Author Topic: Throwing  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Tyrianstrasz

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 11:34:35 am »
+1
Throwing axes, for example, weren't actually used to kill anyone
So you're telling me that if a throwing axe hits an unarmoured peasant, or another otherwise unarmored bodypart they'd just walk away fine? That's pretty much how they work in-game with their cut damage, high damage to unarmored, nothing to tincans. (unless you're a 11PT monster)

Offline FrugFrug

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB Mascot
  • Game nicks: FrugFrug Owl_Beard
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 05:08:26 am »
+1
Yes, nerf my rocks even more!  8-)

Offline BashirKhan

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 08:34:57 am »
Throwing needs a SERIOUS nerf.

Historically, throwing weapons were used as cheap disposable projectiles that you could launch at the enemy before moving into melee range. Throwing axes, for example, weren't actually used to kill anyone - they just bounced around and disrupted enemy formations. Even if you managed to score a direct hit with most of these weapons, they wouldn't do anywhere near as much damage as they do in cRPG. In fact, most of them would just bounce off of any decent armor. The one-hit-kill that many throwing weapons produce in-game is absolutely ridiculous. Realistically, a pure thrower would be a novelty and nothing more. They certainly wouldn't be able to smite anyone within 20 meters with impunity like they do now.

The norse horde guys are a good example of reasonable, well-implemented throwing. The pure throwers running around in aprons are not. Their play style should not be feasible without a very high degree of skill.

I propose a reduction in the difficulty requirements for throwing weapons so that more people can carry them, and a BIG reduction in damage so that they're not as overpowering as they are now. Heavy axes in particular need some serious re-adjustment. These things are unblockable, capable of attacking from range, and do more damage than a greatsword. It's ludicrous - at least give them a chance to glance against heavy armor or something.

tl;dr pure throwers are bullshit, nerf them.
Well it is unrealistic. For one Javs, jarids, throwing spears/ lances wouldn't hit sharp point first 100% of the time. If you really want realism they should be about 25% effective as they are now. Not hating on throwers or anything i was a thrower for a gen had fun also raged alot  :|

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 12:09:08 pm »
Throwing spears/lances/whatnot should be actually more effective vs naked people and people wearing aprons and clothes, not less; and by far more effective at rendering shields unusable. Axes are dicier, since you'd have to be a very good judge of distance to actually hit with the blade.

Of course, armour penetration of throwing weapons is a bit silly.

If you want to talk about history, I suggest you look into why organized armies (such as, eg. Romans) used these on a massive scale. This was before the day of armoured knights, naturally.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:12:23 pm by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 01:31:35 pm »
Whats the point? Throwing isn't even a popular class.
This is like whining about archery, but on reverse.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 05:37:55 pm »
Throwing is fine.

Balance-wise, you can block throwing the same way you block any other projectile--a shield.  It does have low ammo, and low range.  They are pretty easy to dodge.  The only time it does crazy damage is with a head-shot.

Realism-wise, its also fine.  Headshots are lethal, with makes sense.  A heavy throwing axe or javelin being thrown into a body would hurt a lot, and it does.  Throwing knives and snowflakes are pretty ineffective.  All the throwing weapons are not effective at any range.

So we have a weapon that is powerful, but very limited ammo.  It can only be used in medium/close range.  The characters that use it will be less effective in melee.  Sounds ok!

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 06:33:38 pm »
I don't find Chucky to be that effective anyways, most of the time I see him near the bottom of the chart though sometimes he has really good games. He can stay alive sure, but that doesn't mean he's doing much.

That's why I prefer a hybrid build anyways and carrying just 2 stacks of axes. Even when you get pretty good at throwing there's still a big amount of random chance involved (large reticule, people dodgeing). I don't want to depend on it for kills but its nice when I do get some. Instead I can use throwing the augment my effectiveness as a fighter, gives me tactical options like the vikings and romans used it for, make people nervous, guns down fleeing people, and forces S key heroes to come back to me and fight.

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 05:28:17 am »
This is how throwing should be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8ByreRfUo&feature=player_detailpage#t=81s

(I don't even watch the show, but the clip was entertaining enough.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline Rusty_Shacklefjord

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: One Man Army
  • Game nicks: Erik_Magnusson
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 11:25:23 pm »
I guess the devs don't care about the throwing scourge on NA servers.

In every 5-6 man blob of enemies there are at least 2-3 pure throwers standing just out of range and continuously flinging projectiles while you're trying to fight. In big blobs there are more like 5-10, and if just one of these shit flingers hit you, you're dead. They're pretty much everywhere and it's really, REALLY obnoxious. This is definitely the biggest single issue in cRPG right now. It's MUCH worse than horse xbows. These assholes aren't just a flavor of the month; they're not going away unless the devs do something, which apparently will never happen.

So, I'm locking the thread and going to weep silently in a corner for a few hours while I mourn this sad state of affairs.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:01:58 am by Rusty_Shacklefjord »
I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.