Author Topic: what do u think about (dedicated) xbow-men??  (Read 2802 times)

Offline mOus333

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolves
  • Game nicks: Black_Widow
  • IRC nick: Black_Widow
what do u think about (dedicated) xbow-men??
« on: July 09, 2011, 07:10:32 pm »
heyya  c-rpg nation  :wink:
My first idea .. gtfo whit 1 -slot xbow... :evil:
When some1 wanst to play on x-bow character i think that is a good idea.Its ok for me that this person wants 1shoot2kill ninjas, ha,and when he miss then fcuk it (i got my chance and i miss). Im a dedicated xbow men(eee.. wuman in game :P ), and im really pissed when some1 a layman treats me as the next shooter with 2h sword and a crossbow skil less than zero. I know that for a short distance crossbow is deadly but few can hit another player from the middle of the map. (Daveuk able to) me too ..: D
Therefore postulate the withdrawal of the separation slots for 1 / 2 slots xbow.
Or someone wants to play scorer, or not easy to pain ...
think on it .. Yours faithfully .. Black_Widow.

Offline Denam

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cyanide_Taffy, Is_This_Annoying, Tianyuan
Re: what do u think about (dedicated) xbow-men??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 07:46:14 pm »
After doing a gen as a Xbow I can understand the appeal of it. It's nice being able to one shot horses, and light armored players, but is is so boring for me. I tried to do a second generation of Xbow using a Masterwork Arbalest, but I found myself playing on my alts way more just because I was just not having fun anymore.

TL;DR

If you have the patience for it, good for you!

Offline mOus333

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 07:53:24 pm »
i have it. thats why i luv x-bow :P

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:17:54 pm »
So you want to make all xbows 2 slots, is that it ?
Anyway, saw you ingame (a wolves member), and you're indeed one of thoses few dedicated xbows, on eu.
Though... i did have some trouble reading you, i don't really care about weaker xbows being 2 slots. Only the normal crossbow needs 2 slots maybe.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:20:24 pm »
+1
I played a crossbowman before they got buffed to the OP proportions they are at now.
I must say, I don't like how powerful the class is at all. Neither do I like how their heirlooms are so insane that they can oneshot armoured people while having a closed crosshair all the time.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:27:24 pm »
Being a crossbow is rather simple and highly effective if you can land your shots. But the nature of crossbows lend themselves to hybrid builds. Even if your primary is crossbow, I would definitely suggest investing in some other weapon as well.

Also, please tell me English isn't your first language. I have sympathy for such grammar/spelling when you're still learning the language (my Japanese is around as bad), but too often native English speakers pop up without a proper grasp of the language they've been speaking since they learned how to speak

Offline mOus333

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 08:44:06 pm »
The only thing that irritates me is that now the mass of people use a crossbow as an option for ranged weapons .. My proposal is this. Crossbow occupies three slots.
think. crossbowman class only then becomes an option. we have a hammer that does not occupy slot. enough to defend against the enemy and pulls him into the main force. shooters have never been in the first line and never in this game will not. This will force upon us a greater co-operation with the infantry. And here is primarily about.

Offline mOus333

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 08:48:24 pm »

Also, please tell me English isn't your first language. I have sympathy for such grammar/spelling when you're still learning the language (my Japanese is around as bad), but too often native English speakers pop up without a proper grasp of the language they've been speaking since they learned how to speak
Indded . I dont know English language. but i assume that u got my point . 

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 09:13:35 pm »
I just don't get it.  It's amazing how quickly people bitch about the xbow.   Meanwhile the maul is totally skilless, the poleaxe has no down side, you can't walk 5 feet without tripping over a masterwork bec, and 2h tin cans win every single game.  Yet you can't even bring up "xbow" without the same faces jumping in to whine about them.  No one wins games with the xbow.  It's not even the best ranged class.  The archer is a significantly better dedicated ranged class and outperforms xbowers every game. 

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 09:14:25 pm »
A Dedicated Crossbowman is a massively situational class.  You qualify if you have over 150 in crossbow. 

It's performance is based on:

1:  The Weather.  Due to rain, the class is crippled one out of every two games.
2: The Map and Gametype.  A Crossbowman's ideal situation is a map and gametype that allows him to avoid melee, cavalry and have cover from archery the majority of the round.  This avoidance allows him to actually be a crossbowman, getting off a reasonable number of shots before getting ganked.

I must say, I don't like how powerful the class is at all. Neither do I like how their heirlooms are so insane that they can oneshot armoured people while having a closed crosshair all the time.
The damage is justified by the immense loading time and crippling equipment limitations.  You also exaggerate, the Arbalest does not one shot everyone and everything everytime.  It's damage is variable to a great degree, as per example, I was unable to one hit kill a naked archer in the chest at 20m on three separate attempts.  Yet a headshot under 10m on an Armet will kill two out of three times.
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 09:14:58 pm »
+1
I just don't get it.  It's amazing how quickly people bitch about the xbow.   Meanwhile the maul is totally skilless, the poleaxe has no down side, you can't walk 5 feet without tripping over a masterwork bec, and 2h tin cans win every single game.  Yet you can't even bring up "xbow" without the same faces jumping in to whine about them.  No one wins games with the xbow.  It's not even the best ranged class.  The archer is a significantly better dedicated ranged class and outperforms xbowers every game.

I wanted to upvote due to comments like the Bec, but downvote because you are comparing apples with oranges like the bow with the crossbow, or the "plate" winning every game...

:/
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 10:07:20 pm »
You also exaggerate, the Arbalest does not one shot everyone and everything everytime.
You never oneshot anyone, never.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 10:59:50 pm »
You never oneshot anyone, never.

Not true. In fact, the last time I was playing I got one shot by an arbalest on my 7 IF character, when I was wearing 40 body armor.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 05:41:36 am »
I wanted to upvote due to comments like the Bec, but downvote because you are comparing apples with oranges like the bow with the crossbow, or the "plate" winning every game...

:/

My point is, it's clear what classes dominate every game consistently with little variation.  No one complains about them but ranged classes that end games with 8 kills and 12 deaths need further nerfing so that the 36 kill 4 death spammer can get that to 40/2?   I've never seen a community totally ignore the classes that dominate every game so they can completely obliterate a class that's already on the edge of viability.  They already got throwing. 

And I think it's only reasonable to compare bows with xbows.  People seem to want to turn xbows into bows all the time.  They want an additional skill like power draw, they want to make xbows 5 slots so that it's impossible to hybrid while gimping the stats so that it's impossible to main. 

You've got to be unreasonably good to do well with the arbalest.  If you miss a shot you basically don't get a kill for a minute while you reload the thing.  If you can hit those shots so consistently then you're doing yourself a disservice by not just picking up a longbow.  I guarantee you'll get twice the kills in the same amount of time and you'll help your team more by having a much higher dps and a much more reasonable margin of error in terms of fire rate. 

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 06:32:46 am »
A Dedicated Crossbowman is a massively situational class.  You qualify if you have over 150 in crossbow. 

It's performance is based on:

1:  The Weather.  Due to rain, the class is crippled one out of every two games.
2: The Map and Gametype.  A Crossbowman's ideal situation is a map and gametype that allows him to avoid melee, cavalry and have cover from archery the majority of the round.  This avoidance allows him to actually be a crossbowman, getting off a reasonable number of shots before getting ganked.
The damage is justified by the immense loading time and crippling equipment limitations.  You also exaggerate, the Arbalest does not one shot everyone and everything everytime.  It's damage is variable to a great degree, as per example, I was unable to one hit kill a naked archer in the chest at 20m on three separate attempts.  Yet a headshot under 10m on an Armet will kill two out of three times.

This guy has it right.  How well I do I greatly affected by the map (and my knowledge of the sniping spots) and rain.  Dedicated xbow can be a real powerclass build if played correctly, it just has to be played with a bit more finesse. Where you place yourself on the battlefield is key, if you are crafty its easy to survive til the end of the round, popping off shots the whole time.  High athletics and the inclination to avoid melee helps as well.
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.