Poll

Do you think light cavalrymen should be handicapped like this?

yes
42 (34.1%)
no
81 (65.9%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: [Complaint] Why make it so cavalry is not a viable option?  (Read 9847 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: [Complaint] Why make it so cavalry is not a viable option?
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2011, 11:57:47 pm »
+1
Light cav being sustainable would be nice, sure.  But heavy cav should stay dead except for the once in a blue moon "fuck it" scenarios.  And Kesh, you should know by now to ignore everything that terribad Finished/Michael says.  Possibly one of the worst players, trolls and posters to ever taint the mod.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Chaos

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Takeda
  • Game nicks: Chaos_Takeda, Spec_Ops_Chaos_Takeda
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2011, 12:05:20 am »
+1
Light cav being sustainable would be nice, sure.  But heavy cav should stay dead except for the once in a blue moon "fuck it" scenarios.  And Kesh, you should know by now to ignore everything that terribad Finished/Michael says.  Possibly one of the worst players, trolls and posters to ever taint the mod.

Agreed. Any horse with armor on it should not be sustainable on the average budget. Unarmored horses should be reduced in cost imo since theyre already so easy to counter anyway, and arent even viable on every map. I can go naked (or my equivalent, which is to say total armor cost = around 400 gold buying price) and use a heavy lance and plain kite shield with war spear on courser, and sure enough i still won't be able to keep that up if I'm not lucky enough to be on the winning team. not to mention that im basically screwed if I draw the attention of 2+ enemy archers.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2011, 08:59:26 am »
+1
Light cav IS sustainable, and doesn't need a reduction in price. Horses such as the rouncey or steppe can be used on every map you want (although, really, on city maps you're better off on foot anyway)  and are a major advantage to have.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2011, 09:20:03 am »
+1
Just ride a Palfrey, it´s very affordable.

And after you earned some money with it, you can switch to your high tier Horse.

I mean, I´d like to be able to use my Destrier every Round, but I can´t, even when I go naked, and this seems to be what chadz intended.Play as cheap-ass Soldier for a shitload of rounds and then play as Heavy Cavalry or whatever you like for a few.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2011, 10:49:24 am »
+1
I mean, I´d like to be able to use my Destrier every Round, but I can´t, even when I go naked, and this seems to be what chadz intended.Play as cheap-ass Soldier for a shitload of rounds and then play as Heavy Cavalry or whatever you like for a few.

This in my opinion sums up the problems with the current installment of the mod. chadz solved people grinding to high gear by.... forcing EVERYONE to grind just to be able to use mid-gear.

God forbid if you start a new character, save up your money for that one item you want more than anything else, spend every last penny, and have it break the first round you use it.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2011, 10:52:30 am »
Maybe it's from the occasional Merc trains, but I've found a kind of balance where I dont gain or lose gold much. Turban Helmet, Mamluke Armor, Mail boots and gloves, Sarranid Horse, Deadly Heavy Lance and Elite Cav shield. This is way over the supposed soft cap on equip cost but it works apparently.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Viceroy

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shihan, Valgard_the_Grim
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2011, 10:58:40 am »
+1
Huey, you have my vote.

You are definitely one of the most respectable cav players I've seen on the servers.
You know how to fight on foot, and you use strategy.

Offline TommyHu

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2011, 11:14:45 am »
+1
I'm just gonna throw my 2cents in, with only really reading the OP....after playing the new update and getting used to the repair costs, I'm not longer losing money. I still use my courser every round, but I just have to cut back on armor. Atleast when you have a low multiplier. When I'm below 4x I use my lighter armor, sarranid mail with no helm or gloves, and when 4x or 5x I use all my heavy shit. Ever since shuffling my armor around my money has been teetering back and forth around 50k. ATM it's currently up to 54k after playing like a map and a half at 5x   :D   

You just have to know what you're worth as cav....(rant incoming: its Cavalry, not Calvary. no reason to abbreviate it calv. the L isn't  pronounced before the V), Adjust what you're wearing until you can keep your money hoovering around a certain point.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:16:44 am by TommyHu »

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2011, 11:46:10 am »
+1
This in my opinion sums up the problems with the current installment of the mod. chadz solved people grinding to high gear by.... forcing EVERYONE to grind just to be able to use mid-gear.

God forbid if you start a new character, save up your money for that one item you want more than anything else, spend every last penny, and have it break the first round you use it.
I don't think you are really forced to do that. The good part of the system is that all players are on even ground, so you can do very good with mid-level-gear (which is affordable). On melee I have much fun with great sword, barbutte, mail mittens and studded leather over mail and earn good money with it. More than enough to use heavy armour here and there and buying new items.
More on Topic it would be really great if there would be other choices than allways palfrey. The prices of courser, sarranid horse and the like could be lowered a bit.

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2011, 12:36:34 pm »
+1
Whoever said there are few horses on the battlefield, this seems to be the case on NA servers only. And when I went there for a bit yesterday I realized why - your maps are Counterstrike maps, such as town alleys. Or, it's a map where you fight on boats. Or the map where you mostly climb the stairs/hills. Where would you use cavalry here anyway?

EU gives a much more accurate picture, and there are more and more horse archers on EU, and plenty of horses.

Stop for a moment there with emotions :)

With current upkeep one can afford a lot. And you're not forced to grind - you're forced to use different playstyles if you want to be heavy cav. This is the opposite of grind, which forces you to do same thing all the time. If you feel that anything else but using extremely expensive equipment is boring for you, then that would indeed be grind *for you*. But it's how game is intended to be played now, and it's a good improvement.

Everyone has a great opportunity now to explore different weapons in the game, to explore different armor. Many actually do that. Try it.
I often played as a peasant with a fork even a month ago before the new patch. You can earn a lot of gold that way and end up top3 in your team and have fun. If you don't like that, you can play infantry with decent weapon such as, say, Glaive, and in medium armor. I play that too. It's also fun, and also bring a lot of gold. So you end up with so much gold that you can afford pretty much anything.

Before, game encouraged grinding for plate and chargers, and rewarded it. It's all everyone did. Grinded. Played in a very linear way. Now, game rewards using different equipment (or staying at upkeep cap). There's much less grind, and much more fun.
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline TheFinn

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2011, 08:33:22 pm »
+1
Remember when I said terrible players topping the scoreboard because of their OP horses? Meet terrible player!

Finn
, I'd just like to let you know, the epic proportions of your awfulness is not bound by the atlantic ocean and tales of how terrible a player you really are well known even in America. That has GOT to tell you something  :lol:

Wtf ? I'm that bad ? Gee nice to know :D I mean my ground combat is horrible, but on horse I don't consider myself that bad :D Well, at least I'm now famous! :D

Wow, I knew this guy was a complete idiot, but i never realized before just how undeservedly arrogant he is too.  If you must know I have played cav quite a bit with my alt, and yes it is way too expensive.  Do you really expect people to think youa re a good player simply because you brag about how many people you kill.  All I have seen you ever do is maybe trample people a bit with an elephant but then die really quickly once dehorsed.  Huey is actually a great cavalry fighter and uses light cav to get his kills and his argument is extremely reasonable, just because you know how to trample doesnt make youa  cavalry expert Michael, Finn, whatever..

Light cavalry should be viable every round with light armour. I have yet to roll a cavalry character post-patch and test it, but if it's not, well, it should be.

As for Finn/Michael...EU has to put up with him but we've got Thulsa Doom. Speaking of which, I haven't really seen that douche around...

A case of mistaken identity ? Michael (Finished) and TheFinn are not the same player. (But I do agree with you that at least light cavalry should be economically viable.)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:35:20 pm by TheFinn »

Offline AgentQ

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2011, 08:37:19 pm »
+1
1. too many throwers can one shot light horse.
2. archers everywhere
3. horses are slower and weaker.

u better roll a thrower/archer

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2078
  • Infamy: 1972
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2011, 08:52:56 pm »
Light cav is perfectly fine as it is and most people riding horses do exceptionally good.

Archers are fine atm.

Xbow is fine also, maybe a bit gimp.

What isn't fine at all is throwing. It's everywhere, cavs are afraid of throwers more than they're afraid of pikemen. Everyone has a shield nowadays not because of archers/xbowmen but because of throwers.

Fix throwing and you've fixed the game and balance, at least that's mine opinion.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »
+1
People seem to think 10% of cavalry in each team is too much.

While 33% seems logical, we have roughly 3 troop types.

My 2cents is to lower light horse costs a bit, a very slight nerf (or nerf cavalry weapons) on them. And make heavy horses a little les expensive. Actually they are banned from the game. Yes you can afford a plated charger for x rounds with y gold, but whatever ?

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2011, 10:06:53 pm »
I think people forget that there is a reason cavalry players are so good. If they aren't good, they are dead and with nothing to show for it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login