Author Topic: Why cRPG Doesn't Need To Become Faster  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Why cRPG Doesn't Need To Become Faster
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 02:42:28 pm »
+2
in my experience with lots of different isp's etc.. Game becomes truly enjoyable at less than 45-50 ping. Above that, expect less control and more random glances, less accuracy in timing etc.

Your avatar is awesome

Offline woody

• Earl
  • Renown: 407
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Woody, Weebo, Wreky
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 02:49:38 pm »
If weapon speeds go up I look forward to spamming longswords, miadaos and scimitars non stop.

Also buff damage and weapon speed again for faster weapons because blocking is for wusses.

On a serious note, how about a minimum ping? Maybe then people with 20 ping or less wont find it too easy.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 02:52:55 pm »
+1
I heard on dev IRC that the ping balancer already midly fucks over people with < 50 ping, but that was long ago.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 02:55:06 pm »
+1
Your avatar is awesome
This.

Screw all you pot heads an stoner's this mod needs a weapon speed increase duels are incredible boring and just plain....  :lol:

A much better way to make duels less boring would be to add a lot more things you can keep track of (not talking stamina btw but actual things such as kicks, jumps and chambers).

Eh, Wouldn't mind faster run speeds.

Agi feels kinda pointless at the moment.
Faster run speeds would be more fun in my personal opinion, I was mainly talking about speeding everything up, but faster runspeeds aren't really all that necessary in my opinion.
On a serious note, how about a minimum ping? Maybe then people with 20 ping or less wont find it too easy.
Pretty sure there already is a minimum worthwhile ping of 40, ain't sure though.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 03:50:05 pm »
I agree with what you're saying, but I can also see where the other side is coming from too.

The reason some people want to see the game sped up is that any player of decent ability--not even one of the PROs with 2 years of playtime, just your average pretty good cRPG player--who decides to just focus on blocking and to not attack at all can pretty much do so indefinitely as long as he has space to back up so that you can't kick him. They say that's a symptom of the difficulty of melee combat not being adjusted to account for the increase in player ability over the lifetime of the mod, and, from what I've observed, they may have a point.

As you've noted though, just speeding up the game is not the only or necessarily best solution to the situation.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 09:38:03 pm »
It's a little of both tbh. Why would it be a bad suggestion ?
Edit: Mother of god, I've created a monster! All I wanted was to make a reply, but then I just kept writing! Someone stop me D:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:44:17 pm by Zapper »
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 10:22:18 pm »
+1
Right now STR is Survival (IF) AND damage (PS/PD/PT), while athletics is only mobility (athl/riding) and accuracy/hybriding (wpf. only 100 needed for melee). Most people don't use ranged or multiple weapons (why is this? I would love if going into battle with only 1 weapon was a BAD thing), so if you have to choose between Damage AND Survival or Mobility, why go for the 1 out of 3 instead of the 2 out of 3?

I don't really agree with this. Both my experience and actual numbers tend to show that there is little difference between the actual (all variables considered) damage throughput of STR and AGI builds when you don't go out of the 24/15 - 15/24 range, which is I believe the vast majority of the playerbase. STR builds however, can take a lot of punishment.

But I get your point.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 11:00:02 pm »
Oh fuck you Leshma, you put me on a writing spree again!

I don't really agree with this. Both my experience and actual numbers tend to show that there is little difference between the actual (all variables considered) damage throughput of STR and AGI builds when you don't go out of the 24/15 - 15/24 range, which is I believe the vast majority of the playerbase. STR builds however, can take a lot of punishment.

But I get your point.
You are talking about the difference between 8 PS and 5 PS I assume? Yeah, it's actually not that big. Hitting in the middle of the animation, holding attacks and movement speed can more than make up for this. Which I find cool. But it really becomes broken when you get 10 or more. The main drawback on high STR builds should be the mobility, but as long as you take the longest reaching, swingable, melee weapons (greatswords, glaive and poleaxes) then you are completely fine, because you will never be outreached. Again, not a problem if they could just be shot to death, but since the slow, high damaging guys also have the more health, that also makes them able to soak so many projectiles. Why waste 5 arrows (pluss missed shots) on a slow STR guy when you can kill the 18/18 5 IF guy with two? Also, 90% of the people with a shield is also walking as slow as the STR guys while taking way fewer projectiles. Shields shouldn't slow you down so much.

Doing the right things to max your damage should be rewarded, I actually think they should nerf the damage of the "hit early in animation" (which is why hiltslashing works) high damaging weapons even more. Currently it just makes them as fast as the faster weapons (with sameish damage), but able to do a slower, more damaging, attack too.

Last gen when I was crossbowman I got *name removed* raging on me for surviving 2 hits from his Great Axe, even though he had 8 PS (had 10% left), while I killed him in 3 hits with my military hammer. I tried to explain to him that it was because he was hitting too early in his animations with not held attacks, while I did held attacks, aimed at his head and used his momentum against him. But he just kept ignoring what I wrote and calling me bad names :(

This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia