Author Topic: Nerfing xbow/bow shoot speed by 31% next patch is too extreme  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_BD_Ming
  • IRC nick: Ming
Re: Nerfing xbow/bow shoot speed by 31% next patch is too extreme
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 08:54:26 pm »
+2
Now all archers need to learn how to use bows to aim all over again. Great job :!:

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 08:57:09 pm »
+3
Now all archers need to learn how to use bows to aim all over again. Great job :!:

The best way to use a bow now is going to be to hold your arrow until they are directly in your face about to strike because there's no way you can hit anyone dodging running around. Obviously this makes sense now that we are worried about realism.

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 08:58:45 pm »
+2
The best way to use a bow now is going to be to hold your arrow until they are directly in your face about to strike because there's no way you can hit anyone dodging running around. Obviously this makes sense now that we are worried about realism.

Even if i do that i still need fucking 15 arrows to kill Templar_PolePoop

Offline Tuonela

• Baron
  • Renown: 145
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tuonela, Merc_Tuoni
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 09:01:13 pm »
Even if i do that i still need fucking 15 arrows to kill Templar_PolePoop

You aren't meant to kill tincans with a Strong bow.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 09:09:37 pm »
+1
Is the new patch out? did you make some test? did you play with this new patch?
or are you just crying about something write on this forum or on irc?

Once again, majority of our community (atleast archers) fail to see a greatest goal.
You all know that chadz doesn't fuckin' care of cRPG, he's only dream is Strategus, and i'm sure that all of the tweak (or nerf) have been done to fit Strategus.
I remember old Strat battles, it was archerfest, chadz said that he didn't want that anymore...

I'm looking forward to see a big battle with this new change, and i hope that Strat battles will allow more tactics that just archers kitting.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:11:11 pm by Blondin »

Offline Sammael

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SammaeI
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 09:16:09 pm »
+2
I'm afraid this might not have the desired effect. As other have pointed out, shooting at longer distances requires a calculation of lead time and arrow drop, as it should. However, quite rarely do I find targets that maintain their current course for very long. Sideways movements, slowing down, moving faster all happen quite often. This being the case, the longer it takes for an arrow to reach the target, the more likely it is that the target has altered their course in the time between release and impact of the arrow. Successfully hitting a target would therefore become more luck dependant rather than skill dependant, at any significant range.

Can't we leave archery as is? I have recently done both an archery gen and a cav gen. I can tell you that I don't particulary feel more skilled at either role, however my k:d ratio as an archer hovers around 1, while my cav k:d (currently at level 26, mind you) is well into the 2's.

If developers would like to balance a particular play style to become more skill dependant, why not start with the style that seems to do exceptionally well even when the player is less than exceptional?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not lobbying for a cavalry nerf, but higher dependance on skill is a good thing and cavalry could use some adjustments before we start messing with archery, especially in a way that very well may not end up accomplishing what was intended, instead resulting in a nerf.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 09:50:26 pm »
+2
Is the new patch out? did you make some test? did you play with this new patch?
or are you just crying about something write on this forum or on irc?

Once again, majority of our community (atleast archers) fail to see a greatest goal.
You all know that chadz doesn't fuckin' care of cRPG, he's only dream is Strategus, and i'm sure that all of the tweak (or nerf) have been done to fit Strategus.
I remember old Strat battles, it was archerfest, chadz said that he didn't want that anymore...

I'm looking forward to see a big battle with this new change, and i hope that Strat battles will allow more tactics that just archers kitting.

Wow, you do realize that was over 4 patches ago, each one nerfing archery more and more?? 

And the skill argument, why dont we reduce shoot speed to 1 as it it will require real skill to hit accurately then?  This is way to biga  nerf and will not add to real skill becasue the arrows will travels incredbily slow that any idiot with any  skill can dodge them.  Archer duels will be meaningless, and archers will do even worse than now (and theya lready ahve some of the lowest k/ds of any class).
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 10:05:38 pm »
Wow, you do realize that was over 4 patches ago, each one nerfing archery more and more?? 

And the skill argument, why dont we reduce shoot speed to 1 as it it will require real skill to hit accurately then?  This is way to biga  nerf and will not add to real skill becasue the arrows will travels incredbily slow that any idiot with any  skill can dodge them.  Archer duels will be meaningless, and archers will do even worse than now (and theya lready ahve some of the lowest k/ds of any class).

What does mean k/d ratio per class when we speak of teamwork?
Once again, you think that change are bad because you don't have the same k/d ratio that one year ago... i know you remember old Strat battles or native battles, i can understand that as an archer you like that, but what's the interest if warband is just a medieval CS, if the only valuable tactics is archery pwning? I agree archery should have a place in battles but not the major one, i like to play my archer, and i never play on no ranged server because it's bs and no fun, but i like to fight in battles, too infantry vs infantry (i don't speak of cRPG).
We should wait and see, if Strat battles (ok we should wait a long time) are nice and fun for everybody then it's goof, if they are lame and ranged too much nerfed then a buff would be needed, just give inf a chance.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 10:16:14 pm »
This happened before with throwing.

It made me relearn my throwing and arcing and made it impossible to hit anything moving at mid-long ranges.

One thing it DOES do, is increase the damage from speedbonus.

Not sure how it works, but I do remember that speedbonus has a higher effect on slower projectiles.

Anyway, looks like a harsh nerf, since I don't feel like the projectilespeed is too high now. And I'm not even an archer.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2011, 10:26:19 pm »
+1
You aren't meant to kill tincans with a Strong bow.

still its a bow...i mean if u r talking about real life, strongbow is less damaging than the longbow, but again, the differences are not that big.

Offline Apostata

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_John_Applebottom
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2011, 10:28:22 pm »
Perhaps it's time to learn how to shoot in volleys.

*runs away*

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2011, 10:31:26 pm »
+3

*runs away*

Volleys were effective, against close knit formations of hundreds of men . . . I forsee a problem.
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2011, 10:40:42 pm »
+4

*runs away*

Volleys are meant against large clumps (extremely rare in c-rpg), and secondly unless archer builds are identical, volleys are impossible. The Fallen have tried to do volleys innumerable times, and the shoots speeds are so different from archer to archer that they are more of a head ache then anything.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Lorenzo

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew Pew!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_SaifaQc
  • IRC nick: Lorenzo
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2011, 10:45:19 pm »
+1
Obviously I did not tried the changes but I'm really scared.

Most of the last nerf patch did not really changed the way I had to play (minor ajustments but I got over it quickly) with a missile speed change it may feel like shooting underwater for a while.

Anyway, we'll see!

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2011, 11:06:00 pm »
+1
Too many changes really make things unsecure for many players. I was a polearmer, i went to archery because of the newly introduced longbow. Now after this nerf i will have to change my hierlooms again :(
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:07:54 pm by Ming »