Author Topic: The new lancing  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
The new lancing
« on: July 12, 2011, 11:36:11 pm »
+5
just played my first round and its cool.  sry for the primary bitching ^^
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
Re: The new lancing
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:24:41 am »
+4
I haven't played in this new system but just from what I've been seeing people do I think it adds a lot more strategy to the cav class. They can't simply circle poke with a lance anymore, they have to now plan their charge well ahead of time. It gives them much more incentive to "hit and run," making lance passes and getting far away before wheeling around and attacking again.

It also creates a great dichotomy between lance cav and onehanded cav; you'll want a good mix of the two in a good team, since lance cav can be your flankers and 1h cav can get in close and dirty with their sideswings and circling. 

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:41:45 am »
+1
actually  good lancers always did that.  i think the change just makes lancing not so spammable (as in every noob gets a horse) which is cool
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Shpongled

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • Totally shpongled, mate...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Shpongled, Merc_Shpongebob_Tightpantsh, Merc_Shpongtastic
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:41:35 am »
+1
You would like it, you only ever stabbed people in that arc anyway.....

Champion courser users are largely unaffected by this change. Sarranid horse, on the other hand....

"I gotta turn down my merc application as i was in a pub and would be of no use to you. Maybe it's good for you in the end, although i was motivated to see the first merc's defeat ever in strategus."
 --- Beauchamp

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 01:44:38 am »
amusing. 

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:45:29 am »
You would like it, you only ever stabbed people in that arc anyway.....

Champion courser users are largely unaffected by this change. Sarranid horse, on the other hand....

I can see higher charge value horses becoming more the standard for lancers, and faster more maneuverable horses becoming the domain of 1handers and Horse Archers because of this. Definitely not a bad thing in my opinion; it leads to a more specialized gear loadout for each class.

A maneuverable horse might still have some value while charging however; they are by nature easier to "bail out" of a bad charge with, and also, they'll fare better against other horsemen on heavier horses.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 01:45:54 am »
I like it in theory because it allows 1h cav again. But there's a big problem with it, it's that now 2h are immune to cav. And many polearms as well. You can still attack occupied enemies though (it's a bit harder). But no more raping lone people.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 01:48:55 am »
I like it in theory because it allows 1h cav again. But there's a big problem with it, it's that now 2h are immune to cav. And many polearms as well. You can still attack occupied enemies though (it's a bit harder). But no more raping lone people.

you always have the weirdest insights.... 

Offline Shpongled

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • Totally shpongled, mate...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Shpongled, Merc_Shpongebob_Tightpantsh, Merc_Shpongtastic
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 01:49:22 am »
But no more raping lone people.

Best.

Sentence.

Evar.

"I gotta turn down my merc application as i was in a pub and would be of no use to you. Maybe it's good for you in the end, although i was motivated to see the first merc's defeat ever in strategus."
 --- Beauchamp

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 01:50:27 am »
Best.

Sentence.

Evar.

as in how-the-hell-does-he-come-to-think-that

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 01:50:40 am »

Its a lot harder when they're facing you now, but I feel like that's how it should be. That should be the domain of the 1h horseman. The lancer should mostly be ninja-ing, something which so far I have seen done to great effect on the servers (especially on foggy maps.) And while it may take more skill, zig-zagging toward an aware enemy may also throw off their swing timing, allowing you to score a lance hit that way.

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 02:07:05 am »
I haven't played in this new system but just from what I've been seeing people do I think it adds a lot more strategy to the cav class. They can't simply circle poke with a lance anymore, they have to now plan their charge well ahead of time. It gives them much more incentive to "hit and run," making lance passes and getting far away before wheeling around and attacking again.

It also creates a great dichotomy between lance cav and onehanded cav; you'll want a good mix of the two in a good team, since lance cav can be your flankers and 1h cav can get in close and dirty with their sideswings and circling.
yes that is in the perfect world where you use a super armored horse.. i guess if you sold a heirloom you may.. but if you use any horse that is not armored... good luck getting dirty...
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 02:08:53 am »
I can see higher charge value horses becoming more the standard for lancers, and faster more maneuverable horses becoming the domain of 1handers and Horse Archers because of this. Definitely not a bad thing in my opinion; it leads to a more specialized gear loadout for each class.

A maneuverable horse might still have some value while charging however; they are by nature easier to "bail out" of a bad charge with, and also, they'll fare better against other horsemen on heavier horses.
What do you smoke?. 1handers need strong horses that can take loads of damage.. not horses that get killed in 2 arrows.. let alone being hit by other kind of weapons...For guys like you is that the horses were nerfed like this. You have no idea. For a 1hander the maneuverlity isnt that important. You actually only attack vulnerable targets or you are screwed. A lancer has his lance to keep distance, so they go better with the best turners. (well that is not true anymore since they actually cant gain distance anymore). 1h need very strong horses with tons of charge, so you can actually can cross the enemy line slashing the necks of the other team. Doing that with a weak horse is instant dead. Then again, you can use a 1h to attack non aware targets as you were a lancer.. but then.. what is the point of having 2 kind of cavalry that doesnt basically the same?... and that is... backstabing ppl and trampling peasants. Salute.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:14:21 am by Trikipum »
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 02:16:42 am »
Its a lot harder when they're facing you now, but I feel like that's how it should be. That should be the domain of the 1h horseman. The lancer should mostly be ninja-ing, something which so far I have seen done to great effect on the servers (especially on foggy maps.) And while it may take more skill, zig-zagging toward an aware enemy may also throw off their swing timing, allowing you to score a lance hit that way.
No man in the world would try killing a horse/rider at full speed using a 2h, coz even if you hit the horse/rider... you are likely going to receive more damage than the horse/person combo :). If you kill the horse.. well, good luck stoping a 500kg horse going at 50 km/h with your chest.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 02:47:32 am »
Before the patch you could safely (if you timed it right) hit anyone with a shorter weapon than the heavy lance without risking getting hit. Now you cannot do that anymore. Every attack means risking your horse or yourself (or both).

Personally I don't like this limitation to the lance attack at all and I don't enjoy playing the class near as much as I did. I feel so damn restricted. Like a retard on a horse.
The level of skill to make full use of the lancer class has been decreased alot with this "nerf".

However I'm not only sad about this. With the restrictions of the classes (by making them less versatile) teamplay is becoming more important. And I like teamplay.
Lancers are now much more dependent on other classes or by other lancers as they can no longer own on their own. Which is good I guess.
However... 2H owns all other melee classes including 1h cav and lancers. Is that really how it should be?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:14:27 am by Riddaren »