Author Topic: Save the Long Maul  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
Re: Save the Long Maul
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 07:51:50 pm »
Not only is it slow, it doesn't seem to deal the damage it should.
I once hit a shielder with 4 overheads, all with crushtrough but he didn't die and I had 8 PS and 150 wpf in polearm at that time.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 09:21:01 pm »
I wouldn't mind a buff to the longmaul if they made it 4 slots.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 09:58:31 pm »
+1
I wouldn't mind a buff to the longmaul if they made it 4 slots.

oh yeah swashbucklers with a long maul maul on their back is what's breaking the mod

If you stop doing overheads the weapon just devolves into an unbelievably crappy version of the Long Hafted Spiked Mace. Occasionally I like to maul a little on siege, usually just with my main and despite having a 167 wpf difference, I'd pick the Great Maul over the Long Maul any day of the week.

Long Maul has been utterly crap for about 3 years now. -10 less speed, 1 less weight, 6 less damage, all that for 65 extra reach, which still makes it shorter than any weapon ever. With that speed it is almost impossible to actually use the reach anyway. A steel pick user can close that distance easily within the time it takes to swing and left swing you in the face.

Buff it, a lot.

I never said it wasn't in need of some sort of buff but what I do say is that people got the wrong expectations when touching the long maul. It's just this typical weapon every  first gen players uses (together with the LEE and the warhammer) because they think something that long and high damaging and down knocking  MUST BE THE SHIT (it even got CT on top!!!!!!!). It's really just the kinda weapon that gets effective when you either a) buddy up with a decent teammate or b) stand behind a ladder in siege (I've seen it being used really succesfully that way in strat sieges). The overhead is situational unless your opponent is a moron and that's the way it should be.

The kinda buff I personally would be ok with would be upping its damage by something like 5(+x ?) points (remember we're talking blunt damage here that also comes with crush through and knockdown) so that it becomes the slow hitting shield-crushing juggernaut it's supposed to be but really isn't at the current state of the mod. It's either the beginner's trap or the niche weapon for really decent polearm users.
Leave the speed as it is. Remove the thrust.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:06:17 pm by wayyyyyne »

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 02:02:52 am »
+1
Speed was fine, until the crushthrough delay nonsense, which is simply plain stupid - I certainly gather more power by holding 8 kg 1 m behind my back for 1,2 seconds.. But its not working as it is right now either speed increase or preferably removal of that crushthrough delay. And the long overdue damage buff ofc.. I wouldn't mind 4 slots, if the weapon would finally hurt again.
Trust is also fine as it is in my opinion, its just good for the lols.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 07:16:49 am »
The side swings are not entirely useless. Like the hafted spike maces, you can aim at the floor and do some wacky support swings that seem to magically bend around your teamate who is in front of you. Overhead is still the main draw of the weapon though.

I agree that a modest buff was long(hehe) needed. It's one of those weapons that you only see once in a blue moon, because it is mediocre at most things.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline vipere

• Marshall
  • Renown: 793
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Lunasa
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2013, 09:32:21 am »
Just remove the crushtrough delay for the long maul.

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 11:40:27 pm »
+2
I'd just like to thank the devs for making the long maul 76 speed and buffing the thrust!
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 11:59:06 pm »
+10
I'd just like to thank the devs for making the long maul 76 speed and buffing the thrust!
I'm taking payments in form of +1s.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline BadooN

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 41
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 4 wheel drive
  • Game nicks: Badoon, Barnabus Ballson
  • IRC nick: BadooN
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2013, 12:13:41 am »
+2
of course my mighty long maul trade gets accepted right after the patch is up lol

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2013, 04:12:25 am »
of course my mighty long maul trade gets accepted right after the patch is up lol

Thanks for the maul, by the way.  :wink:

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2013, 09:20:55 am »
With 156 WPF, the change from 70 -> 76 speed feels like a huge difference. Almost as fast sidewswings as an expensive greatsword with 111 wpf.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far