Author Topic: Goodbye my friends  (Read 20773 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye my friends
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2016, 02:21:22 pm »
+2
just please not OINK!!!!  :mrgreen:

lol

People just blame Krems, but think banner balance is what drove casuals away.

Without banner balance, the clan-oriented people were being driven away for the same reasons.
Banner balance is a feature that pleased them, displeased others; thats often what game features does, cant please everyone.

To say that "admins" being in some of the most popular clans are guilty of a game feature is all kind of stupid  :P
There was tons and tons of clans that rivaled with each others, it was actually one of the major reasons to play the game for a time: to have a clan that can dominate.

I was in a clan that wasnt able to dominate, but we had some good times. We were middle tier in that aspect.
When I couldnt have multi for a long time, it was as much because of randomness that because of banner balance (that was also semi-random). Not to forget there was the valor to aim for.

I think banner balance was a great idea, it simply suffered when the community dwindled and big clans appeared. And at that moment there was not 3000 active players...  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:33:34 pm by Butan »

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2016, 03:55:15 pm »
+3
It was banner balance, lack of patching, bad maps, Krems and broken launcher.

I also kinda feel like balance based on class type would've been a good idea.

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems (Founder)
  • Game nicks: Eberhart & Juta von Krems
  • IRC nick: Dan
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2016, 04:09:20 pm »
It was banner balance, lack of patching, bad maps, Krems and broken launcher.

I also kinda feel like balance based on class type would've been a good idea.

I think you are missing the main reason, the game is 6 fucking years old! To play the same game, same maps, same players, same style, same game objectives, same everything for that length of time without getting bored in the end is pretty much impossible for most people.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2016, 04:17:23 pm »
+3
Tell that to World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike, TF2, Call of Duty, FIFA and all the other sports games, Battlefield 3 is 5 years old and basically the same as BF4, AOE2 still gets thousands of players a day as does Warband itself. Napoleonic Wars still has plenty of players, Mercenaries does as well.

I don't think age is so much of an issue here as changes making people leave and stopping new people from playing.

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2016, 04:45:30 pm »
Tell that to World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike, TF2, Call of Duty, FIFA and all the other sports games, Battlefield 3 is 5 years old and basically the same as BF4, AOE2 still gets thousands of players a day as does Warband itself. Napoleonic Wars still has plenty of players, Mercenaries does as well.

I don't think age is so much of an issue here as changes making people leave and stopping new people from playing.

Sorry man that's a complete rubbish statement.

A lot of those games listed are series where they are updated every year or so. Example: I'm pretty sure no one is still playing FIFA11 (released the same year as cRPG) anymore but loads are playing FIFA16 (Released this year) Also they are all mainstream games with a super large player base with hundreds of thousands of players to start with, if they lose 5000 players it will hardly be noticed, cRPG only had a couple of thousand max to start with.

As for Napoleonic Wars, well that was a complete different era than the original Warband and released a year and half after cRPG, see how many players it still has in a year and halfs time.

As for Mercenaries, I think its just a phase. cRPG has always been bigger and Mercenaries is just having a boom, there is nothing to suggest it will remain like that for a long period of time.

Take a look through this list and let me know out of all these games how many are still popular (or better still have really popular mods today)

http://www.allpcgame.net/2010/01/list-of-all-pc-games-released-in-2010.html

I'm pretty sure it will only be a very small fraction. I wonder if Krems killed all of those too?  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:50:06 pm by zottlmarsch »

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2016, 04:51:39 pm »
+4
Then that was a problem. I've mentioned a lack of patching, maybe lack was the wrong word and the wrong focus within the patching was?

Do something drastic. Remove XP, make gold gained by kills, make respecs cost money, make everyone a set level regardless. Only thing that differentiates older players and newer players are looms.

So what if they're big games? Look at The Divison, it's had a 93% player dropoff since release. Yeah CRPG had less to start with but you've got to sustain it in some way, that's how Counter Strike is basically the same game as it was in 2000, same with COD back in 2007. They've had revisions and whatever, so has CRPG, changing to ticks, the high level patch.

Warband has 7000 people on right now. Why is it CRPG is getting less than 1% of this when 3 years ago it was the most popular mod around?

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2016, 04:58:58 pm »
+2
And as I've said. Remove the grind.

I didn't say Krems killed the mod but there was a time when they killed it for me. I barely played it for 4 months or so because every time I joined they were fucking about. It's not so bad at the moment as I've said but they stopped me from playing for a time, that's for sure and I highly doubt I was the only one.

It played a part but definitely was not the only factor.

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2016, 05:16:01 pm »
And as I've said. Remove the grind.

I didn't say Krems killed the mod but there was a time when they killed it for me. I barely played it for 4 months or so because every time I joined they were fucking about. It's not so bad at the moment as I've said but they stopped me from playing for a time, that's for sure and I highly doubt I was the only one.

It played a part but definitely was not the only factor.

Yea, but the Krems thing was only an issue because of all the previous issues that preceded it. I mean if you logged in back in 2011, when everything was nicely balanced, there were 120 people in the server, 3-4 admins on changing to good maps and everyone was having fun, i'm guessing a few Krems guys messing around wouldn't have bothered you in the slightest.

But because for the last year cRPG has been pretty broken, Krems is just like the Straw that broke the camels (your) back.  :P
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:25:46 pm by zottlmarsch »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2207
  • Infamy: 2263
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2016, 01:35:27 am »
+3
Without banner balance, the clan-oriented people were being driven away for the same reasons.

We don't know that. For the record, servers were full before banner balance was implemented.

To say that "admins" being in some of the most popular clans are guilty of a game feature is all kind of stupid  :P
There was tons and tons of clans that rivaled with each others, it was actually one of the major reasons to play the game for a time: to have a clan that can dominate.

That is true. But ambition turned into cancer, that ate this mod alive. Strategus was meant to be playground for clans. Sadly, some clans couldn't keep with Russian dominance in Strategus, so they changed their goals to making pub life miserable. They know who they are, and nope, Krems are not among them.

I strongly believe that Krems was meant to be an antidote against huge clans mergers and give casuals a chance to fight them.

I think you are missing the main reason, the game is 6 fucking years old! To play the same game, same maps, same players, same style, same game objectives, same everything for that length of time without getting bored in the end is pretty much impossible for most people.

That's funny, because I'm saying how this game/mod is old since 2012 :lol: Probably around that time used 'mod ez ded' for the first time and wasn't among first people to do that. Melee Battlegrounds dates from same year (2012).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 01:51:15 am by Leshma »

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2018, 09:24:47 pm »
Solely and exclusively Krems, clearly.

Like 2 months until OKAM Early Access, and hopefully Early Access/Beta of Bannerlord this Autumn/Fall/whatever. Was going to play the other night, but saw the character I wanted to play had recently retired. Why the fuck would I want to grind in a game like this when games like OKAM and Bannerlord are so close?
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die