Author Topic: Why nerf Heavy Throwing Axes? Tweak the stat change or go back to 3 ammo.  (Read 6752 times)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
Re: Why nerf Heavy Throwing Axes? Tweak the stat change or go back to 3 ammo.
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2013, 06:50:53 pm »
:arrow: Make HTA 3 ammo again.
That would make Throwing Axes useless again. So unless we give TA and Franciscas +1 ammo too, it wouldn't "fix" anything.

Although considering the pierce throwing weapons are all 3 (or 4) ammo, it wouldn't be that bad for internal throwing balance.

Personally, I would rather have them become better melee weapons. Just making the model a bit longer (70 as normal 1h axes) so they have more reach in melee would suddenly give them an even better niche as "throwing weapons that are slightly UP compared to the others, but actually have a good melee to make up for it". Would have to increase the price then, too.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Mendro

• Count
  • Renown: 236
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2013, 06:59:36 pm »
+3
People juste want same balance between HTA and jarids.
It's two different way of aiming as thrower and people choose Fransisca/ TA /HTA or jarids/javelins depending of their feeling. But now HTA are weaker than jarids, they have to deal with jarids and it's not fun for them.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:02:28 am by Mendro »

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2013, 07:07:02 pm »
+1
People juste want seem balance between HTA and jarids.
It's two different way of aiming as thrower and people choose Fransisca/ TA /HTA or jarids/javelins depending of their feeling. But now HTA are  weaker than jarids they have to deal with jarids, and it's not fun for them.

This. HTA vs. Jarid is mortar vs. howitzer; just different styles that people prefer. I like the axe "playstyle" of tossing over crowds, switching to melee mode, etc, but I use Jarids because HTA don't do enough damage per stack to warrant the slot usage and upkeep.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2013, 02:17:59 am »
Maybe they should make it like the throwing lance of spears and just make it a 6 PD requirement and change it's ammo back to normal.

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2013, 03:35:51 am »
HTAs are a better short range throwing weapon than Jarids.  They are easier to hit, and drop quicker.  That's actually much more useful in Battle or Siege, but not so great in Strategus when everyone has Pikes and more standardized armors.  So they certainly had some variation in filling needs before, and if nerfs weren't made so hastily before seeing how they played out in Strategus.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2013, 05:00:20 pm »
Damage per stack, based on 100 effective throwing wpf, 6 power throw, and 18 str, against 50 armor (typical cRPG player):

Francisca: 44
Throwing Axe: 48
Heavy Throwing Axe: 42

War Darts: 84
Javelins: 64
Jarid: 83
Throwing Spear: 97

The axe line is a joke compared to the spear line. I know axes have a few advantage over jarids (better melee mode, slightly faster, more favorable hitbox), but these minor advantages don't outweigh the fact that they do HALF as much damage as Jarids, with significantly shorter effective range.

The devs wanted variety? Well, before the ammo nerf, people only used HTA and Jarids/spears. Now they only use Jarids/spears. If the objective was increased diversity, it was not met.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2013, 08:08:13 pm »
Increase melee swing speed by 2 and maybe damage by 1 for throwing axe types and we're all set I think. 

My two cents.

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2013, 12:39:47 am »
Poopy weapon now. If you're going to nerf a weapon based on how regularly it is used, why hasn't Longsword been nerfed? I loved those axes

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2013, 02:00:23 am »
As always the devs have a bias against throwing and when they do anything in relation to it, whatever their intention was it only adds up to a nerf.

Before the nerf to throwing axes the only other changes I can recall were nerfing throwing rocks and adding throwing hammers, a weapon that nobody will ever use until there are four in a stack or they want to roleplay as minor enemy characters from Mario Bros.

Throbros have been vigilant on these forums but I tell you the devs simply won't listen. I'd say try to get in touch with them directly via private message or in the IRC room