Author Topic: Bow and missile speed  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Tybal

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • I live... again!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tybal, Rafesan
  • IRC nick: Tybal
Re: Bow and missile speed
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 04:42:03 pm »
first off thanks for all the awesome input especially XyNox!

however all this made me wonder which build/item setup would be the most viable if you wanted to go for hybrid with the goal of being able to meele effectively, not only defensively.
of course any hybrid build will never be as good in meele or ranged as a dedicated build i get that, in addition there are limitations of gold upkeep, additions in weight and the complete lack of any lp (in my case)

from that standpoint would it even make a whole lot of sense to even go for bows specifically for hybrid ? or is xbow a more solid choice for that. throwing seems to be hard to pull off since the range is quite limited.

also 1h/2h/pole/shield ?
armor weight/cost achievable ?

im not looking for a definite answer, im just curious about opinions :)

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wales
  • Game nicks: Sharpe, Llewllyn
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 09:00:29 pm »
+1
Ive always found that an 18/21 build is best, specially with a longbow 2 packs of arrows and a broad short sword.

The build statwise looks like this at lvl 30

18 str
21 agi

6 PS
6 PD
7WM
4 ATH

159 Archery
50 1h

In all honesty a hybrid xbowmen is better, because you dont have to put points into Power Draw thus freeing up points for things like Ironflesh or Athletics.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 10:53:13 pm »
+1
I'm trying a hybrid 15/24 build at the moment (at lvl 30):

5 PD
5 PS
5 ATH
8 WM

160 archery
86 1h

Using bow/tatar bow

But I don't rate it; wouldn't do again.

I'd stick to the 18/21 for hybrid (tending to archer). And agree with Sharpe, xbow is way better for hybrid option. You can get away with spending a bit less on WM too I think with an xbow build.

18/18 is a valid build, if you want to try and get away with fewer WM points to put into IF or PS. Personally I prefer more than 150WPF in bow.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:57:04 pm by landscribe »
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 04:29:27 pm »
+1
first off thanks for all the awesome input especially XyNox!

however all this made me wonder which build/item setup would be the most viable if you wanted to go for hybrid with the goal of being able to meele effectively, not only defensively.
of course any hybrid build will never be as good in meele or ranged as a dedicated build i get that, in addition there are limitations of gold upkeep, additions in weight and the complete lack of any lp (in my case)

from that standpoint would it even make a whole lot of sense to even go for bows specifically for hybrid ? or is xbow a more solid choice for that. throwing seems to be hard to pull off since the range is quite limited.

also 1h/2h/pole/shield ?
armor weight/cost achievable ?

im not looking for a definite answer, im just curious about opinions :)

What ZeSharpe said, xbow hybrid is generally a lot more cost-effective than bow hybrids. Since xbows dont need any skillpoint requirement, they have more points to put into ps, ath or wm. They also can maintain ranged efficiency with higher armor values and lower base wpf levels.

Personally I dont like xbows so I stick with bows. The problem with archer hybrids is that archery on its own already eats A LOT of wpf in order to get useful on anything other than close range. On top of that, many gameplay mechanics make melee capability harder to reach for archers than any other class.

- Armor decreases your archery wpf resulting in less drawspeed, accuracy and a bit of damage. As a hybrid, you will already have less archery wpf than usual so you cant really afford to lose any more, which means low armor weight is a must.

- Quiver weight will slow you down quite a lot at 10 kg per quiver. Even though you dont carry enough armor to survive a single hit in most cases, a pure melee with medium to high armor might run faster than you. Dropping your bow before entering melee combat is advised if you have the time to do so.

- With a lot of wpf needed for your bow and melee weapon you are basicly stuck with agi-focused builds only as you need the agi to get enough WM. Going higher than 18 str is not recommended IMO for any archer build. Without the luxury of passive HP due to str or points in IF, you will die fast.

So in the end you will have a build that is not very mobile despite having good ath due to quiver weight, not very tough due to armor restrictions and the lack of IF and STR, not the most accurate in ranged and not very fast in melee due to the need of splitting your wpf. To kill the standard, armored, pure melee with your archer hybrid build, you will probably have to put 4 times the effort into it than he has to do. If you have the skill to handle those downsides, sure go hybrid but if you are looking for more efficiency, go pure.

My build is 18/21 atm, 6 ps 6 pd 7ath 7wm 93 1h wpf and 148 archery wpf and I am using a MW arabian guard sword and a nomad bow most of the time ( arrows bodkins or tatars depending on the armor values I enounter ). With this build I wouldnt think about touching a long bow as it is way too slow and inaccurate with 148 wpf for me. I notice that my archery wpf is a bit too low for long range shots, even with fast bows but I dont want to get any less melee wpf either so I think it is as ballanced as it can get for my playstyle. The goal is 18/24 at high level of course since it is the unchallenged king of all archer builds.

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
Archer forever :D