Author Topic: Which shield to loom? Elite cav shield or one of the knightlies?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
Re: Which shield to loom? Elite cav shield or one of the knightlies?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 06:50:43 pm »
+1
I don't really notice, using an elite cav at the moment. Held overheads have a bonus to stunning blocks, which is pretty uncommon on battle.

As far as I know, every direction held has a chance to stun (except stabs), and that if your weapon is 3 weight or more, that side swings will stun more, because the overhead attack is a constant chance, while the side swings use the weapons weight.

Related: If you are fighting someone 1v1 that has a bonus against shield weapon, you probably want to put your shield on your back.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 06:54:31 pm »
Okay. I was informed on TS that there was a bonus since I wasn't sure, since all of my stuns on 1hs have been through an overhead with a 2.3 weight weapon, while sideswings never stunned.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 06:57:33 pm »
+2
Related: If you are fighting someone 1v1 that has a bonus against shield weapon, you probably want to put your shield on your back.

I dunno, letting them break the shield is often better, since you don't have the shield weight slowing you down. If there was a "drop shield" key binding, then that would be best, but right now you have to unsheath weapon to drop shield. Also, for some reason people have a hard time blocking the next attack after the shield breaks. It's like the shield break animation disguises the counter-attack, or maybe it's just a false confidence thing.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 07:57:52 pm »
I dunno, letting them break the shield is often better, since you don't have the shield weight slowing you down. If there was a "drop shield" key binding, then that would be best, but right now you have to unsheath weapon to drop shield. Also, for some reason people have a hard time blocking the next attack after the shield breaks. It's like the shield break animation disguises the counter-attack, or maybe it's just a false confidence thing.

+1'ed for the ability to drop shield without having to sheath your weapon first.

Whenever my shield has broken I've always tried to make sure I'm manually blocking the correct direction as it always seems like the break stuns me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 08:01:51 pm »
+1'ed for the ability to drop shield without having to sheath your weapon first.

Whenever my shield has broken I've always tried to make sure I'm manually blocking the correct direction as it always seems like the break stuns me.

Yeah same here. Although it would be a nice addition to have a drop shield key, I don't find it very annoying to fight with the shield on my back unless it is a huscarl shield, which is so large it blocks basically everything.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 09:05:23 pm »
+1

I found this too. I think the shield breaking surprises them and this new variable overloads their neurons for a second or something, cuz if I  react quickly and attack aggrssively it usually connects even against pretty good players. This ontop of shedding some weight.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 09:11:21 pm »
+1
I thought you literally can't block for a while after it breaks instead of a confidence thing. Of course not long enough for the same person to hit again, but against 2+.

When you stun a block, the receiver can't buffer the next block that they want, so it could screw up timing.

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 11:20:28 pm »
Yellow Pratice Shield

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 06:26:57 am »
+1
Very often when i break a guys shield i get a free second attack against him, and very often if he tries to attack me directly after i break shield,  that gives me a free hit.

But not always, some people manage to get off attacks immediately after losing a shield.  Maybe its related to shield speed or weight or something?
Or just plain footwork.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 11:06:14 am »
elite cav is better hands down

Especially if you plan on winning battle
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.