Poll

Banner balance (autobalance) based on winning percentage?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Suggestion: Banner balance (autobalance) based on winning percentage  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Re: Suggestion: Banner balance (autobalance) based on winning percentage
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 09:09:27 pm »
IIRC the current formula uses KD ratio from the last few days (or games, dunno) among other things.

That true in siege too, or just battle?
Would love to know more about how the balancer works in battle and also in siege, and how the banner balance works.
I know playing together is something to retain, but sometimes the balancer even fails to properly balance the "randoms" in around the clans that are present on the server for a good balanced gameplay.

The issue as far as I see it (and yes I play siege mostly so Im talking about the issue there), the balancer tries to balance people based off of their performance (points and kills, which should balance things, BUT the problem is that the balancer cannot move people in clans unless it moves them all together (most of the time).

If clan A has a bunch of high scoring players on, and clan B is against them with less people and less high scoring players, you'd think that the balancer would seek to give clan B whatever high scoring "randoms" it could to help balance things....but it often doesnt even do that.

----

Not sure what the solution is - but I do think the balancer could use some tweaking perhaps.  It can be one of the more frustrating parts of the game currently, even for someone who gets valor a lot (this guy :))
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 09:14:16 pm »
The current autobalance algorithm works well when the server is a bunch of randoms, it's when a big clan shows up that things get weird. If I had a dollar for every time it put the top-performing randoms on the same team as the clan that is rolling the server...

THIS! Not sure why it does this but I see it happen all the time.
Even when the big clan rolling the server is doing well score wise as well, it still can often give them many of the high scoring randoms as well.

---------------

Question is this.  How does it work?

If the server is all randoms (only 1 on from any clan so the server can move everyone freely instead of in groups), what does it do?  Balance based on scores of the individuals so each team has about the same number of high scorers?

How does it look at a clan?  As one block, IE one entity? - since it has to move them all together?  Or does it look at them individually?
Just curious how it all works.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:18:38 pm by Elindor »
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 03:18:32 pm »
I think there's a place for current multiplier in the equation.  For example we could balance by:  char_level + 10*Recent_K:D + 5*Current Multiplier + 5*Riding + 5*PD + 5*PT (numbers are just to bring everything to roughly the same order of magnitude, in reality they can be adjusted according to importance.

That might also help balance archers and cav as they would automatically have a higher value than melee players and would therefore become higher priority targets to move when balancing.

I also think the banner balance threshold needs reducing a bit.  I know it sucks not to get on the same team as clan mates but right now there are just too many players in the big clans and anything to persuade players to join the smaller clans is good imo.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 03:21:53 pm »
There is a gigantic flaw in this idea, if it worked properly eventually most people would have an even winning percentage due to getting balanced based on their value which should create somewhat balanced teams, and once most people got a percentage of 50% of the time regardless of their skill this system will collapse on itself for obvious reasons.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 03:29:25 pm »
THIS! Not sure why it does this but I see it happen all the time.
Even when the big clan rolling the server is doing well score wise as well, it still can often give them many of the high scoring randoms as well.

---------------

Question is this.  How does it work?

If the server is all randoms (only 1 on from any clan so the server can move everyone freely instead of in groups), what does it do?  Balance based on scores of the individuals so each team has about the same number of high scorers?

How does it look at a clan?  As one block, IE one entity? - since it has to move them all together?  Or does it look at them individually?
Just curious how it all works.

I think it works as follows (or similar) but could be a bit out of date or plain wrong in some aspects :D

For a new map or newly joined player
- assign them to the team with lowest number of total levels

After round 1 - Banner Balance
- Work out the total levels of players on the server.  E.g. 10 level 30 players = 300 levels
- Group clans together according to banner but only if the total levels of the clan players does not exceed 20% of the total levels on the server.  So with 300 total levels then no more than 60 levels (3 level 30 players) will be grouped as a clan.
- Balance out the clans evenly between the teams
- Every other player is a "randomer" and fills the gaps according to their level

After every subsequent round - Normal Balance
- balance teams according to recent K:D but devaluing banner balanced players so that they are less likely to be moved.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 06:31:43 pm »
Phew,

If your suggestion puts us on the same siege team more often.

I'm okay with this :D

Regards,
Oni

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 07:09:42 pm »
Oni, play more siege! I'm sick of having to play DTV because siege is empty. And Battle is just like the worst part of DTV (chasing those last few mounted Nomads) over and over.

The consensus that I've gotten from the feedback in this thread is that folks favor XP/gold over actual fun. Perhaps the more important change isn't the banner balance system, but rather the reward system. Valour is a step in the right direction, but too binary. I say re-work the multiplier system in favor of XP/gold scaled to the "odds". A weak team beats a bad team=big reward. Strong team steamrolls some peasants=small reward. Same thing on the individual level; beat a superior player, get a big reward (like duel). This would encourage people to seek out tough fights, as opposed to the current system that rewards people for steamrolling weak opponents.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 02:12:15 am »
The consensus that I've gotten from the feedback in this thread is that folks favor XP/gold over actual fun.

That's their problem, though.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 04:30:03 pm »
That's their problem, though.

You should ad a "game mode" where people do menial chores in exchange for constant 5X. i.e. a dishwashing simulator, pairing socks, etc. Then you can implement a better banner balance system and the rest of us can enjoy it on the old servers while the XP/gold whores grind away on the new server.