Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 162720 times)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #660 on: November 17, 2011, 06:32:22 pm »
+4
What is wrong with the imperials?

They tried to chop my head off. I don't forget things like those easily.

Offline Fraemi

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Redgrave
« Reply #661 on: November 17, 2011, 06:36:22 pm »
For all we know the prisoner in each of TES games could be completely innocent and even if he wasn't - a personal grudge shouldn't decide the fate of a continent (after a time).

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 17, 2011, 06:41:06 pm »
So he is not a pawn, just dumb. He wants to liberate Skyrim weakening the empire and then fight the Aldmeri dominion? Considering what the Aldmers did to the  Empire legions how does he hope to win with Skyrim alone?

Yes, it's totally dumb to actually want freedom. It's alright to let tyrants rule you and dictate what you can and can't do, even restricting religion, because hey, you wouldn't want those tyrants weakened, would you!

Hammerfell fought Aldmeri dominion to a standstill by themselves, forcing them to retreat from there. Also, nobody said he'd have to fight alone. Skyrim could fight against the elves with the Empire, not as a vassal, but as an equal ally.

It's a game naturally, and anything could happen. But it's far from "lol dumb writing, Ulfric is retarded for doing this"
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #663 on: November 17, 2011, 06:43:26 pm »
Not to mention Nords are the fiercest fighters in all Tamriel(Together with the Redguard).I wouldnt bet my life on the Aldmeri Dominion winning over them if Skyrim was united under one High king(Preferably me, the Dragonborn) building a Big Nord Army.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #664 on: November 17, 2011, 06:57:08 pm »
My first dragon kill (took this a while ago):
(click to show/hide)

And my most recent dragon kill on top of a mountain in a blizzard woo. Love the atmosphere of this game:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #665 on: November 17, 2011, 07:01:16 pm »
U also supporting the Imperial Reich!?

Proud to be a Imperial!

Kind of, one of my characters is helping them since that one soldier saved his life... However... my next character discovered that you can instead go with the Stormcloak and not the soldier for the tutorial... and remembered that The Empire tried to chop her head off...

I like both sides of the coin!
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #666 on: November 17, 2011, 07:03:31 pm »
a personal grudge shouldn't decide the fate of a continent (after a time).

well, they should have thought of that possibility before.

I'm the victim here.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #667 on: November 17, 2011, 07:04:59 pm »
Yea same as me, i went stormcloack with my warrior that i ditched and done companions, now im leagion with my khajiit and im gonna solve the main q/legion/brotehrhood with him. Then im creating a breton mage and comleting stromcloacks/mage guild. Any other faction i missed?
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #668 on: November 17, 2011, 07:06:41 pm »
Yea same as me, i went stormcloack with my warrior that i ditched and done companions, now im leagion with my khajiit and im gonna solve the main q/legion/brotehrhood with him. Then im creating a breton mage and comleting stromcloacks/mage guild. Any other faction i missed?
Heh, just do the all with one character ;)

And you missed thieves.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #669 on: November 17, 2011, 07:08:47 pm »
Yeh the biggest catalyst for the rebellion was the White-Gold peace aggrement or whatever its called, where the elves imposed a ban on the worship of Talos in the Empire. So they hate the elves's guts. Although it does benefit the elves overall, classic divide and conquer strategy. They more or less came to a draw in the Great War, they didn't conquer the Empire but they defeated it. The peace agreement had the seeds of civil war sown inside of it, typically slimy elven foreplanning. An Empire without Skyrim and Skyrim without the Empire are weaker opponents than if they were united, and can easily be played against each other (I can't help but read every book I find in the game :( ). Still, fuck the Empire, FREEDOM!

(click to show/hide)

Any other faction i missed?

Bards. I just became one.  :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:11:25 pm by Gnjus »
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Fraemi

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 17, 2011, 07:12:51 pm »
+2
The empire isn't an opressing entity and skyrim has been core part of the empire since it's foundation.
"Freedom" from Ulfric would mean mass discrimination against anyone who wasn't a nord and lived in skyrim, not to mention that Ulfric is hardly a bearer of freedom. Ulfric proposes "old ways" which mostly are "might makes right" and abolishement of the englightened attitude of the empire.

Nords might have good warriors, though it's impossible to evaluate how they would be capable of fighting in formations and large battles and not small skirmishes. Nords also happen to have very few proficent spellcasters and the more "rogue-ish" kind of fellows which would leave them very handicapped against the dominion.
I remember in morrowind even one of those nationalistic dunmers said that the "Imperials are weak when alone, but unbeatable when marching side by side" for example. Capabilities in 1v1 =/= capabilities in large battles, think maaaybe Romans vs Gauls loosely.
A skyrim where Talos was openly worshipped might as well just be the provocation the dominion needs to invade, it has nothing to do about skyrim being the only ones suffering from worship of Talos being banned.  The dominion is what imposes the limitations on Talos worship and not empire out of free will, the Altmer are upset that they believe a human is unworthy to become a deity and as such would use the same excuse to invade skyrim.

An alliance, even if formed, would be very uneasy and distrusting of one another. The fracturing would destroy any chance of opposition the dominion.  Not to mention skyrim wasn't a vassal of the empire, but an intergral part since the very first days of it.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #671 on: November 17, 2011, 07:16:46 pm »
Someone mention books in TES?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Books_by_Subject

Of course, this is a work in progress and is missing a few  :lol:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 17, 2011, 07:49:57 pm »
The empire isn't an opressing entity and skyrim has been core part of the empire since it's foundation.
"Freedom" from Ulfric would mean mass discrimination against anyone who wasn't a nord and lived in skyrim, not to mention that Ulfric is hardly a bearer of freedom. Ulfric proposes "old ways" which mostly are "might makes right" and abolishement of the englightened attitude of the empire.

Nords might have good warriors, though it's impossible to evaluate how they would be capable of fighting in formations and large battles and not small skirmishes. Nords also happen to have very few proficent spellcasters and the more "rogue-ish" kind of fellows which would leave them very handicapped against the dominion.
I remember in morrowind even one of those nationalistic dunmers said that the "Imperials are weak when alone, but unbeatable when marching side by side" for example. Capabilities in 1v1 =/= capabilities in large battles, think maaaybe Romans vs Gauls loosely.
A skyrim where Talos was openly worshipped might as well just be the provocation the dominion needs to invade, it has nothing to do about skyrim being the only ones suffering from worship of Talos being banned.  The dominion is what imposes the limitations on Talos worship and not empire out of free will, the Altmer are upset that they believe a human is unworthy to become a deity and as such would use the same excuse to invade skyrim.

An alliance, even if formed, would be very uneasy and distrusting of one another. The fracturing would destroy any chance of opposition the dominion.  Not to mention skyrim wasn't a vassal of the empire, but an intergral part since the very first days of it.

Of course the Empire is an oppressive entity. It allows Thalmor agents to roam around the land and imprison those they see fit, it outlawed worship of Talos..
Who's to say the Old Ways are wrong, anyway?

Nords had their own Empire once, and Skyrim had its own legions fighting in the Great War, so they do know how to fight together, especially if trained to do so.

That's all fine and dandy though, it could go either way. There's no correct answer to which side is 'better'. As to a possible war with the Aldmeri, that's the same. All depends on how Bethesda wants to write the story.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #673 on: November 17, 2011, 07:52:27 pm »
Someone mention books in TES?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Books_by_Subject

Of course, this is a work in progress and is missing a few  :lol:

None of the links work for me

I read most of the stuff there tho
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Fraemi

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 17, 2011, 08:00:30 pm »
The empire has no options but to allow the thalmor to enforce it, they lost a war and are having the treaty forced upon them.
It's more similar to having a gun put to your head while you must recite a foreign hymn. As I said - they would be just as likely to invade skyrim to disallow Talos worship if they wanted to and the empire would obviously be very hesitant to support those who so eagerly killed their citizens not too long ago.

Because "old ways" are narrowminded and limit creativity and natural potential of all mankind in tamriel, "old ways" vs a modern view of tamriel is obvious - take a parallel out of real world, the dwemer prove that technology is viable and obviously gave them much that the other races still envy to the 4th era.

While it's entirely the choice of bethesda on how to write the story - it doesn't mean that it's impossible to make a reasonable prediction using logic and history.