Author Topic: Nerf Arbalest!  (Read 16975 times)

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
Re: Nerf Arbalest!
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2011, 07:06:14 pm »
I have a L28 xbowman with nonloomed arbalest+ steel bolts.. the accuracy is almost pinpoint and decent dmg, rarley onehitting anyone with non-peasant armor and with 1h/2h mace its pretty efficent in melee too... today I picked up a MW arbalest+ MW steel bolts on my piker.. made 7 shots, 7 hits 6 kills at short/medium range with 1 wpf.... this thing is a goddamn elephant killer.
Didnt expect looms to make such a difference..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2011, 07:42:18 pm »
You just don't one hit lvl 30 characters regularly at any range. Now, lower level characters is a whole other story. Hah. Just went 45/5 on siege where about half my kills were from archers, 1 hitting most of them. Got to keep the archer population down! Down I say!

I can easily get 1 hit by some pole-wielding-maniac, or 2-handed-spammer. Now, does that mean I go to the forum making a whine thread about it? I'll answer that, in case you missed the irony: No.
I have 50 hp, if someone looks at me funny in melee I die. That's the price I pay for using a Highly Situational Weapon. It is not OP, but just as cav, it is better on some maps and worse on some.
Monkeys!

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2011, 07:57:21 pm »
I can easily get 1 hit by some pole-wielding-maniac, or 2-handed-spammer. Now, does that mean I go to the forum making a whine thread about it? I'll answer that, in case you missed the irony: No.
I have 50 hp, if someone looks at me funny in melee I die. That's the price I pay for using a Highly Situational Weapon. It is not OP, but just as cav, it is better on some maps and worse on some.

Totally get what you're saying, but I hate, hate, HATE this argument.

Most often, ranged players are behind the melee guys on their team. Any pole or 2h spamming maniac has to get to you by going through your team. So, if they get through your whole team and then get to you, they still have to hit you a couple times. You can just stand there and shoot or maybe retreat a bit and keep shooting.

That said, I do believe that xbows should do a shit-ton of damage. However, I think any weapon 1 or 2-hitting ANYONE (who is not a peasant) at ANYTIME makes the game less fun overall. I believe the changes to armor were a step in the right direction, but I wish more could be done.

Different armors having different resistances to certain types of weapons would be super-awesome, but I doubt the current system could do that.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2011, 08:14:33 pm »
Yeah it's a lousy "argument", just wanted to explain that we too get 1 shoot, probably a lot more then we "1 shot". The biggest problem is, if you "nerf" damage more, we won't be able to kill at all (I'm exaggerating).

I believe "2-hitting" for medium armoured, and 3 shots and above for heavy, is the intention with the arbalest. If you lower the damage output, there will be no reason to take it over a bow. In all honesty, it is very rare for me as an xbower to get that second or third shot in. I shoot unaware non-strafing people over dodging aware people any day, we don't have the luxury of spraying bolts around.. =)
Monkeys!

Offline ZigZag

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2011, 08:25:25 pm »
It's very slow for a reason.. more damage.. if you nerf the damage.. then it defeats the purpose of an Arbalest. Then why use a nerfed Arbalest to 2-3 shot people when you can use a lighter x-bow that's faster and also bring down people with the same number of hits. Quit crying about Arbalests killing you and do what I do: ZigZag dance to dodge all incoming missiles.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2011, 08:32:38 pm »
I believe "2-hitting" for medium armoured, and 3 shots and above for heavy, is the intention with the arbalest. If you lower the damage output, there will be no reason to take it over a bow. In all honesty, it is very rare for me as an xbower to get that second or third shot in. I shoot unaware non-strafing people over dodging aware people any day, we don't have the luxury of spraying bolts around.. =)

I agree with this. The problem is that (with Paul's released damage info) it is VERY possible to 1-hit someone in medium armor with a bodyshot. That just ain't cool. MW Arbalests could use an adjustment.

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2011, 09:25:48 pm »
+1
I agree with this. The problem is that (with Paul's released damage info) it is VERY possible to 1-hit someone in medium armor with a bodyshot. That just ain't cool. MW Arbalests could use an adjustment.

Then the Arbalest is obsolete in favour of the Heavy Crossbow.
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2011, 09:29:41 pm »
Then the Arbalest is obsolete in favour of the Heavy Crossbow.

The heavy one can be adjusted too. Damage values were heavily nerfed for the other weapon heirlooms a LONG time ago. Why should xbows be immune?

Also, I'm not saying nerf the shit out of xbows. I'm saying MW xbows shouldn't 1-hit level 30 players in medium armor.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:31:11 pm by rustyspoon »

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2011, 09:30:43 pm »
Just remove the arbalest and give the MW arbalest users a MW heavy xbow+ 1 free loom point  :mrgreen:
Problem solved.

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2011, 09:33:08 pm »
Just remove the arbalest and give the MW arbalest users a MW heavy xbow+ 1 free loom point  :mrgreen:
Problem solved.

I don't want that!  :?
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2011, 09:54:26 pm »
Problem solved.

GTFO!

Your kind is not welcome!
Monkeys!

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2011, 10:00:47 pm »
GTFO!

Your kind is not welcome!

So its upto xbowmen to balance their class?
I see what you did there.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2011, 10:00:49 pm »
Ugh i hate crpg players logic.

Stand still and get one shot by a 2handed/polearm base non-loomed weapon that can swing incredibly quickly? Your fault.

Stand still and get possibly one shot by someone who took the time to loom both weapon and bolts 3 times? Their fault.

I just don't get it. I just don't get it. The only way that Arbalest is going to hit you at any appreciable range is if you're standing stock still, the closer you get the harder it is to adjust for zag and they only get one shot. What is wrong with you people? Do you just want to be completely invincible all the time? Balance threads constantly disappoint me because you all want the equivalent of the Konami code and are perfectly okay with killing enemies almost instantaneously, but completely mortified when they can return the favor. Wahhh his toy is as big and effective as mine, nerf it.

Keep this up and we'll be hitting each other with wiffle bats and nerf guns by patch .3223.

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2011, 10:01:35 pm »
Also, I'm not saying nerf the shit out of xbows. I'm saying MW xbows shouldn't 1-hit level 30 players in medium armor.

Why not?
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2011, 10:18:02 pm »
Why not?

Because it's dumb. It's also no fun. I don't 1-hit people with my masterwork german poleaxe. I sure as hell don't one-shot people with my 1-hander. Throwing weapons don't 1-hit either. They may be able to shoot faster, but they have to put themselves in much more danger to do so.

If you are all saying that 1-shots are rare anyway, what's so bad about getting rid of them completely? Especially if you still have guaranteed 2-shots on medium armor?

The fact is, it's a game and I don't think anyone should be 1-shotting anyone (unless it's a headshot). 1-shots make the game less fun.