Author Topic: Lobbing Arrows  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Polofficer

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Vani, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Angelus_Mortis, Polofficer
Lobbing Arrows
« on: July 08, 2013, 04:43:26 pm »
Just a suggestion, but I think it'd be cool to be able to lob arrows. Like, over a persons shield to hit the guy standing behind them or something. Not very computer savvy, so I wouldnt know how to do it. but im sure you guys could figure something out     :twisted:
John

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: Lobbing Arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 05:44:07 pm »
+6
Making the upper angle group(dunno if the German artillery term "obere Winkelgruppe" actually exist in English) usable for high projectile speed ranged is an old suggestion and it is simply impossible because Warband only offers a limited amount of path points(500 I think with 10ms[?] between each point iirc).

In this game all path points are precalculated at the moment of the release and if the flight time is too long(500*10ms=5s) the projectile simply disappears at reaching the last point if I am not mistaken. I think the amount of path points is very hardcoded and cmp didn't find an easy solution to circumvent the problem. It might be still on a todo list somewhere but I dunno if that is still relevant with him working on Melee.

If you suggest to add a secondary mode to bows with throwing like projectile speed and thus low enough flight time to come back to earth - no, I dont like that. Released arrows like that wouldn't carry a sufficient amount of kinetic energy to defeat armour. Such shots would be pointless for all but ammo transfers between archers over walls.

I would like to have cmp to increase the maximum look and so shooting angle to 90 degree though. This is a second condition for indirect shooting at close targets.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:57:43 pm by Paul »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:53:28 pm »
That makes sense Paul.   I always wondered why I could shoot an arrow straight up, and run and follow the path (and can visibly see it the whole time), but it would disappear after a certain point (before it hit the ground, usually while it was starting to come down on the trajectory)
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Polofficer

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Vani, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:11:58 pm »
That makes sense Paul.   I always wondered why I could shoot an arrow straight up, and run and follow the path (and can visibly see it the whole time), but it would disappear after a certain point (before it hit the ground, usually while it was starting to come down on the trajectory)

Ive actually done this myself, thanks for the info!
John

Offline Kanclerz

• Baron
  • Renown: 83
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Vratislavia
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kanclerz_the_Grey
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 10:35:09 pm »
Maybe add auto-aim system to arrows and explosive effect? Fuck the shield, fuck the 2h, archer OP <3 forever.
Your suggestion for lobbing arrows is bad ;c

Offline Polofficer

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Vani, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:59:53 pm »
Its a suggestion corner, i was suggesting. I agree it was a bad idea.

but the thought of 30 or 40 fucking arrows raining down from the heavens onto everyones infidel faces interested me.

I'm not even an archer, Just thought itd be cool
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:07:24 pm by Polofficer »
John

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 11:27:44 pm »
+1
Maybe add auto-aim system to arrows and explosive effect? Fuck the shield, fuck the 2h, archer OP <3 forever.
Your suggestion for lobbing arrows is bad ;c

i am quite sure you missed the point.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 08:40:23 pm »
Maybe we could add Cat-lobbing while we're at it. The Claws could be lethal....

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 10:49:09 pm »
Making the upper angle group(dunno if the German artillery term "obere Winkelgruppe" actually exist in English) usable for high projectile speed ranged is an old suggestion and it is simply impossible because Warband only offers a limited amount of path points(500 I think with 10ms[?] between each point iirc).

In this game all path points are precalculated at the moment of the release and if the flight time is too long(500*10ms=5s) the projectile simply disappears at reaching the last point if I am not mistaken. I think the amount of path points is very hardcoded and cmp didn't find an easy solution to circumvent the problem. It might be still on a todo list somewhere but I dunno if that is still relevant with him working on Melee.

If you suggest to add a secondary mode to bows with throwing like projectile speed and thus low enough flight time to come back to earth - no, I dont like that. Released arrows like that wouldn't carry a sufficient amount of kinetic energy to defeat armour. Such shots would be pointless for all but ammo transfers between archers over walls.

I would like to have cmp to increase the maximum look and so shooting angle to 90 degree though. This is a second condition for indirect shooting at close targets.

Can't you have a secondary mode that lowers the missile speed to the point where it gains an arc like we have had before? Or was that due more to a higher gravity and would that be open to abuse due to speed bonus mechanics?
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline elvis1325

• Earl
  • Renown: 368
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • #REMEMBERYOSHI
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The People's Republic of Yoshi
  • Game nicks: Taril_Yoshi_III, Taril_the_Yoshi_Conscript
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 10:58:09 pm »
I think the devs should scrap all other ideas for the moment and only focus on the ability to arc arrows. It would give a reason to raise the shield other than siege. It may not seem possible, but if they all work together they might make something magical.

On the grand scale of Dwarven global threat assessment, Acre is currently ranked pretty low. Just slightly below Yoshis and factions that no longer exist.