Author Topic: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?  (Read 37005 times)

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2011, 12:16:32 am »
+1
we still need heavy tanks. and heavy tanks will still get surrounded and killed while medium/light tanks with decent athletics, will not get surrounded and live. heavy tanks just trade invaluable running speed and profiency for passive absorption.

i could run in plate for a long time with my actual bank. so really a lot of people could do. but i really don't feel comfortable fighting with that massive plate weight. i don't see many people in plate and not because people can't afford it. simply because there is people that like to walk slow but sustain more hits and people that enjoy to fight on the flanks and enjoy a better speed for footwork stuff.

edit:

and oh.. we see a lot of 1h blunt and pierce, 2h blunt, polearms pierce around.. so heavy armor is not that big advantage.
I agree with you. Some players have trouble either playing well...choosing a characters stats intelligently and or using the correct weapon(s) for the job. Also many of them don't fully understand the tradeoffs of things and automatically think more expensive = auto win mode with no downsides. Blunt and/or pierce weaps are available in 1h, 2h, pole, crossbow, longbow and throwing. I guess that's still not enough for some though. There should be some sort of noob training or something. Like any gen 1 character has to play and complete a training course first before they can play multiplayer.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:18:27 am by Lichen »

Offline IceManX

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2011, 12:25:08 am »
+1
I agree with you. Some players have trouble either playing well...choosing a characters stats intelligently and or using the correct weapon(s) for the job. Also many of them don't fully understand the tradeoffs of things and automatically think more expensive = auto win mode with no downsides. Blunt and/or pierce weaps are available in 1h, 2h, pole, crossbow, longbow and throwing. I guess that's still not enough for some though. There should be some sort of noob training or something. Like any gen 1 character has to play and complete a training course first before they can play multiplayer.

Sorry but everything you write and wrote is real bullshit and far away from realism...
How would you like to manage it? First gen is only allowed to play on duel server? Till they get enough kills... to play on normal servers then?

There is perhaps a training, called Factions. Players can join one and then be trained by good people.

And its not that correct, the highest price doesnt mean the best handling. There are people around that kill full tincans with staffs... pre january was is impossible to do that. the weapons got a good balance now.

Your suggestions dont make any sense!

Just for the information, pre january you could play crpg in SP. The Equip, weapons and builds could be used there...
this was removed, I dont know why.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:31:45 am by IceManX »

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2011, 12:35:14 am »
+1
Sorry but everything you write and wrote is real bullshit and far away from realism...
How would you like to manage it? First gen is only allowed to play on duel server? Till they get enough kills... to play on normal servers then?

There is perhaps a training, called Factions. Players can join one and then be trained by good people.

Your suggestions dont make any sense!

Just for the information, pre january you could play crpg in SP. The Equip, weapons and builds could be used there...
this was removed, I dont know why.
Eh all I'm saying is some way to help noobs. It gets old hearing the same dumb complaints over and over.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #183 on: July 25, 2011, 12:35:24 am »
+1
Currently, since there are so many town maps rolling on EU1 success formula is:

wear plate + swing poleaxe = profit

Shielders should have the upper hand in close quarters. Guess what, they don't. Also cut damage is crap against plate.

You think I'm wrong? Look around yourself, everyone is either stabbing with long spear or swinging with poleaxe. Some 1H, some 2H and those unavoidable morons who think they are playing medieval CS (they should be taken out of equation since they will play medieval CS no matter what happens). Also on marketplace everyone is exchanging for poleaxes.

you talk about a weapon balance issue rather than a armor balance issue. about the case you speak... about six months ago among 2h/polearm builds there was 60% 2handed and 40% polearms. now we have 20% 2handed players versus 80% polearms players. about plate, there are more and more 1h warhammers and steel picks around.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2011, 01:38:44 am »
+1
well now is:

grind grind grind retire armor grind grind grind retire armor grind grind grind retire armor grind grind grind retire weapon grind grind grind retire weapon grind grind grind retire weapon grind grind grind retire secondary weapon grind grind grind retire secondary weapon grind grind grind retire secondary weapon grind grind grind retire gauntlets grind grind grind retire gauntlets grind grind grind retire gauntlets.

as who grinded plate to keep up with tincans, now grind to keep up with +3 gear.

so instead grinding 1000 hours, became grinding 100.000 hours.

no matter what will the trolls say. chadz stated a fact as i did.

Oh cmon, the very slight advantage that heirlooms offer can be easily offset with a little skill (melee atleast!).

As a fairly new player myself (retired once), I've never felt at a serious disadvantage vs. ppl with fully lommed gear - they kick my ass in that gear, they would probably do it anyways.

And even so, if you play to grind for gear, you're doing it wrong.

you talk about a weapon balance issue rather than a armor balance issue. about the case you speak... about six months ago among 2h/polearm builds there was 60% 2handed and 40% polearms. now we have 20% 2handed players versus 80% polearms players. about plate, there are more and more 1h warhammers and steel picks around.

...and this is complete bs, look at the official usage statistics and you'll see (hint: There are way more 2h than both pole and shield among pure melee, with pure pole being the rarest)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline IceManX

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2011, 02:45:27 am »
I just thought about it

Now an important thing what chadz and his team forgot:

They forgot Heirlooms in the upkeep system... thats all...
Lordly Transitional Armor costs the same like the one everyone buys
Masterwork Scimitar costs the same like everyone buys.
And so on.

Here is the problem! There isnt any need to raise the upkeep from 5% to 7% like in the last patch.
Just calculate the "more cost" of items into the upkeep. That was just forgotten!

When someone uses an heirloom, he is paying the same price as one guy that uses the normal item. Is that fair?! An old player has the advantge of more gold, more skills and so on... but he pays the same price for it...

And thats what everyone is talking about, everyone running in plate. only old players use their lordly gear. decrease the upkeep to 5% of the itemprice and make heirlooms more expensive.

Thats it!

lower upkeep to the old 5% and make heirlooms to pay more, like the item value!
Thats keeps people away from using their best gear everytime...
dont punish new players with the upkeep system what it is nowadays. let players pay for their heirlooms.

(one thing, i am waiting for posts that dont like the idea, they are people mostly with many heirlooms and gold. they can afford the upkeep what its today. but they dont wanna pay more:)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:54:43 am by IceManX »

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2011, 03:56:16 am »
+1
Upkeep is sooner or later going to have to be fixed. As stated already, there are many players that don't pay attention to upkeep. In half a year, there will be more and more veterans to this game and upkeep will be gimped, unless some sort of dynamic upkeep is instated (or some other kind of solution). You can't just continue to increase the upkeep costs, as newer players will be shafted.

As rustyspoon said, upkeep is only a weak balancing act, and eventually, with the current system, it will collapse...

How long does it take to retire 4 times? About a dedicated month? Thats 4 looms * 450k which is 1.8 million gold. And don't get started on people who can already retire in like 3 days with their xp boosts.

And whoever said that fighting tin cans isn't all too intimidating, I agree. Sure, I may not be able to solo Goretooth or Tydeus with peasant armour, but plate wearers are penalized enough that they aren't invincible - the new anti-glancing system also helps "balance" plate. There are other people who don't even THINK about plate and do amazing (I'm lookin at you balbaroth and cyranule!)

This is coming from a guy with 1 heirloom (masterwork)... I hate grinding so am now going for level 32.

Offline Ackwire

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2011, 05:17:10 am »
+1
Could all this be sorted if perhaps you got added gold along with the extra XP each time you retired?   That would reward the longevity of a player.   Those that play and cycle thru a few times would have most of the pain mitigated for their time and effort with regards to mid tier armor and weps. 

Still keeps it expensive but some point you would be at least profitable in the 25k range while keeping the sink for those that come out in an all plate on plate pony set.  Despite what some people say, the current system still bleeds coin for me with 23k in gear.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2011, 06:05:16 am »
+1
Well then, and what is your current gear?

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2011, 07:07:02 am »
+1
Could all this be sorted if perhaps you got added gold along with the extra XP each time you retired?   That would reward the longevity of a player.   Those that play and cycle thru a few times would have most of the pain mitigated for their time and effort with regards to mid tier armor and weps. 

Still keeps it expensive but some point you would be at least profitable in the 25k range while keeping the sink for those that come out in an all plate on plate pony set.  Despite what some people say, the current system still bleeds coin for me with 23k in gear.

Bullshit, an average player can break even with 46k worth of gear if they have a sufficiant buffer for the bad days.I usually keep it around 30-35k to make a steady 8-10k a day and if u sell ur looms u can just ignore ipkeep tbh.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2011, 07:17:59 am »
+1
I play with an upkeep buffer of 25k. I act like 25000 gold = 0 gold. I net gold like crazy though with medium armor, I need to start wearing plate more.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2011, 07:30:28 am »
+1
I play with an upkeep buffer of 25k. I act like 25000 gold = 0 gold. I net gold like crazy though with medium armor, I need to start wearing plate more.
What would u classify as medium armour, the Heraldic Mails?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2011, 07:38:09 am »
+1
What would u classify as medium armour, the Heraldic Mails?

36-44 armour. Anything higher is heavy or plate.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2011, 07:42:22 am »
+1
36-44 armour. Anything higher is heavy or plate.
Oh lol then my char wearing 57 body armour total aint medium...

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2011, 07:47:26 am »
+1
Oh lol then my char wearing 57 body armour total aint medium...

Not counting gauntlets. But yes, 57 armour absorbs quite a bit of punishment.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:49:03 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.