Poll

Are destriers too expensive in Strategus 5?

Yes
23 (31.1%)
No
23 (31.1%)
loog at me dad im gay :DDDDD
28 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Does anyone else think horse price scaled too hard?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
Re: Does anyone else think horse price scaled too hard?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 08:16:22 pm »
+1
just assign shitty/excess gear to level 11 or 0, I forget which

11, 0 is default (everyone can use it)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 08:29:57 pm »
+1

You'd rather have one destrier or 60 people in plate armor?  There is a right and wrong answer here, and it's glaringly obvious. 

Embellishing a bit?  More like 50 destriers or 65 plate armor.  Both have their advantages and real tradeoffs.  personally i would do 25 destriers, 75 rouncies, and 100 mid-tier armor for them instead for the same amount and then assign who can use the destriers.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 08:32:32 pm »
+3
I just want to point out that there's a good chance I wouldn't have made this thread if the rouncey was actually worth more than a really greasy wet fart. As things stand, the rouncey has been a pretty rough horse to use ever since whenever it was like 8 months ago when the charge/bump/whatever mechanic was changed. Since then you are IMMENSELY LUCKY if you can use a rouncey to knock down two people, even if theres a few feet between them and you hit the first one at the maximum speed your horse can have.

It is just immensely frustrating as a cavalry player when the horse you are using comes to a complete stop and your life is over just because you incidentally struck a second player. If the rouncey got a very slight buff to charge, just enough to fix this issue, I would be satisfied. My problem isn't that the affordable horses will be easy to kill or slow, my problem is that they cannot even do what I think horses are intended to do.

@Keshian, I think cracka is just really, really bad at math and that he didn't mean to embellish. It's just that he is not good at math.

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 08:42:03 pm »
I just want to point out that there's a good chance I wouldn't have made this thread if the rouncey was actually worth more than a really greasy wet fart. As things stand, the rouncey has been a pretty rough horse to use ever since whenever it was like 8 months ago when the charge/bump/whatever mechanic was changed. Since then you are IMMENSELY LUCKY if you can use a rouncey to knock down two people, even if theres a few feet between them and you hit the first one at the maximum speed your horse can have.

It is just immensely frustrating as a cavalry player when the horse you are using comes to a complete stop and your life is over just because you incidentally struck a second player. If the rouncey got a very slight buff to charge, just enough to fix this issue, I would be satisfied. My problem isn't that the affordable horses will be easy to kill or slow, my problem is that they cannot even do what I think horses are intended to do.

@Keshian, I think cracka is just really, really bad at math and that he didn't mean to embellish. It's just that he is not good at math.

you can hold a couched great lance on it right? :P
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 09:47:26 pm »
Embellishing a bit?  More like 50 destriers or 65 plate armor.  Both have their advantages and real tradeoffs.  personally i would do 25 destriers, 75 rouncies, and 100 mid-tier armor for them instead for the same amount and then assign who can use the destriers.

I'm not the one embellishing, I said I wasn't in a fief so I didn't see the prices in a previous post, I'm taking the OP's word for it.

Dear diary, today OP was a f...

That being said, I am really really bad at math, but I can still do the basic maths...

A destrier alone is 2,150 silver. That's as much as 60+ armor loomed plate.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 09:56:32 pm »
+2
you can hold a couched great lance on it right? :P

Yes.  For shit damage and never being to couch up the slightest incline.  The couching nerfs are going to show the most here, all because someone thinks the fastest horse shouldn't be able to one hit kill couch.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 10:29:45 pm »
+1
To avoid more derping I decided to post this to help the discussion:

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 10:34:02 pm »
+3
Price are fine, and people are bad at math... deal with it!  8-)
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 10:58:25 pm »
Price are fine, and people are bad at math... deal with it!  8-)

Sadly you don't play cav, nor understand what those prices mean.

Destrier is the "effective" equivalence of a mid tier medium armor, rouncey the equivalent of a upper light, and anything past large goes into "plate" equivalent.

You can only bump 1 person with a rouncey unless it's loomed and you have 7 rinding in which case you can, if lucky, get 2 bumps. Just yesterday, I reared a ROUNCEY in peltastos armor, taking NO damage just by getting BUMPED right after the first guy. That's why Destrier are the "mainline" horse. Bumping is pathetic on anything below that...

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 11:03:41 pm »
+1
Yeah prices seem fine to me (compared to the price of armor).  They might be a little expensive...but we'll see.

Anders, this does suck for cav (like myself) but you can't compare "medium horse value" vs "medium armor value".  It's apples and oranges.  A destrier should be worth heavy mail/light plate armor. 

You are right about anything less than destrier's charge values (even destrier can suck if you run into more than 2 people in a row at full speed).  Cavalry will just have to be "light cavalry" and be relegated to back stabbing stragglers, protecting flags, or dinking around with enemy cavalry (aka being useless together!)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:07:11 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 11:45:26 pm »
+1
Wait a sec, are you talking about how you feel in game or when you look at a roster you think"he's good but he's only cav"?

In terms of effectiveness I think that cav are the make or break point in a field battle.

No, cavalry are very effective in field battles, it's just very rare that it's the work of the cavalry that makes or breaks a battle. Getting the best infantry (and decent tactics) is by far the most important from my experience in strategus.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 11:54:15 pm »
+2
Well than NA varies from EU immensely. For example: no matter how well you guard your forward spawn and how well you place it Internet explorer will get it and a battle is pretty much over without a forward spawn. Also how people like develuze are more than able to get 100+ kills.

In EU I have gotten top kills many times, although, most of the top scores were when I fought for the conquorers.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:01:42 am by Jack1 »
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.