Author Topic: Random chance of death for old players  (Read 3816 times)

Offline LLJK_Brolocaust

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Random chance of death for old players
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:15:21 am »
So perhaps the most shocking addition in the changelog, and one that would deserve its own thread, would be:

- added random chance of permanent death for old characters

I haven't seen any clarification yet as to what this means of whether or not it is real. It could very well be a joke but we can't know for sure until a few days have passed. I guess the first priority would be to straighten out those details.

Secondly I think this could be a terrible idea. If death results in playerwipe I can guarantee that almost any high gen player would GTX. I have put over 600 hours into my one character and I'm sure there are several people out there who have put over 1000 hours into their characters or even 2000. I think the greatest thing about the retirement system is that it allows us to experience variety while keeping a sense of progression, a permanent death would undo all the great things about the system as it is.

The more likely scenario would be a forced retirement, where the player has to choose an heirloom and start their next character. Lets assume that only player of level 31 or over can "die", this feature plays a role to prevent us from reaching level 33 and such. This is an okay feature but frustratingly unnecessary IMO. Many players including myself are reaching the end of their "retirement phase" and are now focusing on levelling up to 33 or 35 (god help them) and to be honest I would really appreciate an end to the grind. Adding playerdeath would remove any motivation from playing beyond level 31 because any gained experience can be taken away at any moment. Please don't take that away from us chadz! Is it really so terrible to have some level 33s on the battlefield? They already are paying a huge price by gaining 35mil experience and by not heirlooming their items.

So lets collect our thoughts and wait for the first reports of player death to come in, I'm sure there will be some false reports but we will know if they are real soon enough.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:18:36 am by LLJK_Brolocaust »

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
Re: Random chance of death for old players
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:30:41 am »
So perhaps the most shocking addition in the changelog, and one that would deserve its own thread, would be-added random chance of permanent death for old characters

wall of text

This has been discussed on irc, and if it is indeed what it was said it would be, it is NOT a character wipe.
You play, as usual. Reach lv31. Then decide to keep leveling. And you get older. And older. And then suddenly, your character die, with no coming back possible. So obviously, it "forces" you to retire, but in no way does it delete your character.

This is to prevent high level players breaking the balance (maybe for strategus too) and to insure a good renewal of peasants in the game.

I still hope this random chance only happens if you're lv32 or higher, so that you can actually have fun with your lv31 finished build a bit, before retiring.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:36:07 am »
+2
this can't be true.

it's an old joke from another patch a long long time ago.. couple of times i think, or maybe once before has he said the same in patch notes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Visus

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • TripSteppin'.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Visus_of_Chaos
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 05:37:57 am »
+1
...IF this is true. Kesh will shit his pants hahaha
الايرلندي ليوبارد

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 05:45:24 am »
...IF this is true. Kesh will shit his pants hahaha

Already did, already did.....jk
I am already planning a respec once strategus comes up, figure level 34 will be significantly lower % chance.  Seems fair they give us an idea of chance as this is such a dramatic impact on your character.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline ICEMAN1779

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 05:50:12 am »
I think ill give mount&blade a break untill we no for shur if its tru. See you guys in a week or so :wink:

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 06:49:39 am »
meh.  if torben dies,  ill quite.  real life has some quality shit going on anyway

edit. :  quit.  dang,  my spellings off these days...
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:51:25 am »
This has been discussed on irc, and if it is indeed what it was said it would be, it is NOT a character wipe.
You play, as usual. Reach lv31. Then decide to keep leveling. And you get older. And older. And then suddenly, your character die, with no coming back possible. So obviously, it "forces" you to retire, but in no way does it delete your character.

This is to prevent high level players breaking the balance (maybe for strategus too) and to insure a good renewal of peasants in the game.

I still hope this random chance only happens if you're lv32 or higher, so that you can actually have fun with your lv31 finished build a bit, before retiring.

Soooo... skip the fun and you're safe forever... awesome.

Offline 3ABP

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 09:02:59 am »
No more leveling up, no more increasing weapons stats... welcome to Native 2.0?
I hope not, but sounds...
              [STR] Strangers Faction

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 09:20:44 am »
Secondly I think this could be a terrible idea. If death results in playerwipe I can guarantee that almost any high gen player would GTX. I have put over 600 hours into my one character and I'm sure there are several people out there who have put over 1000 hours into their characters or even 2000. I think the greatest thing about the retirement system is that it allows us to experience variety while keeping a sense of progression, a permanent death would undo all the great things about the system as it is.

I'm pretty sure you've got it all wrong. Like Bulzur said, "old characters" surely refers to character age, not account age. That means it targets high-level characters, not high-gen ones. Its purpose can only be to put pressure on people to keep retiring; I'm willing to bet there's no chance of permadeath at level 30 or below.
Don't.

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 10:01:22 am »
This just in from IRC:

Quote from: IRC
<@chadz> It's permanent death, not retirement. You get to choose one heirloom to keep for another character, while the others are scavenged on the battlefield and lost. All generations are lost. It will start happening on level 32, and be pretty frequent by 35.
<@chadz> Also, more generations = higher chance of death
trollface

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 10:03:09 am »
fakelogs  :shock:

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 10:03:50 am »
spoilsport :(

Offline Lansamur

• Count
  • Renown: 232
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lansamur, The_Prisoner,Beer_Storage, Carebear_Ravenei
  • IRC nick: Lansamur
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 10:08:43 am »
Pfff... good thing I never bother playing till lvl 32 then.
[22:17] <@chadz> congratz cmpxchg8b, you managed to put 995 errors into the item sheet!
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> epic winning
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> beat that Fasader

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 11:18:57 am »
chadz has a weird sense of humour but i guess its funny in a way seeing that some of you accurately believes that its true  :lol:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.