Author Topic: On Friendly Fire  (Read 288 times)

Offline runemaster

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vic_Rattlehead
On Friendly Fire
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:56:02 am »
With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Friendly fire is crucial to the game and to remove it is not reasonable.  However, a constant barrage of back-chops and not-so-friendly arrows can become quite irksome.  These occurrences are pervasive on the siege server I frequent.

The problem:

- Archers shoot into melee hoping for a lucky shot, without consequence.

- Cavalry units trample friends and foes alike with wanton abandon.

- Infantry thinks that quantity is a quality of it's own when it comes to swinging their swords in a crowd.

The solution:

- Add a 100% friendly fire mirror effect.  Every point of damage caused to a teammate will be reflected back to the person who caused it.

Accidents happen, and this effect would penalize people more for the legitimate accidents, but it's not that harsh of a punishment.  You may die and have to respawn or wait until the next round because of your mistake.

Conversely, I think the avoidable or careless FF would be greatly reduced, more than compensating for the effect of the extra punishment and resulting in a net increase in enjoyment of the game for all except the worst offenders, such as those who intentionally tk or tw to grief other players.

Yay or nay?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: On Friendly Fire
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:57:12 am »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline runemaster

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vic_Rattlehead
Re: On Friendly Fire
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:15:18 am »
Okay, I just read that thread and it covered it pretty well, thank you.

Frankly, it's probably not a great idea and a developer said no.  Back to the drawing board.