Author Topic: The small things that add to gameplay...  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
The small things that add to gameplay...
« on: July 13, 2011, 12:29:46 pm »
+2
Hey guys.

okin made a list at some point with some management suggestions to make things in strat easier.
What I want this thread to be is a wishlist for all the small things that could make the strat better.
Not heavy new gameplay features or anything like this.

A few short suggestions:

1) In-strat communication and messages
2) A faction menu, for assigning roles and responsibilities
3) When you click a player, you see his faction and the messages they want public. Among them their leadership and diplomats. Maybe their banner as well.
4) Color is unique, so that no faction can have the same color on the map.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: The small things that add to gameplay...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:01:09 pm »
+2
Suggestions like this are very important, since there are so many simple ways to improve the core usability and overall Strategus experience. The ideas you're talking about were Segd's suggestions originally, but I'll adapt them here in order of priority as I see it:

1) Commanders need to be able to submit info to applicants on the battle screen before they're accepted as well as after. Have two info boxes appear on the battle page for everyone who hasn't been hired yet, one for each team. Leave the old info screen as it was.

2) Automatically submitted char details in each merc application. You wouldn't hire mercs blind in real life, but trying to force players to apply with proper information is incredibly unreliable and impractical. It has to be automated.

3) You should also make each player define their account by location before allowing them to apply -- EU, NA, Oceania etc. This should be permanent and only changeable by request to admins to avoid cheating, and also visible on each application.

4) If at all possible, give commanders the ability to kick and tempban players on their own team. Admins won't always be around, and we all know by now that there really has to be some way to control unruly mercs.

5) If it's not too inconvenient to do, it'd be nice if commanders had the option to pre-define full sets of equipment that players can spawn with, disallowing mix-and-match approaches and equip wasting.
Don't.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:13:48 pm »
2) Automatically submitted char details in each merc application. You wouldn't hire mercs blind in real life, but trying to force players to apply with proper information is incredibly unreliable and impractical. It has to be automated.

Yeah, and we really need to be able to see the mercs K/D ratio and perhabs build, unless some want thier build to be hidden.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:20:03 pm »
+1
Build is what I was talking about. If the commander wants build details, I don't think players should be allowed to opt out and still apply. If keeping build secret is really such a big deal for people, then it could be done like this:

a) commander has an opt-in checkbox to demand build details for the battle from applicants
b) if the box is checked, players are informed on the battle info page
c) players who don't agree to show their build can opt out by not applying

Personally, I would consider K/D data much more sensitive than build info, but it could work on the same principle.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:23:57 pm by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 01:25:22 pm »
Personally, I would consider K/D data much more sensitive than build info, but it could work on the same principle.

You would, I think its the other way around. Seeing that some of the real good players dont waht to show thier build. But everyoneknows that they have good K/Ds.
Anyway I think it should be optionalable if you want to show your K/D or build or none of them, then its your own problem if people want hire you because they aren't sure if it a good choice.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:27:41 pm by Byrdi »

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:31:30 pm »
You would, I think its the other way around. Seeing that some of the real good players dont need to show thier build, you just have to see thier K/D and you'll hire them :D

Not really, build info is vital for actually planning the battle. K/D might be useful for picking out skilled mercs, but it only tells a small part of the story. For one thing, build/playstyle also has a significant impact on your K/D potential. It's all just a part of your overall player profile, but still useful info for commanders.
Don't.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 03:14:02 pm »
+1
What about showing wpf and if they have riding or not? Those are the two important ones.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:32:33 pm »
+1
I fully agree, adds more strategic planning.  Also, k/d is actually useful in that it lets you know if someone si a troll with their .00011 k/d
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 03:56:45 pm »
I vote that it is optionable for players to submit info. If the commanders then don't take them, then they don't take them!
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 04:08:42 pm »
That's basically no change; players can make the choice of what info to submit even now. It's not good enough, we've seen it before.

What about showing wpf and if they have riding or not? Those are the two important ones.

That works, really. The rest is just bonus.
Don't.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 04:11:49 pm »
For the love of equus africanus asinus please please please make the strat map window box larger! Yesterday all I could think about was how blasted small that thing was... :/

I agree with all of the suggestions presented so far too.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 04:21:29 pm »
@okin: I see what you mean. The difference though is that the information cannot be forged.
But... I get your point as well.

another suggestion: A way for people to go on vacation without losing their character.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 05:26:55 pm »
another suggestion: A way for people to go on vacation without losing their character.

Hey now, I am new to this strategus thing and this comment disturbs me, what do you mean?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 06:45:53 pm »
In old strat after a week of inactivity your items and ticks in strat was reset.

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 07:24:55 pm »
k/d ratio don´t mean a shit if the player only play on siege or dtv servers...
Even more, good k/d doens´t mean that you follow order, in fact stupid Rambo have a good ratio...