Author Topic: 1 or 2 types of Szabla as more expensive sabre/shashka counterparts  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
+4
Szabla is the Polish word for sabre, and it was born from the adoption of curved swords by Poles and Hungarians from eastern invaders, who they'd both had extensive contact with because of Mongol expansion. I'd like to see one or two of them in game. The wiki article details the history pretty well and also discusses general features as well as variant forms. The time frame for seeing true szabli as opposed to recovered eastern predecessors would have been late 1500's, with some of the variants coming later in different parts of the 1600's.

As I have neither the time nor skill to try to make models for a request like this, does anyone like the idea and/or is anyone willing to put in the time to make models for them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szabla

My hope would be for a Karabela and the Hussar Sabre or Szabla Husarska but even getting just one in would be nice.

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
Re: 1 or 2 types of Szabla as more expensive sabre/shashka counterparts
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:04:16 pm »
Scimitar
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:11:50 pm »
Not same sword, and you can stab with a szabla as their ends are often double bladed. Scimitar is more of a predecessor and general saber, not that you couldn't stab with them at all, but they weren't as well designed for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scimitar lists the szabla and karabela as related to the arabic scimitar.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:17:46 pm by Rextard »

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:33:07 am »
Not the same, but very close. Furthermore the the glory days of Polish saber was a comparatively far from the Middle Ages.

It would be cool to add it, but meh I doubt.
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:57:24 pm »
Szabla is the Polish word for sabre, and it was born from the adoption of curved swords by Poles and Hungarians from eastern invaders, who they'd both had extensive contact with because of Mongol expansion. I'd like to see one or two of them in game. The wiki article details the history pretty well and also discusses general features as well as variant forms. The time frame for seeing true szabli as opposed to recovered eastern predecessors would have been late 1500's, with some of the variants coming later in different parts of the 1600's.

As I have neither the time nor skill to try to make models for a request like this, does anyone like the idea and/or is anyone willing to put in the time to make models for them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szabla

My hope would be for a Karabela and the Hussar Sabre or Szabla Husarska but even getting just one in would be nice.

to be honest szabla is way superior over scimitar, can thrust but never used  for that in crpg animation way,

and model...
+1 anyway

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 03:03:36 pm »
I want to make a Hungarian hussar with szábla!! Oh my god, please add this.

Also, we need new thrust animations for 1h. Or different 1h stab animations for different weapons.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 05:15:00 pm »
Thanks for the feedback so far guys! Yeah, the stabbing would be an issue...in terms of which stab to include.  :twisted: ___ :twisted:

As this video using an american cavalry sabre demonstrates, the sabres can easily stab with a down turned palm or in the upturned supine position as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZWcyga9-Ag&feature=relmfu

Also, cold steel is an awesomo site that does lots of videos for different melee weapons. Theres also a video for a napoleonic sabre from 1830 and a 3 part series outlining basic defense with sabres and cutlass, for those interested.

Not the same, but very close. Furthermore the the glory days of Polish saber was a comparatively far from the Middle Ages.

It would be cool to add it, but meh I doubt.

Good point on the timing Kalp. I've been hangin onto this suggestion for a while, and decided to suggest it when I saw that ranseurs and other late (16th/17th century) polearms were getting put in.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:19:09 pm by Rextard »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 05:23:09 pm »
Did you just post a Cold Steel video in a serious manner?

It is very similar to a scimitar, you do not have a model. The only thing that would make it different from a scimitar is a stab, which would require a new animation. What do you expect to happen here?

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 09:54:03 pm »
Only serious in so far as it displayed the range of angles with which you can stab with a saber.

Way I figure it is it'd be like a more curved shashka in terms of animation. Shashka already has stab also.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting anything. I was just putting the idea out there in case someone also wants it to happen, but unlike me has the time and ability to help it along.