Author Topic: Bow and missile speed  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Tybal

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • I live... again!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tybal, Rafesan
  • IRC nick: Tybal
Bow and missile speed
« on: August 27, 2013, 08:54:07 pm »
so i have been playing a hybrid archer for a while now and tried out several bows and noticed a somewhat extreme difference in the missile speed between bows which made me wonder, are the bigger bows really worth it ? i ve been running around with the horn bow and its hard to hit anything at far range because A) slow missile speed makes it hard to guestimate where target will be when the arrow hits and B) they are much more inaccurate.
so far i ve had much much more success with using lower bows because targets cant dodge as easy and they are more accurate to begin with. am i missing something here ? is there something else that affects missile speed except the inherent value on the bow ? i have only 142 in archery but afaik that would not increase missile speed either or does it ? i know masterwork increases the speed by a little bit but is that all there is to it ?

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wales
  • Game nicks: Sharpe, Llewllyn
Re: Bow and missile speed
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:36:47 pm »
+2
Well first off lets start with this.

Whats your build as a hybrid archer?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline Tybal

• Peasant
  • I live... again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:44:15 pm »
i dont see how your reply relates to the question of which stats affect missile speed, however i am using the 18/18 build from the solid builds thread going for a little bit 2h skill and rest to archery

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 02:08:45 pm »
+5
Power draw increases missile speed.

actual_shot_speed_in_m_per_s=item_shoot_speed*sqrt((min(power_draw, bow_difficulty+4)*0.12)+1.0)*1.2

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 07:49:45 pm »
Shooting on long distance is not so easy, but it's possible to shoot ppl on really long distances. It's easier to shoot at medium and long range with 160+ wpf in archery, but you also have to remember that dmg is decreasing with distance.
Long range shooting needs a lot  of practise. Happy shooting :mrgreen:
Archer forever :D

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 11:19:32 pm »

actual_shot_speed_in_m_per_s=item_shoot_speed*sqrt((min(power_draw, bow_difficulty+4)*0.12)+1.0)*1.2

Hmmm... good to know.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 02:48:35 am »
With the weaker bows, it gets to the point where shots only annoy tin cans with staggers unless you are using bodkins.

I was wondering what the formula for that was.

Does shot speed get effected by rain?

Is the formula significantly different for throwing?

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 09:12:23 am »
Rain affect dmg, and probably missile speed also, but  some dev have to confirm that
Archer forever :D

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 11:49:29 am »
Almost same formular for throwing but without the capping at +4 difficulty. Rain does lower shot speed afaik.

shoot_speed * sqrt((PT * 0.1) + 1.0) * 1.2

Offline Tybal

• Peasant
  • I live... again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 11:53:59 am »

thx for that formula, for some reason i could not find this in the other threads on the forum.

i dont have anything to do with mathematics professionally, but as i understand the term after sqrt means its either power draw OR bow difficulty+4 whichever is higher ? or whichever is lower ? so would this mean for instance if i were to use a longbow with power draw 6 it would use 5+4=9 or 6 (and then the rest). so in effect is this a cap for the missile speed bonus from power draw or is it a minimum missile speed?

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 11:56:41 am »
thx for that formula, for some reason i could not find this in the other threads on the forum.

i dont have anything to do with mathematics professionally, but as i understand the term after sqrt means its either power draw OR bow difficulty+4 whichever is higher ? or whichever is lower ? so would this mean for instance if i were to use a longbow with power draw 6 it would use 5+4=9 or 6 (and then the rest). so in effect is this a cap for the missile speed bonus from power draw or is it a minimum missile speed?
No, the point is that your effective powerdraw skill level (used for damage calculation) cannot be more than 4 above the bow difficulty. So if you use the short bow (difficulty 1) with 6 Power Draw, the damage would calculate as if you only had 5 power draw (1 + 4).

Offline Tybal

• Peasant
  • I live... again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 12:03:42 pm »
yeah i know that about power draw and its cap to dmg, but i thought this formula was specifically about missile speed and not about damage. or are you saying that the same cap applies for missile speed too ? so that the maximum bonus to missile speed is also capped.

EDIT: i must have missed pauls last post, now that he mentioned its a cap its clear to me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:06:45 pm by Tybal »

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 01:04:46 pm »
+1
To answer your question Tybal, your observations are correct. Since the last patch, low tier bows have a higher missile speed than high tier bows ( prior to the patch it was the other way round ). A low tier bow will make hitting targets easier at the expense of damage.

Also low tier bows have faster draw speed, which - regardless of their accuracy value - lets you reach the "optimum accuracy window" faster than slower bows, which effectively gives them more accuracy than high tier bows at lower wpf levels, or to put it differently: If you dont have enough wpf, you wont be able to draw a big bow fast enough before your cone of fire starts enlarging.

That said, a pure archer build ( e.g. 18/24 with 8 wm and 170+ archery wpf ) can shoot a longbow just as accurately as your build is able to shoot a nomad bow, or even more accurately. However, this excellent shooting capability of such a particular build comes at the expense of almost no melee capability in terms of melee wpf and powerstrike ( as long as you are not high lvl ).

In conclusion, a skilled archer with a pure archer build will probably do better with a hard hitting bow since the chance of getting one-hit-kills with headshots is a lot bigger with a longbow instead of a nomad or horn bow. But in the end there is no wrong or right bow. I myself am using a nomad bow almost exclusively since the patch because it works really well for hybrids. You pretty much rely on getting multiple headshots to kill anything in armour but in turn are not forced to pump tons of wpf in archery in order to anything or drawing faster than a snail.

Offline Jeraz

• Baron
  • Renown: 86
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Woodland
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 02:58:17 pm »
To answer your question Tybal, your observations are correct. Since the last patch, low tier bows have a higher missile speed than high tier bows ( prior to the patch it was the other way round ). A low tier bow will make hitting targets easier at the expense of damage.

Also low tier bows have faster draw speed, which - regardless of their accuracy value - lets you reach the "optimum accuracy window" faster than slower bows, which effectively gives them more accuracy than high tier bows at lower wpf levels, or to put it differently: If you dont have enough wpf, you wont be able to draw a big bow fast enough before your cone of fire starts enlarging.

That said, a pure archer build ( e.g. 18/24 with 8 wm and 170+ archery wpf ) can shoot a longbow just as accurately as your build is able to shoot a nomad bow, or even more accurately. However, this excellent shooting capability of such a particular build comes at the expense of almost no melee capability in terms of melee wpf and powerstrike ( as long as you are not high lvl ).

In conclusion, a skilled archer with a pure archer build will probably do better with a hard hitting bow since the chance of getting one-hit-kills with headshots is a lot bigger with a longbow instead of a nomad or horn bow. But in the end there is no wrong or right bow. I myself am using a nomad bow almost exclusively since the patch because it works really well for hybrids. You pretty much rely on getting multiple headshots to kill anything in armour but in turn are not forced to pump tons of wpf in archery in order to anything or drawing faster than a snail.

What he said, if i where you i would not get annything ells then a hornbow or nomad bow. (Before the patch only hornbow was viable in my opinion but now i'm hanging more towards the nomad bow)

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:03:06 pm »