Author Topic: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?  (Read 36962 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2011, 12:56:51 pm »
+1
It really wasn't that bad :shock:

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2011, 12:59:19 pm »
+1
It really wasn't that bad :shock:

No, it really was pretty terrible.  However the way it was handled got fumbled.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2011, 01:01:47 pm »
+1
No, it really was pretty terrible.  However the way it was handled got fumbled.

I don't know, I never had trouble as a new player back then. Now if I start a new character I dread it. Thank god for skip the fun.

Offline Kenouse

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deserter_Grlmb3rg
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2011, 01:03:29 pm »
+1
The only reason it was that "bad" as ppl call it, were because of the stacking of WPF... it was pretty normal to be lvl 42+ back in pre-january patch

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2011, 01:04:52 pm »
+1
Nothing change between now and january patch:
I remember ppl where whining before january, and they whine now.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:11:39 pm by Blondin »

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2011, 01:06:56 pm »
+1
The only reason it was that "bad" as ppl call it, were because of the stacking of WPF... it was pretty normal to be lvl 42+ back in pre-january patch

Yes, but even without wpf stacking abuse from retirement, eventually we would have hit level 50-60-70 etc and gotten to the same problem, only with:
ATH -12
WM - 12
PS - 12
IF - 12
PD/PT -12

etc.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2011, 01:13:30 pm »
+1
But now all of that has changed. So remove upkeep...or reduce it drastically.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2011, 01:19:43 pm »
+2
The problem before was that WPF stacked on retirement.  So people like Balbaroth/Hippy with a scimi would hit you before the actual animation hit you.

Now if someone REALLY has a lot of time on their hands(kesh) we could probably see this happen again soon though it would not be as wide spread as before hence it take longer for chadz to correct it.

I will say this though.  This game is a ton better than it used to be when there was WPF stacking.  My god...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Cain

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitallers
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Cain
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2011, 02:34:15 pm »
+1
How much equipment are people actually using, my equip cost 48,586, I still made 40k in the last few days.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2011, 02:48:56 pm »
+1
Imo now armor and horses (expect tank horses because no one uses them thus it's hard to tell) would be balanced even without upkeep. We are limited in levels so heavily armored people are slow. Before January, we had helicopter tincans because those guys were level 40 and had like 300 wpf. Now with wpf bonus removed and level cap, armor choice is a matter of tradeoff, even without any upkeep.

Upkeep was overkill and didn't adressed any issue by itself. Level cap and retirement massive nerf (heirlooms nerf, wpf bonus removed, xp bonus lowered...) were enough to make all types of armor attractive. Changes on riding skill requirement where weird and fucked things up as nearly every cav can ride a PC without gimping themselves now. If horse requirements and agi per riding skill were returned to prepatch values, we could safely remove upkeep altogether as a PC build would mean 30 agility again.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2011, 02:54:10 pm »
+1
Imo now armor and horses (expect tank horses because no one uses them thus it's hard to tell) would be balanced even without upkeep. We are limited in levels so heavily armored people are slow. Before January, we had helicopter tincans because those guys were level 40 and had like 300 wpf. Now with wpf bonus removed and level cap, armor choice is a matter of tradeoff, even without any upkeep.

Upkeep was overkill and didn't adressed any issue by itself. Level cap and retirement massive nerf (heirlooms nerf, wpf bonus removed, xp bonus lowered...) were enough to make all types of armor attractive. Changes on riding skill requirement where weird and fucked things up as nearly every cav can ride a PC without gimping themselves now. If horse requirements and agi per riding skill were returned to prepatch values, we could safely remove upkeep altogether as a PC build would mean 30 agility again.

Did you fought against cav heavy team with infantry team ? i guess not. It's hard. Did you fought against tin cans on plated chargers as infantry ? I guess no, and that will happen if there will be no upkeep.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2011, 03:16:46 pm »
+1
Bob, given this is my first post, I find this encouraging... do you call everyone in the forums a wanker?  I do appreciate Gorath explaining and citing references.  It's also alot more polite.  :)

Don't worry though.  No hard feelings.  :wink:

I explained many times how armor works, or so I think, maybe it was on another forums and that thread that got me raging like there was no tomorrow about the Safavid armor or w/e

A 2 hander will actually be faster than a 1 hander thanks the to way the weapon is held.

It must have been pretty bad from what Im seeing on the forums...  so things are at least much better.  Yeah, I started as an archer and am hating it - almost to 30 now so I can retire and choose something better. :(  Strong bow is helping alot - thanks! :)

It wasnt really, discussed it with my friend who I introduced to cRPG a year ago, there was more heavy armor but it wasnt an endless wave of shinning (or not so shinning) plate armor that would mow down everyone.

And yes some people here fully deserve to be called wankers, even worst in some case.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:19:13 pm by Bobthehero »
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2011, 03:30:40 pm »
Good players adapt, weak players lobby.  :wink:

Man i can't believe the amount of whine in this thread. What a bunch of sissyboys blaming everything but themselves.  :rolleyes:

Come on guys, it's easy to earn money in cRPG. It's also very simple: win.

If you can't be arsed to try and organize your team, get some teamplay out of the game and make a serious effort, then you don't deserve to walk around in top-end gear all the time! Now get over it already.

The upkeep is NOT too high, in fact, it's still too low as i'm running around with my horse, two shields, heralic mail, elite scimitar and my moneypile is still growing steadily.

And this nonesense about upkeep hurting new players is also complete poppycock. I've tutored several new players recently and you earn so much money so fast that within weeks of starting crpg, money ceases to be an issue. Just use your heads when selecting gear. Don't wear what you can't afford. Come on guys, it's not that hard.

2 best posts in this thread.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2011, 04:23:52 pm »
+1

It wasnt really, discussed it with my friend who I introduced to cRPG a year ago, there was more heavy armor but it wasnt an endless wave of shinning (or not so shinning) plate armor that would mow down everyone.

Of course not everyone was having heavy armor. Not yet. But every day some people got to the "endgame" stage. More and more people were leaving the game because it was just boring the shit out of most people. Grind grind grind, buy armor, grind grind grind, buy weapon, etc etc. To be a tincan it didn't matter if you were good or had skills or wit or whatever. You just had to play for 1000 hours. Woah, great goal there, really.

I can assure you, without upkeep, cRPG would have been dead by now. Running around as an unstoppable tincan sounds like fun. Until you are forced to do it to keep up with the others.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2011, 06:27:25 pm »
The problem before was that WPF stacked on retirement.  So people like Balbaroth/Hippy with a scimi would hit you before the actual animation hit you.

Now if someone REALLY has a lot of time on their hands(kesh) we could probably see this happen again soon though it would not be as wide spread as before hence it take longer for chadz to correct it.

I will say this though.  This game is a ton better than it used to be when there was WPF stacking.  My god...

yeah but we need a higher level cap and lower wpf cost to raise fighting speed. actually native fighting speed is 1.5 times faster.