Author Topic: Archer/1H+Shield Viable?  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Sagremore

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Archer/1H+Shield Viable?
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:19:42 pm »
Hello,

Rather new I would like comments and possible build suggestions for making a viable archer that can stand up in a fight with a sword and board. I do understand that hybrids will never be as strong as pure builds but this is what I want to do so if you can point me how to do it as well as possible I would be greatful.

Cheers

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Archer/1H+Shield Viable?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:20:53 pm »
You shouldn't do it, try learning blocking with an 1h weapon instead.

It's rewarding in the long run.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:17 pm »
Hello,

Rather new I would like comments and possible build suggestions for making a viable archer that can stand up in a fight with a sword and board. I do understand that hybrids will never be as strong as pure builds but this is what I want to do so if you can point me how to do it as well as possible I would be greatful.

Cheers

Archer + Shield + 1h = fail

Really, don't even try it, 16-20 arrows is too low amount, also you would need some wpf for 1h and archery will suck without 100-95% of your wpf

Offline Sagremore

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:16:21 pm »
Duly noted, I may do an early reset then Im only level 20 and I may have asked too late...

My Stats are as follows, let me know if you think I should restart now, or tough it out for an heirloom + xp boost.

Strength   15   
Agility   12   

One Handed   90
Archery         102   

Skills
Iron Flesh               4   
Power Strike       4   
Shield               3
Athletics               3
Power Draw       5
Weapon Master   4

Offline Sammael

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SammaeI
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:17:33 pm »
Duly noted, I may do an early reset then Im only level 20 and I may have asked too late...

My Stats are as follows, let me know if you think I should restart now, or tough it out for an heirloom + xp boost.

Strength   15   
Agility   12   

One Handed   90
Archery         102   

Skills
Iron Flesh               4   
Power Strike       4   
Shield               3
Athletics               3
Power Draw       5
Weapon Master   4

Did you by chance convert an attribute to two skill points? If so, I would probably reset now. I always prefer to convert either 2 or 8 skill points and I never convert attribute points. Level 20 doesn't take too long to get up to, and you have some extra skills points that could be much better spent elsewhere. (pd, wm, athletics, ps are your most important skills)

Remember that at level 30 (which is where you'll spend most of your time) try to get multiples of 3 for both str and agi, example

21 str, 15 agi (converted 2 skill pts)
15 str, 24 agi (converted 8 skill pts)

Choosing between high str and high agi is really all about what you want. For a hybrid melee, I'd go higher agi to give more wpf to split between your archery and melee. If you want hard hitting arrows, go high str.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the character builder right now (damn you work comp) but I'd suggest going at least 135 in archery, minimum. This will get you "ok" accuracy and will spare some wpf points for a melee weapon. You may still struggle with long distance shots, however. If you want to go full archery, shoot for 150+ wpf in my opinion.

Edit: To your original question: I'd recommend against archery + 1h/shield. Too many skill points and wpf needed for both play styles. If you really want a 1h/shield plus a ranged option, a crossbow might be better suited to your needs, as all it requires is minimal wpf, compared to archery. Biggest crossbow you can take with 1h/shield though is the regular crossbow since anything heavy and up requires 2 slots.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:22:37 pm by Sammael »

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 01:01:34 am »
Yeah, I can only second Sammael.
Though, if you really wanted to do it, I'd respec and do this.

Elite Cav Shield, Broad Battle Axe, Strong Bow, Bodkin Arrows

* Strength: 18
    * Agility: 18

* Skills to attributes: 2

* Power Strike: 6
    * Shield: 5
    * Athletics: 6
    * Power Draw: 6
    * Weapon Master: 6

* One Handed: 90
    * Archery: 140

You can switch tactically between pure shield (siege attack f.e.), pure archer (siege defense) or both. All stats are good enough to fight decently though, you'll always be disadvantage vs. pure. If you have both, you'll have to fight as melee and ranged thanks to low ammo. What I'd try is to go melee first and archer later. Just be a little more cautious with attacks and focus on "holding the line" so teammates can make kills until the chaos has cleared down. After the main melee, there are often many runners and campers where an archer can be very helpful. Just try to get close with shield raised and shoot them when they run away or keep hiding. Ofc. if you are in a 1vs1 with a twohander who runs away to avoid your short weapon, just do the same, step back and shoot him. ;)

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 12:45:51 pm »
Yeah, I can only second Sammael.
Though, if you really wanted to do it, I'd respec and do this.

Elite Cav Shield, Broad Battle Axe, Strong Bow, Bodkin Arrows

* Strength: 18
    * Agility: 18

* Skills to attributes: 2

* Power Strike: 6
    * Shield: 5
    * Athletics: 6
    * Power Draw: 6
    * Weapon Master: 6

* One Handed: 90
    * Archery: 140

You can switch tactically between pure shield (siege attack f.e.), pure archer (siege defense) or both. All stats are good enough to fight decently though, you'll always be disadvantage vs. pure. If you have both, you'll have to fight as melee and ranged thanks to low ammo. What I'd try is to go melee first and archer later. Just be a little more cautious with attacks and focus on "holding the line" so teammates can make kills until the chaos has cleared down. After the main melee, there are often many runners and campers where an archer can be very helpful. Just try to get close with shield raised and shoot them when they run away or keep hiding. Ofc. if you are in a 1vs1 with a twohander who runs away to avoid your short weapon, just do the same, step back and shoot him. ;)

I was thinking about this exact build earlier. You have an extra 5 skill points (in agility) at 18/18 with 2 converted. You can either dump it in Iron Flesh or Shield.. So the question is, is having a Sword+Shield+Limited Ammo better than Sword+Lots of Ammo+5 Iron Flesh?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:51:06 pm by bilwit »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 01:30:04 pm »
As an archer you are better off using the warbow, 2 arrow bags and 1 0 slot weapon, which you can switch with anything you loot later on when you shot your first batch of arrows.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 05:40:56 pm »
I dont think a shield archer is viable in my opinion, you need to dump almost all your points into archery to be anything like accurate. Crossbow/shield hybrid makes a better build in my experiance. I use this and its pretty effective;
(click to show/hide)
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps