Author Topic: Good Lord So Many Feels  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
Re: Good Lord So Many Feels
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 10:09:45 pm »
+5
this little fuzz ball is going to make more money than I will in my entire life.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 10:37:56 pm »
+2
The Force Awakens was very disappointing, so my expectations are quite low. Rogue One was quite good though.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 10:45:47 pm »
+2
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:51:42 pm by Asheram »
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Beleg

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 300
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapıkulu
  • Game nicks: Beleg
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 12:37:12 am »
I'd consider Rogue One better than 'passable', but maybe that's just me.

And I struggle to understand what measurements people use when they say Episode 7 was bad, but Episodes 4 - 6 were good. I'd understand if someone just didn't think the cheesy 'adventure' style movies where protagonists are usually bullet-proof were at all to their tastes, or if they  acknowledge that the films are not high art in any form xD But if you find the original films enjoyable I don't see how Episode 7 falls short, they're very much cut from the same cloth.
That's the problem though, making pretty much the same thing after 30 years is a little underwhelming.Perhaps, Force awakens wouldn't be that dissapointing it was a standalone film. but as it is, it's a 2h long "lack of imagination".
Oh and its Gnjusoğlu Saracoğlu, you illiterate goat-shagging baklava-eater.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 01:20:09 am »
Rogue One was much better than Force Awakens and it saddens me that they both couldn't be good.

Rogue One wasn't a super mature movie but in comparison to the regular star war movies it was. The good guys don't all make it out, there is a lot of sacrifices made and the story was more interesting. Granted its still a star wars movie and stuff happens that is out of place or only would occur in a movie but its still better than Force Awakens because the story demanded that sacrifices be made. And they didn't shy away from that by making it so nameless characters or characters you've only seen once were the ones that did it.

And yeah watching the Force Awakens and having a cheat sheet of the original trilogy would have told you exactly what was going to occur in the movie. Just.. sad. New characters, new names, same story. If they do a better job with the next 2 movies and move the story along a different path, awesome. They just might do that and there's room for it but I don't know if they will in any meaningful way.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 01:33:39 am »
+4
Rogue One was much better than Force Awakens and it saddens me that they both couldn't be good.

Rogue One wasn't a super mature movie but in comparison to the regular star war movies it was. The good guys don't all make it out, there is a lot of sacrifices made and the story was more interesting. Granted its still a star wars movie and stuff happens that is out of place or only would occur in a movie but its still better than Force Awakens because the story demanded that sacrifices be made. And they didn't shy away from that by making it so nameless characters or characters you've only seen once were the ones that did it.

And yeah watching the Force Awakens and having a cheat sheet of the original trilogy would have told you exactly what was going to occur in the movie. Just.. sad. New characters, new names, same story. If they do a better job with the next 2 movies and move the story along a different path, awesome. They just might do that and there's room for it but I don't know if they will in any meaningful way.
Its because Rogue One had Donnie Yen  :P visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 02:13:36 am »
+2
Its because Rogue One had Donnie Yen  :P visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Very true. The jedi that wasn't a jedi.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 09:21:04 am »
Professionally trained soldiers alright, standing behind their target, isn't laser supposed to be strong enough to penetrate? Though it never really has in any movies etc.

Offline Beleg

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 300
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapıkulu
  • Game nicks: Beleg
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 09:44:59 am »
Change Donnie Yen's catch phrase to "allahu akbar" and you got yourself a picture perfect isis henchman. stay WOKE
Oh and its Gnjusoğlu Saracoğlu, you illiterate goat-shagging baklava-eater.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 10:06:43 am »
+1
I want Kyle Katarn to be canon reeeeeee

(click to show/hide)

Trailer looks alright, spoilers a bit too much imo. I won't think that much about it until I've seen it

it's time to show these disney cucks who the real man is

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 10:58:29 am »
I HATE WOMEN
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 11:17:22 am »
+1
Professionally trained soldiers alright, standing behind their target, isn't laser supposed to be strong enough to penetrate? Though it never really has in any movies etc.

Stormtroopers are always doing stupid shit, but hey it looked cool in the movies, they also probably didn't expect getting their arses kicked by a blind guy armed with a stick.

But they aren't actually "lasers" all the guns that fire those "laser" looking projectiles are called Blasters. As far as I remember reading, they fire bolts of energized gas, so like plasma or something, they explode on impact with varying degrees of damage. I know it's something along those lines anyway, I am sure there are more nerdy words out there for it.

And on Rogue One, it is one of the best Star Wars movies made, I don't care what anyone says, it's an awesome movie overall and it had the most epic fucking ending. I watched it twice at the Cinema, once with a friend so I could enjoy it myself and judge if I think my Son would actually watch it all, then again with my Son who is a Star Wars fan and yes he did enjoy it, he almost shat his pants in excitement at the ending when Vader fucks shit up.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:20:44 am by Leesin »

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 12:22:54 pm »
+2
Stormtroopers are always doing stupid shit, but hey it looked cool in the movies, they also probably didn't expect getting their arses kicked by a blind guy armed with a stick.

But they aren't actually "lasers" all the guns that fire those "laser" looking projectiles are called Blasters. As far as I remember reading, they fire bolts of energized gas, so like plasma or something, they explode on impact with varying degrees of damage. I know it's something along those lines anyway, I am sure there are more nerdy words out there for it.

And on Rogue One, it is one of the best Star Wars movies made, I don't care what anyone says, it's an awesome movie overall and it had the most epic fucking ending. I watched it twice at the Cinema, once with a friend so I could enjoy it myself and judge if I think my Son would actually watch it all, then again with my Son who is a Star Wars fan and yes he did enjoy it, he almost shat his pants in excitement at the ending when Vader fucks shit up.

pretty much this.  I suspect anyone who shits on rogue one just having a boner for contrarianism,  or somehow was in a weird mood when watching the movie,  as that can fuck up the xp as well.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 04:42:02 pm »
pretty much this.  I suspect anyone who shits on rogue one just having a boner for contrarianism,  or somehow was in a weird mood when watching the movie,  as that can fuck up the xp as well.

Tbh I enjoyed Rogue One, but I still think that it's fairly overrated as it's little more than an hour and a half of exposition for characters that ultimately we barely care about (except for the droid, he rocked) and a final half hour of an epic action sequence. Don't get me wrong, the payoff is almost worth sitting through the first 3/4 of the movie, but during my second viewing I found my mind wandering endlessly as I really just didn't give a damn about the stereotypical backstories of all the characters. You could have shown me just the last half hour and I'd probably had been able to describe the characters as well as anyone who had watched the first part. Blind karate master monk? Check. His non-believer companion? Check. Han solo knockoff? Check.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 06:13:47 pm »
(click to show/hide)

It's definitely a hard task to make the audience care about doomed characters without making them feel like they've simply wasted their time learning about them. A movie that does that well would be saving private ryan imo. Maybe it was just the manner in which the characters were introduced that made it feel more authentic? In saving private ryan, you know why everyone is there, they got drafted to fight in ww2. Therefore, you learn about their personalities and backstories through more natural interactions. In rogue one you have these different people all sort of shoehorned into the plot, fighting on the same side for vastly different reasons. The movie almost spends as much time justifying their presence and reason for fighting as it does actually expanding on their character.  I will agree though, that the movie did wonders for the empire/death star. I almost wish they had focused on the empire's side more so than the ragtag rebel team. Maybe it would have been an easier task if you had a team of rebel soldiers that you follow from the get-go, as opposed to introducing different stereotypes along the way. I realize that it is still a star wars movie, so focusing on ONLY mundane soldiers, and nothing more mythical is a little too different of a direction for them, but since it seems like they were going for a "realistic" war movie, that would have been the better alternative, imo.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:16:54 pm by Jona »

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador