Author Topic: Longest spear to be used with shield?  (Read 3757 times)

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
Longest spear to be used with shield?
« on: July 25, 2011, 03:20:14 pm »
Does anyone know what the longest spear is that can be used with a shield? I'm trying to create a hoplite build.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline hotcobbler

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus or a gun? How about both son?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Featherbottom
Re: Longest spear to be used with shield?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 03:51:22 pm »
I think it's either the red tassel spear or war spear. Actually, it could be the long awlpike too. Check the lengths of those two. Either way, the regular awlpike is probably your best bet for hoplite, as it's one of the fastest. You don't really need to worry about the length as much as the speed.
Damn right I drink beer sideways.

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:52:46 pm »
Thanks for the help it's greatly appreciated!

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:48:34 pm »
I think it's either the red tassel spear or war spear. Actually, it could be the long awlpike too. Check the lengths of those two. Either way, the regular awlpike is probably your best bet for hoplite, as it's one of the fastest. You don't really need to worry about the length as much as the speed.

Long awlpike can't be used with a shield.

For as far as I know, the longest polearm you can use with a shield is the bamboo spear (if that wasn't changed). Other than that, the lances look the most like hoplite weapons, but are very slow.

Your best bet would be the war spear, as the awlpike looks like shit for a greek hoplite look. If you just want to use a spear-like weapon with a shield, the war spear, red tassel spear and awlpike are probably your best bets.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 05:24:18 pm »
Long awlpike can't be used with a shield.

For as far as I know, the longest polearm you can use with a shield is the bamboo spear (if that wasn't changed). Other than that, the lances look the most like hoplite weapons, but are very slow.

Your best bet would be the war spear, as the awlpike looks like shit for a greek hoplite look. If you just want to use a spear-like weapon with a shield, the war spear, red tassel spear and awlpike are probably your best bets.
You can't sheath that thing, it's pretty useless.

Awlpike is the way to go as an anti-cav sidearm, but for a spearman build, you could go warspear for looks.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 05:27:51 pm »
Eh...

Bambo spear is the longest spear that can be used with a shield. Silly people.... I don't think it can be sheathed though...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 07:07:09 pm »
both the awlpike & bamboo spear are slow as hell though.  Red tassel is the fastest for the reach you get

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 07:39:15 pm »
both the awlpike & bamboo spear are slow as hell though.  Red tassel is the fastest for the reach you get

True, but the original poster asked for the longest.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 08:11:40 pm »
True, but the original poster asked for the longest.

and hes also implying which is best

just because its long doesnt mean its good, or even useful at all.  trying to use bamboo spear as support weapon with a shield is just about pointless unless you are playing against elderly ppl with terribad reaction time.  Using it in 1h mode prob puts its speed between 75-80..which is slow motion.

Trust me, I've played as hoplite and played with some of the better hoplites.  Use a redtassel or warspear to learn, then try getting into awlpike, battlefork, double sided lance.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 08:13:00 pm »
Oh I agree, for "best" I would go Tassel or War.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 08:15:49 pm »
another route to go, if you have high athletics is a shortened spear or spear in tandem with a very fast speed shield (knightly series, elite cav, etc)

since you are much shorter range, you need fast spear & shield to quickly cover mistakes you make.  Still works well when you are with another melee guy on your team that knows how to take advantage of your stunning pokes and doesnt run circles around the enemy you are both trying to kill

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 09:16:31 pm »
Take 6 PT instead of6 IF or whatever your build is, take throwing lance, use it in melee mode. Then throw it :D. Best hoplite build!

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 11:01:13 pm »
Take 6 PT instead of6 IF or whatever your build is, take throwing lance, use it in melee mode. Then throw it :D. Best hoplite build!

Throwing lance requires 7 PT.

"Best" hoplite spear is the warspear imo. Looks best and has nice stats.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:14 am »
+1
My ranking of use for hoplite weapons,
Awlpike = Best, because of dmg + just outraches lancing horsemen when used with a shield.
Bamboo spear = best for support  because of reach, when used with a shield has almost identical functional reach to that of the long spear.
Light lance = Well balanced hoplite weapon, not too slow, pretty long, good damage, amazing at support, LOOKS THE MOST FITTING TO THE HOPLITE STYLE.
War spear / red tassle = Shorter but good skirmishing spears, still alright at support, does not outreach lance cavalry.
double sided lance = Shorter than war spear but does really high damage, better for solo skirmishing
Shortened spear = Really fast, can be used effectively for solo skirmishing -- but not good for support due to lack of reach.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:47:00 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 03:31:52 am »
My ranking of use for hoplite weapons,
Awlpike = Best, because of dmg + just outraches lancing horsemen when used with a shield.
Bamboo spear = best for support  because of reach, when used with a shield has almost identical functional reach to that of the long spear.
Light lance = Well balanced hoplite weapon, not too slow, pretty long, good damage, amazing at support, LOOKS THE MOST FITTING TO THE HOPLITE STYLE.
War spear / red tassle = Shorter but good skirmishing spears, still alright at support, does not outreach lance cavalry.
Throwing lance/ double sided lance = Shorter than war spear but does really high damage, better for solo skirmishing and can be thrown if you use a throwing lance!
Shortened spear = Really fast, can be used effectively for solo skirmishing -- but not good for support due to lack of reach.

Actually the throwing lance melee stat are identical to the shortened spear. They were like the double sided lance pre or pre-pre patch.
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted: