this engine. That would be something.

This 1000 times over.  Can't imagine a better game to get redone with better graphics.  Your hopelessly scarred body wandering around with a talking floating skull and succubi and angels.  I don't know why someone hasn't done this already or at least made a sequel.  That was a game with a storyline.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 18, 2011, 02:57:30 pm »
No, it's because weapons and armors get horribly broken if you (ab)use 100 alchemy and 100 smithing to make a "bonus to smithing" loop..

I'd recommend against it, takes all the fun out of combat when you 1 hit your enemies. To each his own, though.

Ah yeah, that sure takes the fun out of the game.

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 18, 2011, 03:07:20 pm »
Some of the armors look like Lineage II.
What a piece of crap.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #716 on: November 18, 2011, 03:19:45 pm »
Lol a miner just said he was interested in marrying me because I'm wearing an amulet of mara...I'm pretty sure my characters a guy to  :P

They kind of sound like McBain/Rainier Wolfcastle from the Simpsons:

Haha o I forgot about that guy. Very true  :P

Summing up Skyrim, I liked Dragon Age more. More actual roleplaying, even if it was all scripted and linear.

Why o why do people keep comparing linear RPGs to Skyrim? You can't do it. Just like Witcher 2 (compared in a different thread), Dragon Age was an awesome game, but it's not open world, follows a very linear story line, albeit with a few moral choices a long the way (which still pretty much bring about relatively the same ending). They are all amazing games. But Skyrim is a completely different style of RPG to those two. Whilst Dragon Age and Witcher 2 are very similar.

Edit: Just felt like ranting about something  :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:47:15 pm by Overdriven »

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 18, 2011, 06:20:48 pm »
CBA go to UESP or read books but to sum it up short.

(click to show/hide)

Yeah gogo ahead and spoil if you know why :P

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #718 on: November 18, 2011, 06:24:57 pm »
I think they hate Talos cause he was the one that founded the septim Bloodline fo the Dragonborn or something.

btw: Epic Ebony boots and gauntlets now, Gloves enchanted with +51 magicka :D

Its so awesome.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 18, 2011, 06:40:44 pm »
I think they hate Talos cause he was the one that founded the septim Bloodline fo the Dragonborn or something.

btw: Epic Ebony boots and gauntlets now, Gloves enchanted with +51 magicka :D

Its so awesome.

Fuckers, but Talos was from the beginning a Mortal that became a Divine one? Right?

Also, what was that thing about you all saying that Giants and Dragons being all powerful? I'm playing on Adept and when i face dragons i just put on Fire Resist 30 percent for 60 seconds and use my Dwarven Bow with Dwarven Arrows/Orcish and proceed to spam fire Draggy till it's dead which isn't that hard/long. (that's what she said).

And Giants, just run up a cliff spam shoot spam shoot and spam shoot. Jump down cliff, spam shoot, run, look back, shoot and repeat process.

Will there be stronger enemies than those?

Actually i dunno but i met an enemy i couldn't take down that easily and that raped me in 2 hits and was rather fast. And that was a Mamooth lol.

But besides Mamooth? Anything stronger than Draggys/Giants?