Author Topic: Shields  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Shields
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 09:32:04 pm »
Also, I'd like you to formulate precisely what do you mean by "a notion of timing".

Raising a shield is way faster than pulling a bow and aiming. You also need to time your attack properly, so as to not get shot in the face or missing the hit and letting the archer escape. And knowing when to chase an archer and when not is also important.

I dont like kiting either though, but you people keep aproaching this issue the wrong way. As I understand, kiting became a problem when the devs forced pure builds with the slot system and stuff, so I think that making melee archers good again would be the best alternative.

Offline HarryCrumb

• Earl
  • Renown: 339
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 09:33:26 pm »
+1
You're 21/15 and have 0 IF as a shielder? What is your build?!

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:21 pm »
As a thrower (4 ath), I can kill archers, cav, 2h, poles etc.

So ?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 09:55:38 pm »
He truly is, BEASTMASTER.

Offline Protemus

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 270
  • cRPG Player
  • EZ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan EZ kills
  • Game nicks: niluK_the_Annoying aka EZ
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 10:10:20 pm »
Quote from: Melee Gaming
Protemus, You have received a warning for non-relevant posts in ban section also for personal attacks with disgusting insults on the forums. Chill out and enjoy the game. Regards, cRPG Team

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 11:19:50 pm »
It is a roman build I made for fun. Turned out it is really good if a bit fragile.

21/15

7 PS
7 PT
0 IF
5 ATH
5 WM
5 Shield Skill

120 throwing
99 1H

I don't see archers as a threat and they are only a threat if you lose big numbers in melee. As your opponents melee is out numbered if you lose you deserved it. Even on my 24/13 level 27 polearm main (which I hate), Archers are not ever foremost in my thoughts.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 02:41:02 pm »
The trick, when you are a thrower, is to approach without showing that you have a throwing weapon (sheathed or anything). So, the archer think he has time to shoot at you and no flee.When you are close enough and/or when he turn his back, you shoot him.
Like I say, archers are not a problem.
HA or cav lancer often die when they charge at me (ok,  I die in 10% of cases), or at least their horse.

The problem is not cavalry or archers, the problem is 50% of player are 2h/pole, slow, without protection or any teamplay.
I often see a 2h's running faster than me as I'm trying to protect them with my shield.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 02:49:11 pm »
Make shield utilization as interesting/challenging mechanics-wise as manual blocking and I might be tempted to go shielder like I was forced to back in Native.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 04:15:35 pm »
+1

Offline Thedric

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 06:42:20 pm »
+3
I just had an archer-chasing experience as a shielder on EU1. Basically I was chasing an archer and was catching up, then when i got close he jumed, turned around and fired an arrow at me, forcing me to raise my shield, thus slowing me down. Now here comes the fun part: before I could drop shield and commence attack he turned around and ran out of my range (I had a nordic warsword, so decent range) and I was swinging at air.

This went on for ~20 seconds, it got to a point where he ran out of arrows and had to pick up the ones on the ground. He did it all while I was chasing him. In the end one of his jump-turn-fire attacks hit me in the face and i died.  :cry:

He then went on to do the same thing to a couple other ppl before getting cornered by superior numbers.

So nowadays when going shielder you need to chose if you want to be able to catch archers OR be able to hold your own in an inf fight. There is apparently no middle ground.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 01:03:20 am »
I'm not familiar with archer builds; never even considered playing one and likely never will. Would a 12/27 build with 9 shield skill and 9 ath be able to catch most archers, or would I need to go something like 9/30? I would either take a fast blunt weapon like a flanged mace, or a scottish sword. Maybe even long dagger if I feel like being crazy.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 02:00:27 am »
I'm not familiar with archer builds; never even considered playing one and likely never will. Would a 12/27 build with 9 shield skill and 9 ath be able to catch most archers, or would I need to go something like 9/30? I would either take a fast blunt weapon like a flanged mace, or a scottish sword. Maybe even long dagger if I feel like being crazy.

With 7 athletics and a gambeson, it's a rare archer I can't catch. 9 would be no problem.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 04:12:31 am »
Oops didn't mean to vote