Author Topic: [Sug] Upkeep´s ONE Problem  (Read 1680 times)

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
[Sug] Upkeep´s ONE Problem
« on: January 16, 2011, 04:43:30 pm »
I know, I know, another Upkeep topic.

But this is not whining or raging about the upkeep system, it´s just a suggestion to make it more fair.

I think Upkeep itself is very fine and it benefits the game, but it has one Problem:

The extreme randomness.

There are People running around in Plate on a plated charger for rounds without paying much or anything at all, and there are people running around in a gambeson with a Long espada and a medium shield losing money.

This is due to the upkeep beeing for each individual Item.

If I run around naked with a Flamberge, shouldn´t I be able to afford it?Some can´t because with a 1x multiplier, when something like a flamberge breaks it becomes expensive.So sometimes just the expensive parts of your equip break and you start losing money despite having equip cost of maybe 10-20k.

My Suggestion is making upkeep based on the Whole Equipment cost, not the single items one.

So for example a Guy with:

Tribal Warrior outfit
Steppe Cap
Hide boots
Khergit arrows
Khergit bow
Shortened Spear

Would have the following cost:

10560 (Total Equip cost) / 6 (Number of Items)= 1760

Now 5% from 1760 = 88

So 1 broken Item would cost that guy 88 gold.
if 2 Items break, its 176 gold and so on.

That way, chadz intended way of keeping People in Medium armor and such would remain, but it would be more fair.The Number of Items that break would still be random(With the 4% breaking chance), but it wouldnt be gambling anymore to carry one expensive item and a cheap rest(Which would just be fair).

What do you Guys think?
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Sir_Ironlake

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: [Sug] Upkeep´s ONE Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:46:07 pm »
You do realize the current system does just that, if viewed over ~100 and more rounds?
And everyone here tends to play 100 and more rounds.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:50:57 pm »
No it doesnt.If you are unlucky you will still have to pay more, because a 4% break chance ist still random.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.

Offline Sir_Ironlake

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:59:52 pm »
Right, and if yr lucky youll pay nothing.

And guess how many times out of 1000 youll get lucky and how many times youll get unlucky?

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 05:07:17 pm »
Statistically you would be right, but since it´s still random it doesnt work that way.

If you play 10 times once, you might need to repair things 4 times, and the next 10 rounds only 3.And then there are also different multipliers which means you will earn different amounts of gold.

If it was just statistically, you would need to repair each item 4 times after 100 rounds, but since it depends on each round individually, that doesnt work.

edit: either it´s like that or Iam just too dumb to grasp it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:26:17 pm by B3RS3RK »

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 06:05:05 pm »
Law of large numbers. If you play for 2 hours that makes 120 breakage changes per item.
Do that 10 times a week and it makes 1200. At that point you should have a less than 5% chance to break your most expensive item 30% more often (or less) than the average player. Over several weeks you should not have more than 25 people who have to run around with 5k less equipment than normal players (assuming they are not always in the loosing team, that is).
Simply keep some cash around to cover for unlucky streaks, it will even itself out. Using 5 mid tier items is less luck dependant than naked + flamberge btw.

edit: In retrospect not knowing the exact formula the numbers may not be entirely correct.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:07:22 pm by EponiCo »

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 06:14:46 pm »
Why another whine thread: UPKEEP WAS GOOD IN .201

Now its a joke, anyone can wear whatever they want, all the time: If you cant, Im very sorry, but your a greedy idiot. My cav is unaffected, my archer is unnafected, my heavy inf is unafected, my thrower, my xbower, my ninja, my HA, ALL UNAFFECTED. If upkeep is making you loose money, its because your an idiot who doesnt understand black armour with flamberge, LoC and plated charger IS NOT AN OPTION. Stop trying to change the system, we need the 30% cost back, THAT will make people whine, when suddenly their crutches are removed. If you cannot stand without your armour and weapon, then you should not be playing a skillbased game. Im willing to go to a "Gold for kills/assists/flagcap" system, with no gain for leeching at all. Im also willing for it to be like native, in that you must do well to get better gear, not just grind. But then all skilless players will come on here and post chadz YOU RUINED THE GAME etc, like they did before. l2p.
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 06:36:35 pm »
Grey lol you didnt read the Thread at all didn´t you?You should really start to read before you post.Oh and thinking about what you post is also a valid option.If you have an unlucky streak you cant even wear 20k worth of equipment and Im not the only one saying that, seen it very often on the servers.

@Eponico: Thanks for the try to explain it to me, I think I understand now.

But then there is still the Problem of the completely win/not win situation.Plus the multiplied break chances with the multiplicator.All that is making it random again in the end.The system I suggested would at least assure that the costs remain steady so you dont have those really expensive and unlucky streaks which ruin your pocket.The thing is, once you have 10-15k gold, it´s not a Problem anymore, but before , with just 1k or 2k saved up or after buying an Item, it can really force you to drop almost all your items for a long period of rounds.

Well, it would only be a minor change to provide some more reliability in the gameplay mechanics so it´s not that important I guess.

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 09:03:47 pm »
Now its a joke, anyone can wear whatever they want, all the time: If you cant, I'm very sorry, but your a greedy idiot. My cav is unaffected, my archer is unaffected, my heavy inf is unaffected, my thrower, my xbower, my ninja, my HA, ALL UNAFFECTED. If upkeep is making you loose money, its because your an idiot who doesn't understand black armor with flamberge, LoC and plated charger IS NOT AN OPTION.
I'm not sure you read your own statement, but it totally contradicts itself.

Offline Paprik

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:25:50 pm »
Well what you suggested still sucks dick except less :D

I don't see why there has to be any percentage involved. It just supports people starting the upkeep threads. A simple solution would be to just not take the number of items into account -> total equip cost * 0.009 (simple constant which can be tweaked) and bam.. that's what you pay every round. period. No luck involved.

A constant between 0.009-0.01 would probably keep the current state - 25k gear is the maximum possible to not lose money with 1x multiplier or something like that.

Offline CharlesBronson

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 11:48:14 pm »
I don't understand how people can lose money wearing 20k equipment. You must be doing something wrong because an average player should be able to wear 30k gear and still be making money. Maybe you're just not very good at this game.
Ingredients for a Charles Bronson:
Heaven Hill® Bourbon Whiskey, Jim Beam® Bourbon Whiskey, Old Grandad® Bourbon Whiskey, Jim Beam® Rye Whiskey

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 07:51:37 pm »
Just unlucky, last time I wore my plate I managed to avoid upkeep for 3 rounds then it hit me, when i wear my 30k gear it eeps on breaking and breaking cant, say I am making a profit there.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2887
  • Infamy: 2796
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 08:59:38 pm »
I don't understand how people can lose money wearing 20k equipment. You must be doing something wrong because an average player should be able to wear 30k gear and still be making money. Maybe you're just not very good at this game.

20k is perfectly sustainable. 30k not anymore. If you win one, lose one, win one, lose one, you'll lose money. They changed upkeep in the last patch. Before it you could wear those 47500k worth of equipment and don't lose money in the long run having 50% of wins. Right now I don't think that's the case.