Poll

Split NA and EU for more reasonable battle time?

Yea
No
Some other solution (spliting the continent etc.)

Author Topic: Waking up at 6 am  (Read 16899 times)

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
Re: Waking up at 6 am
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 08:00:10 pm »
+1
it's not about sleep deprivation but you just have an ego problem (lol coming from me), you don't want to get people to fight for you when you could and then you whine it's unfair ...

If I need others to fight my battles Im not needed anymore... so why should I play this game at all? For me Strategus is about fighting battles on the field and not about pushing soldiers around a map and let others fight only.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 08:04:05 pm »
lol like these ppl have never played a game with city sieges before:
Shadowbane, Pirates of the Buring Sea, Eve Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer

this isnt a new problem.  honestly if you arent tough enough quit crying or get out

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2011, 08:06:33 pm »
Ah yes... EVE... the game where if you die, you are dead permanently (though at least your killer will gain a sizeable bounty and a free pass to be killed without reprocussions) and also the game where you can log bakc in to find that someone blew up half of your ships, potentially you as well, and that the bank ship where you were storing your money is now gone/robbed/blown to smithereenies!

There is no comparison.  :mrgreen:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 08:10:01 pm »
honestly if you arent tough enough quit crying or get out

let's see how you enjoy playing when you have battles that don't allow you to get much sleep if you want to participate...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2011, 08:12:01 pm »
+1
It's just a game at the end of the day.  Some people decide that a video game is worth sacrificing their sleep, job and personal relationships for.  That is a personal choice you will have to make.  Some of us choose to try and find a nice balance.  A video game will never take precedence over my personal relationships or my job.  My sleep will sometimes be sacrificed for video games and other things I deem worth it.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Olwen

• Earl
  • Renown: 419
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • A shadow among others
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2011, 08:12:53 pm »
pushing soldiers around a map is one of the key features of strategus, without it it's just pointless, you can still lead and play in your attacks, did someone ever see a king fighting in all his battles ? defensive and offensive ones ? i'd be impressed

for Digglez, i played DAoC for many years  :lol: started in the open beta with War Legends (Mid-Broc) then El Ereb (Hib-Ys) french servers ftw :p though DAoC wasn't mixed EU/NA til mythic gave it up, now everyone is on american server but there isn't ping problems :p most epic pvp game ever ;)

@lizard just let others play ;)

i'm kinda defending not to split even if i wouldn't get any advantage from it, but it's just pointless imo

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 08:13:53 pm »
lol like these ppl have never played a game with city sieges before:
Shadowbane, Pirates of the Buring Sea, Eve Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer

this isnt a new problem.  honestly if you arent tough enough quit crying or get out

Actually Shadowbane and DaoC both had NA and EU servers... untill the playerbase shrinked, and they had to merge servers.

Eve Online realizes this msitake now.. and wish they took a diffrent approach. The leftover gams you emantioned... well the developers realized they would never reach high populated servers if they didnt combine NA with EU.

Since WoW alot of mmorpgs got drained of players. Most past games like Shadowsbane,DaoC,Ultima online.... etc had so many players... that there was actually several seperate servers. For french / german / spanish / english and American players.

But since chadz and Co isnt a big company , chadz can still decide.

Might as well get your facts straight first. or get out.. lol

Your comment is invalid... and only shows how much of a "Tough Internet Nerd" you are.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:19:22 pm by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2011, 08:21:13 pm »
pushing soldiers around a map is one of the key features of strategus, without it it's just pointless, you can still lead and play in your attacks, did someone ever see a king fighting in all his battles ? defensive and offensive ones ? i'd be impressed

for Digglez, i played DAoC for many years  :lol: started in the open beta with War Legends (Mid-Broc) then El Ereb (Hib-Ys) french servers ftw :p though DAoC wasn't mixed EU/NA til mythic gave it up, now everyone is on american server but there isn't ping problems :p most epic pvp game ever ;)

@lizard just let others play ;)

i'm kinda defending not to split even if i wouldn't get any advantage from it, but it's just pointless imo

Sure man. Would love to see that. Send out an army overnight, with none of your clan or allies singing up for it. And recruit only the randomers that singed up. lets see how your army is doing in the morning...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:22:43 pm by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2011, 08:21:41 pm »
Guess you missed the point of my posts, none of those games besides Pirates of the Burning Sea had battle time windows and they did just fine.  People would often ninja stuff in the middle of the night (PLAYERS FROM SAME CONTINENT) without resistance.

Splitting NA from EU does nothing if you dont have battle time windows.  There are people in both regions that dont work 9-5 jobs that can still attack shit in the middle of the night just like now.

Your arguments are pretty uninformed and short sighted.  Instead of whining your village got sacked at 4am in the morning, try putting together coherent thoughts for a solution besides...SPLIT SPLIT SPLIT.

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2011, 08:24:24 pm »
Guess you missed the point of my posts, none of those games besides Pirates of the Burning Sea had battle time windows and they did just fine.  People would often ninja stuff in the middle of the night (PLAYERS FROM SAME CONTINENT) without resistance.

Splitting NA from EU does nothing if you dont have battle time windows.  There are people in both regions that dont work 9-5 jobs that can still attack shit in the middle of the night just like now.

Your arguments are pretty uninformed and short sighted.  Instead of whining your village got sacked at 4am in the morning, try putting together coherent thoughts for a solution besides...SPLIT SPLIT SPLIT.

Let me reflect that back on you. Why would you be against a split ?

Your arguments are pretty uninformed and short sighted.

i expect a good read back from you :wink:
Love will tear us apart.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2011, 08:27:35 pm »
+2
I'm NA and I agree with a split...make two separate continents with an ocean in the middle, and make all the servers on 1 continent EU and the other NA.  Then if people want to cross the water, they can but nobody will force them to.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2011, 08:33:20 pm »
I'm NA and I agree with a split...make two separate continents with an ocean in the middle, and make all the servers on 1 continent EU and the other NA.  Then if people want to cross the water, they can but nobody will force them to.

Seems like a good idea, this way chadz doesnt have an added cost for a seperate server.

Cant recall wich game it was, but i remember playing a game that had a time window.. in wich certain castle's where vulnarable for attacks.

Might be an idea. For both sides to have an attack window at day times. and everything be locked down on night times. So if EU wants to attack NA, at least NA will be fighting at day times.. If you catch my drift

Dunno havent realy thought this over in detail.. but i guess 2 seperates continents and something wih an attack window, might do the trick.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:35:00 pm by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.

Offline Zanthos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: White Company
  • Game nicks: Zanthos_WCo
  • IRC nick: Zanthos
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2011, 08:43:57 pm »
+2
I could be entirely way off base here... but more food for thought. Some of the old seasoned Strat veterans can speak to the validity of this.

Facts...
NA players hate playing on EU servers due to lag.
NA players hate playing at battles scheduled around EU hours.
EU players hate playing on NA servers due to lag.
EU players hate playing at battles scheduled around NA hours.

This existed in old Strat, but at the time the NA community was smaller. Now, with the influx of NA players/clans and new servers, there is more activity occuring on the NA servers during NA preferred hours. In the past, NA players had little options or choices. Loooong ago, it was purely EU or GTFO. Now, there has been a very much appreciated interest in supporting the NA community from the development team. There is a growing community with more organized support behind the NA playerbase. EU still has the larger numbers... but the reality is that there is going to be much more activity from the NA front as opposed to the past.

So the question is... should both sides just suck it up and deal with the hours/lag and work through diplomacy with their counterparts across the pond to help maintain proper coverage in battles??? Or... split the servers.

My fear with a simple split is that there really is not enough people to warrant it (at least not on the NA side). The map would be dominated by a few and armies would be spread thin to try and cover the area. I would also fear that a large majority of battles would constantly be against the same opponents and would reduce overall diplomatic side of Strat. A split will definitely reduce the issue of playing in a lagged to hell server... and it may reduce the number of odd hour battles... but it will not eliminate them. I could be entirely wrong, but that's just what I envision.

Other solutions like attack windows or something else... maybe that's the way to go. Sorry, not great at offering solutions... just throwing out my useless .02

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2011, 08:46:24 pm »
This would certainly make trade even more interesting for us  :D
+1

Offline Olwen

• Earl
  • Renown: 419
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • A shadow among others
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2011, 08:52:13 pm »
Sure man. Would love to see that. Send out an army overnight, with none of your clan or allies singing up for it. And recruit only the randomers that singed up. lets see how your army is doing in the morning...

true, you're clever jambi, intelligent enough to say it's not cool not to be able to hire your clanmates which are EU for example if you attacked at NA time, man i don't understand why things are this way

/irony off

logic, don't try it if you failed at it