Author Topic: Other ways of dissuading people from using heavy armour  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Other ways of dissuading people from using heavy armour
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:10:35 pm »
Repair costs and WPF decrease are the cons of heavy armor currently. But as I see many people still use heavy armor, which is something not desirable for the community. Because no matter how much gold it costs and how much WPF it decreases a heavy armored Robocop with a human sized claymore becomes a very very big problem, the claymore moves fast enough, and most probably destroys it's wielder's foes with one strike. However this is not realistic at all, in such an armor it would not be that easy to swing weapons so easily. I have a few suggestions:
1- Decreasing power strike based on chest armor weight (except for lances on horseback):
Formula is, True Power Strike=[Power strike]-[Armor weight/11] (Integer)
So a black armor, which has 29 weight, will decrease 2 power strike
2-Decreasing attack speed based on chest armor weight (except for lances on horseback):
-%8 penalty for +11 weight, plus -%10 more penalty for 22+ weight
So a black armor, which has 29 weight, will decrease %18 attack speed
3-Bonus movement speed decrease based on foot armor weight:
-%5 penalty for 2+ weight, plus -%3 more penalty for 3+ weight

Thus the game will be pretty more balanced and there will be an alternate role as tankers who tend to wear heavy armor and give points to Ironflesh maybe. Which is pretty underused.

Of course this would attract people to rely on items which has 10.5, 21.5 weight and this is something would destroy the rich set of armors we see in game. For that a more detailed calculation would be better. I must confess I did not really work on it. What I wanted is to present the essence of the idea. I leave the hard work to you, you have more experience than me.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:30:32 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline djsnipy

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Other ways of dissuading people from using heavy armour
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 07:54:51 pm »
This is completely rediculous just because you dont like the way a person plays you want them to be at a disadvantage. Why cant we wear heavy armor? It IS part of history and isnt that what this game is based on? History.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 08:05:43 pm »
+1
I like the part-time tin can solution better than making those plater cripples.

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 05:57:34 am »
Its ok, but then the armor should give you some "Real life" advantages, isnt it?....like 90% of the swings just glancing.. and maybe 70% thrusts doing so?....plate armor is enough shitty to nerf it even more....
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 06:18:14 am »
+1
STOP IT WITH THE REAL LIFE ARGUMENTS, GET THE FUCK BACK TO LARP IF YOU WANT SUPER REALISM.

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 06:21:38 am »
STOP IT WITH THE REAL LIFE ARGUMENTS, GET THE FUCK BACK TO LARP IF YOU WANT SUPER REALISM.
First, grow a bit. Second im not talking about real life arguements, im talking about some logic. And naming "larp" as realism example just makes you look not so smart... sorry...Plate armor sucks in this game. Not a big trouble since i dont use it ...but then again, nerfing one thing to the point it makes no sense.. its just plain... retarded?. Enjoy your day.
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 07:47:45 am »
There is one idea I have that could make heavy armor a huge pain in the ass. When you buy armor, you get one set of it and the knowledge of how to smith it. So you would go to some smithing section on the site and make more sets of armor. It could be puzzles that somehow seem like you're putting together armor. Or just setting something that makes armor over a certain period of time. The higher the level of armor, the more difficult or time consuming it is to smith.

So now you have some number saying how many sets of that kind of armor you have. That number decreases every time some event happens (the event that triggers upkeep would work). If it goes down to 0, you can't wear that armor till you smith some more. If it takes 1 minute to smith a tunic but 30 minutes to smith black plate, you could see how you would only be able to wear heavy armor so often while cheap armor is more commonly available.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 03:29:51 pm »
back in real medieval times.
about 60-80% of an army were peasant getting chainmail and weapons.
only lords, commanders,or just rich soldiers were a able to afford the plates and horses and the good weapons.
so it basically makes no sense that in crpg 90 % of al players wear kuyak or higher
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 05:29:29 pm »

heavy armor isn't worth it alot of times ingame atm, we don't need anymore reasons, how about being a slug for one
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 09:06:17 pm »
I just went to fishing for 2 day right after I post this, I would like to answer earlier.

But I see, since a developer answered already there is nothing more to say about the idea. I said all I have, in the first post. Yet I must add why I've posted such a suggestion.
I think this is the reason why some people come up with a complain and say "2handers are overpowered" periodically. A heavy armored 2hander can kill all players who wear below heayv armor with one hit, while they take at least 2 hits to die. Everyone does a mistake as they are human beings, of course. And some classes need to wear light armor to be effective (including melee classes). Thusly, sometimes risk does not worth it's prize or prize does not worth it's risk. This makes an imbalance which hassles some people consequently. Besides it is not very realistic. Imagine a picture of a fight between a warrior in a uncomfortable plate versus a swordmaster wearing a tunic. Thirdly, this would differentiate the roles of a "tanker" and a "dpser". Or we can say "defending force" and "striking force". As a bonus matter of fact: heavy armor users have the adventage of using defensive power as an offensive power. Swings with insufficient speed bonus bounces on a heavy armor, which only tickles the heavy armor's wielder. So sometimes they can avoid strikes with their movement skill (both player skill and athletics skill here) and chop the enemy.

Edit: I must add that heavy armor does worth to wear. Since there are many inexperienced easy hunts and the reason just above.
And I am not against heavy armor personally. In fact I like heavy armor.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:22:26 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 09:20:21 pm »
I like the part where nerf tincans.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 07:04:11 am »
I just went to fishing for 2 day right after I post this, I would like to answer earlier.

But I see, since a developer answered already there is nothing more to say about the idea. I said all I have, in the first post. Yet I must add why I've posted such a suggestion.
I think this is the reason why some people come up with a complain and say "2handers are overpowered" periodically. A heavy armored 2hander can kill all players who wear below heayv armor with one hit, while they take at least 2 hits to die. Everyone does a mistake as they are human beings, of course. And some classes need to wear light armor to be effective (including melee classes). Thusly, sometimes risk does not worth it's prize or prize does not worth it's risk. This makes an imbalance which hassles some people consequently. Besides it is not very realistic. Imagine a picture of a fight between a warrior in a uncomfortable plate versus a swordmaster wearing a tunic. Thirdly, this would differentiate the roles of a "tanker" and a "dpser". Or we can say "defending force" and "striking force". As a bonus matter of fact: heavy armor users have the adventage of using defensive power as an offensive power. Swings with insufficient speed bonus bounces on a heavy armor, which only tickles the heavy armor's wielder. So sometimes they can avoid strikes with their movement skill (both player skill and athletics skill here) and chop the enemy.

Edit: I must add that heavy armor does worth to wear. Since there are many inexperienced easy hunts and the reason just above.
And I am not against heavy armor personally. In fact I like heavy armor.

alot now I play as a can opener(and many experienced guys do), you know, someone in lighter armor than a heavy and high enough agi to be able to swing much faster than them, it works quite well if u can block well
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!