Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 163102 times)

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1095 on: December 03, 2011, 01:11:00 am »
Maybe you ought to do some google search on what Dwemers are before trying to make snide remarks such as "Dwemer = Elven = Legolas". (In the end, you've only made one out of yourself)

Dwarves = Dwemer = Deep Elves = Technologically Advanced Elves =/= sissy agile skinny elves shooting arrows.

They make automatons to do the martial tasks, and they have crossbows instead of bows mounted on those automatons.
Plus they've got manly beards.
(click to show/hide)

I've never had a liking for elves, but Dwemer, on the other hand, is awesome and mysterious.

I have to say that I dislike the Dwemer more than any other race due to their annoying machines. Can't say I've ever liked having a race that is "more technologically advanced" in any game I have ever played, especially considering these ones were wiped out and are still far surpassing anyone else in the present day. At the same time, their armour is pretty crap considering their technology and their machines really aren't anything special. I know you're supposed to be something particularly fantastic but I watched Vilkas take down one of the giant ones with his basic equipment.
On a side note, for a supposed race of the technologically advanced, they didn't have much common sense... Who puts a massive metal creature that can't bend down in a small room with only one small door and thinks "yeah, that'll keep my treasure safe." when you can just walk out of the room and shoot it's legs through the doorway..?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #1096 on: December 03, 2011, 01:12:25 am »
They can crouch irl
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 03, 2011, 04:32:46 am »
I have to say that I dislike the Dwemer more than any other race due to their annoying machines. Can't say I've ever liked having a race that is "more technologically advanced" in any game I have ever played, especially considering these ones were wiped out and are still far surpassing anyone else in the present day. At the same time, their armour is pretty crap considering their technology and their machines really aren't anything special. I know you're supposed to be something particularly fantastic but I watched Vilkas take down one of the giant ones with his basic equipment.
On a side note, for a supposed race of the technologically advanced, they didn't have much common sense... Who puts a massive metal creature that can't bend down in a small room with only one small door and thinks "yeah, that'll keep my treasure safe." when you can just walk out of the room and shoot it's legs through the doorway..?
I believe half the issues you have with Dwemer are more on the game development's page than the lore I focused (and am more interested) on.

If you ever read the books in Skyrim, it tells you that the Dwemer metal is smelted to last, not for the sole purpose of war. While the armors and weapons are only forged for practicality, since the Dwemer smiths don't take their work very seriously (an assumption made by Calcelmo in one of the three books he wrote) and they have their automatons do the fighting, the armors and weapons that Dwemer themselves wear were rather primative in comparison to all their other inventions.

Besides, I don't see the reason for your tone with Vilkas killing a Dwemer Centurion; a giant killing a dragon with ease is just as absurd as how Bethesda decided to balance the game.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 04:33:57 am by Kenji »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1673
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 03, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »
Companions or henchmen are silly in every game not just in Skyrim.

I mean seriously, that bard kiddo I've picked up in Riverwood would shit his pants in front of that cave and wouldn't stand a chance against Draughr...

And Dwemer are awesome, they give ES a little bit of steampunk flavour, which is always plus.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #1099 on: December 03, 2011, 05:55:20 pm »
I believe half the issues you have with Dwemer are more on the game development's page than the lore I focused (and am more interested) on.

If you ever read the books in Skyrim, it tells you that the Dwemer metal is smelted to last, not for the sole purpose of war. While the armors and weapons are only forged for practicality, since the Dwemer smiths don't take their work very seriously (an assumption made by Calcelmo in one of the three books he wrote) and they have their automatons do the fighting, the armors and weapons that Dwemer themselves wear were rather primative in comparison to all their other inventions.

Besides, I don't see the reason for your tone with Vilkas killing a Dwemer Centurion; a giant killing a dragon with ease is just as absurd as how Bethesda decided to balance the game.

My point exactly, the NPC's scream in fear at them and then proceed to desimate the things which are all things to do with the development, I have little interest in the lore, I should have stated that it was mainly the implementation of these things that I found ridiculous therefore leading me to dislike the Dwemer related areas/creations rather than the lore behind them. As much as your original post was about the Dwemer lore, the post was relevant in terms of the primary subject.
Sadly I have little interest in reading the lore as I find it rather dull so you'd always be able to beat me down in regards to that but once again looping back to the Giant and Dragon, the Dragons don't do nearly as much as damage as the Giants do so I am not really surprised, game mechanics wise, that that is possible.

I'm not sure I really want to go all technical/logical/lore-ical or anything about this because at the end of the day it's just a game and as much as I wander through places and think "wtf, what is the point in that" I will still kill it and steal everything from it's body without a second thought. As much as lore is nice for some people it just bogs games down for me if I am honest so you really won't get an intelligent "lore conversation" out of me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: December 03, 2011, 07:01:30 pm »
+1
I've been considering playing single player Warband again if I wanted terrible AI combat and shitty randomized loot. At least your party members actually have some back story and sometimes even just say "fuck you" and leave.

Edit: I will say it has been enjoyable meandering down roads with a new character and actually running into NPCs who are also traveling. I think on my first character I spent too much time "climbing" mountains or rather running and jumping at them at 45 degree angles.

What I don't understand is this game is clearly rated "M" but it feels like it was designed so the mentally handicapped and kids could play it. I understand streamlining to appeal to a wider audience but I also like wearing mismatched pauldrons.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:07:55 pm by SixThumbs »
And how!

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #1101 on: December 04, 2011, 01:41:26 am »
+1
I <3 Dwemer Armor in skyrim.

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: December 04, 2011, 02:04:08 am »
My point exactly, the NPC's scream in fear at them and then proceed to desimate the things which are all things to do with the development, I have little interest in the lore, I should have stated that it was mainly the implementation of these things that I found ridiculous therefore leading me to dislike the Dwemer related areas/creations rather than the lore behind them. As much as your original post was about the Dwemer lore, the post was relevant in terms of the primary subject.
Sadly I have little interest in reading the lore as I find it rather dull so you'd always be able to beat me down in regards to that but once again looping back to the Giant and Dragon, the Dragons don't do nearly as much as damage as the Giants do so I am not really surprised, game mechanics wise, that that is possible.

I'm not sure I really want to go all technical/logical/lore-ical or anything about this because at the end of the day it's just a game and as much as I wander through places and think "wtf, what is the point in that" I will still kill it and steal everything from it's body without a second thought. As much as lore is nice for some people it just bogs games down for me if I am honest so you really won't get an intelligent "lore conversation" out of me.
It's not you at fault, friend, it is me, for this is a M&B mod forum where action triumphs story. And yes, while the game itself supposedly features a degree of realism, Skyrim most certainly still have some aspects regarding the dungeon designs and balancing to improve.

But I tend to overlook those things and suck myself into the lore. To each his own, I suppose, apologies if I sounded harsh earlier.

Offline BranStark

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BranStark_Astralis
« Reply #1103 on: December 04, 2011, 04:58:33 am »

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #1104 on: December 04, 2011, 06:04:47 am »
+1
Anyone tried playing with a barehanded khajiit? Seems like it would be decent with some of those gloves that give bonuses to unarmed. Add in some summoning and healing and it seems like you'd have a good character.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #1105 on: December 04, 2011, 06:55:23 am »
+1
Anyone tried playing with a barehanded khajiit? Seems like it would be decent with some of those gloves that give bonuses to unarmed. Add in some summoning and healing and it seems like you'd have a good character.

Yeah, I made a khajit assassin. Turns out my claws do 25 damage apiece with the Gloves of the Pugilist, where as my swords only do 19.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #1106 on: December 04, 2011, 10:47:44 am »

Useless later on, got dual blade of woe, the unarmed atacks (even with the bonuses) dont do as much dmg
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #1107 on: December 04, 2011, 01:33:45 pm »
Yeah, I made a khajit assassin. Turns out my claws do 25 damage apiece with the Gloves of the Pugilist, where as my swords only do 19.

Well, I had such gloves once, and you can disenchant them.

Meaning with 100 in enchanting and a full tree with a Black soul gem or a grand one you could get Gloves with even more + barehanded damage.

Could be rather nice.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Whiligelm

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Game nicks: Whiligelm
« Reply #1108 on: December 04, 2011, 09:32:56 pm »
+1