Author Topic: Repair and Throwing Weapons  (Read 722 times)

Offline Maiev

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Repair and Throwing Weapons
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:07:09 am »
Using 3 heavy throwing axes = 15k upkeep for 12 ammo weapon (that can double as a 1hander)
Using 1 good 1h weapon = 5-10k
Using 1 good 2h weapon = 7.5k-15k
Add in a shield (which 2h don't use), and throwing axes (or any throwing weapon) are horribly inefficient for their upkeep cost. I can at most get 3 kills with 12 throwing axes, and that's if my 150 throwing skill is enough to land the axes where I want (which is not often).

Suggestion:

Increase ammo per throwing axe (and other throwing weapons)
OR
Add diminishing returns on upkeep for throwing weapons (1x throwing weapon = 100% cost (5k), 2x of same throwing weapon = 50% cost of second throwing weapon (so the total repair worth for 2 slots of heavy throwing axes are equal to 7.5k), 3x of same throwing weapon = 25% cost of third throwing weapon (so the total worth of 3 throwing weapons is 8.75k)) this method is a little convoluted but I think would be best, as it would reward "pure" users of throwing weapons (like me) and not make them so expensive to maintain

Because as it stands, I'm stuck using 3x Francisca + a shield because that's all I can afford, unless I get a really lucky 5x streak. I'm considering switching over to just using a decent 2h weapon - because that kind of play is being hugely rewarded with the cheapest repair costs.

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
Re: Repair and Throwing Weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 02:23:16 am »
Throwing is a little overpowered as it is. I'm saying this as a thrower myself, but throwing became the new archery - javelins and axes flying around everywhere.
It's pretty nice for me actually: even if I'm out of ammo, I can loot plenty from the ground.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline Maiev

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 04:39:36 am »
Throwing is a little overpowered as it is. I'm saying this as a thrower myself, but throwing became the new archery - javelins and axes flying around everywhere.
It's pretty nice for me actually: even if I'm out of ammo, I can loot plenty from the ground.

Yes, this has actually become my primary strategy. I'm giving up throwing axes. I'm thinking of getting 100 wpf in 1h/2h and throwing. I'll get decent armor and a shield, then just rely on looting weapons. It's just too expensive to upkeep my own weapons, I'll just cannibalize off my allies.

However, I don't know if throwing weapons are overpowered... knives/ninja stars don't even seem to hurt me (I rarely get hit by those anyway). Throwing axes... it takes at least 6 solid hits to break a medium shield, maybe something around 10 to break one of those heavy shields. And that's only if they're moving up a ladder or down a narrow corridor. In the open field, it's amazingly difficult to get a good shot. Javelins/Throwing Lances, I don't have any experience with, but I only get one shot by those if they hit me in the head (which can't be easy).

Archers are much better from far away, but most people know how to deal with them from medium/close range.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:42:48 am by Maiev »

Offline Mustikki

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:37:22 pm »
Strange, i find it pretty easy to hit with throwing stuff and i got only 100 wpf. Also the damage... 2 javelins for most of the people except plate users to crap a kill.

Upkeep: i can use 3x javelins + poleaxe + mail gear while still doing profit. Though i'm already a 28lv.