Author Topic: Forcefield from 5->7 shield skill and build advice  (Read 3505 times)

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 769
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Norse_Erzengel
Re: Forcefield from 5->7 shield skill and build advice
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2013, 10:15:07 am »
+1
Without the wpf, I lose a point in powerstrike and a good amount of swing speed. I got outswung a ton with 131 wpf, and on my stf with 172, the difference is night and day. It allows the slower blunt weapons to swing nearly as fast as the cut weapons, with much better earlier hits.

My 15/24 stf is working out so well, I decided I will do 18/27 over 21/24. With 66 body armor and 54 hp, I was tanking more hits (and avoiding even more) than my 76 hp main in 56 body armor.

Let's say each point in athletics + 3 agi allows you to maintain the same speed with 7.5 more weight.

Let's also say a competitive speed to be fast is 7ath with 15 total weight. 9ath will let me wear 15 more weight of armor, especially since a lot of that original 15 weight consisted of weapons/boots/helmets/gloves that won't change the weight that much. That's the difference between tunic over mail and the heaviest of plate. Not to mention the acceleration stays great, and PS past 6 isn't affected by blunt weapons too much.

The massive amount of wpf will keep my damage high. 5 shield is better than 5 IF, so 2h variants may be worse since they just get shot up. 18 strength is also the minimum for all the heaviest armor and gear outside of the great maul.

Strength: 18
    Agility: 27
    Hit points: 53

Skills to attributes: 8

Power Strike: 6
    Shield: 5
    Athletics: 9
    Weapon Master: 9

One Handed: 185

With a blunt weapon and a sword, consistent damage will be made. It can easily catch archers while running in plate, and deal good amounts of damage with blunt. If there is a knockdown, a held attack+speed bonus can deal multiples of damage of a normal swing. Held attacks are easier to land in general with higher ath. Good armor + speed bonus manipulation helps mitigate damage. Hoplite weapons can be used with 1wpf if sorely needed against cav. Weaknesses are getting hit by blunt weapons or getting knocked down. I learned that I don't need exorbitant amounts of speed, just competitive levels of 6-7ath medium armor is more than fast enough.

185 wpf? Utter insanity, I must do this. Moving faster than infantry with gothic plate with bevor? Priceless.

Not sure if the Gothic Plate or any other heavy armor is worth it with only 53 hit points. I am using 15/27 with 0 Iron Flesh and it hardly makes a difference. Have to test it again for a while, though.

Edit: Ok, changed my opinion. It is great. :) Especially versus one handed cut weapons. Really funny to outrun most people while using plate armor.

I am still not 100% confident of your build. It is very nice, but I think that 18/24 could be better.

Level: 36

Stength: 18
Agility: 24
Hit points: 63

Iron Flesh: 5
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 8
Athletics: 8
Weapon Master: 8

One Handed: 177

3 Agility and 1 less Athletics means that you can use 7.5 less weight compared to 18/27 while maintaining the same movement speed. You will also lose 1 Weapon Master.

Therefor you get 5 Iron Flesh (10 hit points) and 3 more Shield.

With 5 Shield you will most likely use one of the heavy shields (7.7 weight or more). Most other shields with less weight just break too fast with only 5 Shield. 8 Shield allows you to use the Steel Buckler instead. It only has 3.5 weight. So the "weight difference" between both builds is only between 3.8 (Plate Covered Round Shields) and 1 (Heavy Board Shield). Even if you use Knightly Kite/Heater Shield it is "only" 5 weight and those are clearly inferior compared to Steel Buckler with 8 Shield.

So you are only slightly slower, get 10 extra hit points (which make a huge difference if you use heavy armor), a much better shield and you have more options regarding the slot system.

I have tested this build on a STF with 16/24, 0 Iron Flesh, 0 Weapon Master. My equipment was: +3 Winged Mace, +3 Steel Buckler, +3 Hourglass Gauntlets, +3 Cased Greaves, +0 Gothic Plate with Bevor and +0 Sallet with Visor.

It was awesome, even with those items. With +12 Hit points, +1 Power Strike, +8 Weapon Master, +8 body armor, +10 head armor and perhaps a better weapon (Spathovaklion or Warhammer) it will be just brutal.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:16:03 pm by Erzengel »

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2013, 09:02:00 pm »
+1
I dunno if I like the idea of converting so much to reach 18/27... you have such low shield skill! I also think your goal to keep throwing on more armour to offset whatever new speed you have gained is madness! you gotta try runnin around in a gambeson for awhile with high athletics! sure you die easy if you get hit but the speed! it is such a huge huge difference having all that speed! I don't get how you can say that your agi/ath is offsetting weight, I always feel ridiculously slow as soon as i put on 10+ weight worth of armour with my current 8ath 26agi.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2013, 09:28:04 pm »
+3
I spent a few gens in a tribal warrior outfit. The problem is not dieing from enemies, it's from teammates and horsebumps. Matey you like to run around solo on flanks, which is fine, and you avoid the teammate hazard and you have room to dodge horses, but frontline shielders take a serious beating from teammates, 55+ armor stacking with the 50% dmg reduction for friendly hits really helps mitigate that a lot. My kill ratio really improved when I switched from armor from leather to the heavier side of medium.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2013, 10:31:47 pm »
I spent a few gens in a tribal warrior outfit. The problem is not dieing from enemies, it's from teammates and horsebumps. Matey you like to run around solo on flanks, which is fine, and you avoid the teammate hazard and you have room to dodge horses, but frontline shielders take a serious beating from teammates, 55+ armor stacking with the 50% dmg reduction for friendly hits really helps mitigate that a lot. My kill ratio really improved when I switched from armor from leather to the heavier side of medium.

I didn't always avoid teammates... but I learned to. I do put on armour in strat fights when I have to be in the big melee mash up... But I usually feel slow and sluggish and still get killed by teammates and random hits and so on. I would agree that heavy armour is worth it in strat though... but in battle?! Run off on the side and murder those poor little ranged guys. p.s. fuck cav.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 04:31:34 pm »
Stop face hugging the enemy and running around in circles, you won't get team hit as much (and cav can actually help you). 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2013, 05:51:52 pm »
+3
I didn't always avoid teammates... but I learned to. I do put on armour in strat fights when I have to be in the big melee mash up... But I usually feel slow and sluggish and still get killed by teammates and random hits and so on. I would agree that heavy armour is worth it in strat though... but in battle?! Run off on the side and murder those poor little ranged guys. p.s. fuck cav.
One or two guys running off to fight on the flanks is useful. Too many more, and your team ends up undermanned for the big, battle-deciding melee that usually occurs on most maps.

Stop face hugging the enemy and running around in circles, you won't get team hit as much (and cav can actually help you).
Frontline shielders will always get teamwounded, no matter what they do. It just goes with the gig.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:56:17 pm by Vodner »