Author Topic: Tin Cans and Upkeep Costs  (Read 1960 times)

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
Re: Tin Cans and Upkeep Costs
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 11:10:56 am »

ummm

0 armor= 1shotted.
Full black armor= 10+ throwing axes to kill.

Longer you live, the more damage you can do. Armor can turn a terrible player into a human wrecking ball. If you don't think armor is valuable, then you've never seen the top of the scoreboard.

Top NA players ROHYPNOL (excellent cav player, does best in heavy armor,) Snipsalot (don't remember his build off the top of my head,) Tydeus (guaranteed to cause hell in full plate... he also happens to disagree with you,) Goretooth (who has become such an icon in his black armor, that his setup is dubbed "Goretooth Armor,") need I go on? See a common theme here? They all take advantage of the benefits of heavy armor.

I don't agree. Sometimes I am really annoyed after I get killed with 3-4 hits by 1h despite my 68 body armour. On the other hand in gambeson I survive 2-3 hits from 1h. I don't understand it. Also the weight of the armour is very important and it influences on your combat possibilities. Sometimes I kill more guys in light clothes than in my Lordly Transitional Armour and I survive similar number of hits.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Skyrim UI

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 01:03:38 pm »
I just dont understand why people whine so much about tincans,its nice battling with/against tincans,it boost the medieval atmosphere..

This.

Only NA players do think armor is that important. In EU, armor will gimp you so much for evading projectiles and footwork that in the end you loose survivability.

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 03:58:11 pm »
With arrow speed as slow as it is dodging projectiles at even the slowest of walking speeds isn't an issue.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 05:06:10 pm »
I don't agree. Sometimes I am really annoyed after I get killed with 3-4 hits by 1h despite my 68 body armour. On the other hand in gambeson I survive 2-3 hits from 1h. I don't understand it. Also the weight of the armour is very important and it influences on your combat possibilities. Sometimes I kill more guys in light clothes than in my Lordly Transitional Armour and I survive similar number of hits.

Usually I will make more kills in light to medium armor, unless my ping is good, in which case I can play heavy armor well.

Heavy armor slows your attacks down and your movement. If you aren't attacking, you aren't killing. When I don my black armor, I will get swamped by haters with little chance of getting away or attacking back, and if my ping is above 100, I'm useless. The players seawied mentioned are top players and I'm assuming they have wpf out the ass; I can easily mention lightly armored pro players.

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 06:59:02 pm »
+1
Only NA players do think armor is that important. In EU, armor will gimp you so much for evading projectiles and footwork that in the end you loose survivability.
And that's why you get a plated charger. Or EU is too poor in general that for some reason only the NA players got more Tincans riding Tincan horses? :mrgreen:

Plate armors are better looking in my opinion, and that's what mattered to me.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 08:58:04 pm »

If you took the same hit in your gambeson that took 3 hits to kill you, you most likely would have been 1 shotted.

And here is my proof that you can survive 9 axes in plate armor.
It's not the reasoning since you guys mean well and put thought into it I think, it's the results that's the problem.

(click to show/hide)

I currently am doing 158 throwing, 6 powerthrow. There are 8 axes in that person. A ninth one followed, before I was chopped down in two hits.

Still think armor isn't that good?  :wink:
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 09:19:23 pm »
+2
Armor gives you a lot more consistency. You can survive a few more hits and take more risky offensive actions. 1-2 extra hits goes a long way.

Of course, you can tear it up in light armor, but what I notice is that you can do really well, but you're a lot less consistent with how well you do, since you get killed a lot quicker as a glass cannon. You can still take around 2 decent hits in lighter armor.

The marketplace entirely ruined upkeep as a means to limit these heavily armored players. Get to level 31 and get 300-400k, enough to last a few generations if you're getting that x5 a lot. Sell a masterwork item lying around and that's  at least 1million gold.

The only thing I can think of is the existence of another currency only for upkeep, only obtainable while playing the game, but that's really drastic.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 09:55:37 pm »
Armor gives you a lot more consistency. You can survive a few more hits and take more risky offensive actions. 1-2 extra hits goes a long way.

Of course, you can tear it up in light armor, but what I notice is that you can do really well, but you're a lot less consistent with how well you do, since you get killed a lot quicker as a glass cannon. You can still take around 2 decent hits in lighter armor.

The marketplace entirely ruined upkeep as a means to limit these heavily armored players. Get to level 31 and get 300-400k, enough to last a few generations if you're getting that x5 a lot. Sell a masterwork item lying around and that's  at least 1million gold.

The only thing I can think of is the existence of another currency only for upkeep, only obtainable while playing the game, but that's really drastic.
but then it you would get infinite money for the marketplace because you don't have to pay upkeep :wink:

If you took the same hit in your gambeson that took 3 hits to kill you, you most likely would have been 1 shotted.

And here is my proof that you can survive 9 axes in plate armor.

Still think armor isn't that good?  :wink:
armor may give you survivability, but that doesn't mean it's better(ofc it's better then a gambeson), longbow arrows really hurt, nomatter how you put it, and so do xbows, throwing axes are cut damage(big difference), and that's also a reason why i'd like armored horses to be less expensive, because for example if you have a courser and 7 riding, you will almost insta kill with a heavy lance, but with a large warhorse, about half of all people. you can get less kills in the time you would with a courser, and the same counts for heavy armor.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:59:48 pm by Berethorn »

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 10:33:34 pm »
for example if you have a courser and 7 riding, you will almost insta kill with a heavy lance, but with a large warhorse, about half of all people. you can get less kills in the time you would with a courser, and the same counts for heavy armor.

I'd like to pull this quote just to emphasize my point for a second

ROHYPNOL, with one of the highest  KDRs world-wide is a lancer who frequently uses heavy armor. He does well with light/medium armor, but he really shines when he is in his high-cost gear.

Armor does have its drawbacks, but you really can't theorycraft your way into saying that armor is bad. If this were the case, you would would see the top 10 strewn with exclusively-low-armored melee and cav listed in the top 10 (or even top 100.) Heavy armor is clearly better than light/medium armor, even with its drawbacks.

Especially now, in its current patch, armor is even more effective at keeping you alive longer. I'm starting to gather that the new upkeep increase is partially done in response to the new damage calculations implemented.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:34:55 pm by Seawied »
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 11:27:16 pm »
Didn't expect to hear the word theorycraft on these forums.

I think the armor soak thing was a nerfbuff, since before when I saw these armored titans in a group fight they would take 4-5 hits before actually getting stunned from a hit. I see a lot more of them stuck in stun/having more difficulty with multiple opponents.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 12:02:41 am »
I'd like to pull this quote just to emphasize my point for a second

ROHYPNOL, with one of the highest  KDRs world-wide is a lancer who frequently uses heavy armor. He does well with light/medium armor, but he really shines when he is in his high-cost gear.

Armor does have its drawbacks, but you really can't theorycraft your way into saying that armor is bad. If this were the case, you would would see the top 10 strewn with exclusively-low-armored melee and cav listed in the top 10 (or even top 100.) Heavy armor is clearly better than light/medium armor, even with its drawbacks.

Especially now, in its current patch, armor is even more effective at keeping you alive longer. I'm starting to gather that the new upkeep increase is partially done in response to the new damage calculations implemented.
im not especially talking about cav, because cav has the leaset drawbacks using heavy armor, but i mean, if goretooth would wear light armor, he'd be way faster, but survive less. if you have a courser and plate, you'll be just as fast as a guy with light armor and a courser(right?).

and i'm not trying to say heavy armor is bad, it just has it's pro's and cons, and yes probably a bit more pro's then cons then light armor has, but hey, it's not expensive for no reason.

and what did the patch change about armor then?

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)